Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:23 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times

Advertisements

While Kevin Costner's role was of a very caring, nice employer, his one line got me...."did you see that the CEO of your company made over 700x what the average employee made....do you think he worked 700x harder?"

Typical liberal, hollywood line.

How much more do major actors, singers and other "artists" make than their support people, (which is what employees are)?

How much more does a guy like Kevin Costner make on a movie than the cameramen, key grips, and other people necessary to make a movie earn?

Why the double standard?

Have you ever considered this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:26 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
They are Hollywood actors. Their opinions are meaningless. We pay them to entertain us and make us laugh. We don't pay them for their intellectual ability (or lack of it). Their importance in life is on the same level as the court jesters from 500 years ago. They just have more money.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
While Kevin Costner's role was of a very caring, nice employer, his one line got me...."did you see that the CEO of your company made over 700x what the average employee made....do you think he worked 700x harder?"

How much more do major actors, singers and other "artists" make than their support people, (which is what employees are)?

How much more does a guy like Kevin Costner make on a movie than the cameramen, key grips, and other people necessary to make a movie earn?

Why the double standard?

I have brought this up before. These actors are getting $40 million for basically speaking lines written for them by other people, while the hard working crew members are lucky to get a couple thousand dollars.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:31 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Firstly; Kevin is an actor and he was playing a role, using words assigned to him by a screenwriter. Those were not HIS thoughts.

Do you own season's tickets to a major sports venue? Do you watch sports on your television; if so you are also contributing to the biggest hoax/scam/inequity perpetrated on the free world.

At least with sports and entertainers, you're getting entertained in the process whereas, far too many CEO's are ripping you off at the shareholder end of the equation while delivering nothing tangible in return.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:32 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,370,905 times
Quote:

Why the double standard?

Call me liberal, call me whatever you want... There is indeed a "double standard."

YouTube - ‪The L-Curve: Income Distribution of the U.S.‬‏

Peace,
brian

Old 06-14-2011, 09:39 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Yep, as suspected the Left covers for the multi millionaire Hollyweirders. If they are rich and on THEIR side, it's ok, they don't count and can not pay all the taxes they want.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Firstly; Kevin is an actor and he was playing a role, using words assigned to him by a screenwriter. Those were not HIS thoughts.

Do you own season's tickets to a major sports venue? Do you watch sports on your television; if so you are also contributing to the biggest hoax/scam/inequity perpetrated on the free world.

At least with sports and entertainers, you're getting entertained in the process whereas, far too many CEO's are ripping you off at the shareholder end of the equation while delivering nothing tangible in return.
So, if CEO's performed a few magic tricks, it would be better?

I have absolutely nothing against athletes, actors, singers, artists, etc. making what they make.

I do have a problem with guys like springsteen, affleck, moore, etc. complaining about "the rich" and "tax rates" when they, in fact, try to beat paying theirs at every turn.

People earn what the market will bear.

Only 600 or so people on the planet can consistently play baseball at the major league level. Therefore, they are paid what their value is to the profit of the team.

The same with actors. There are only a few who can draw millions upon millions of people into the theater.

The same goes for singers, songwriters.

They earn what the market will bear.

The point is the hypocrisy.

CEO's are demonized, entertainers are lionized (as long as they're speaking out against "the wealthy")

Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
I have never seen a hollywood movie star rob his whole company, employees, and every one of the shareholders and shatter their lives. Can you spell enron.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have never seen a hollywood movie star rob his whole company, employees, and every one of the shareholders and shatter their lives. Can you spell enron.
I don't know, I heard Michael Moore left his employess out to dry.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
So, if CEO's performed a few magic tricks, it would be better?

I have absolutely nothing against athletes, actors, singers, artists, etc. making what they make.

I do have a problem with guys like springsteen, affleck, moore, etc. complaining about "the rich" and "tax rates" when they, in fact, try to beat paying theirs at every turn.

People earn what the market will bear.

Only 600 or so people on the planet can consistently play baseball at the major league level. Therefore, they are paid what their value is to the profit of the team.

The same with actors. There are only a few who can draw millions upon millions of people into the theater.

The same goes for singers, songwriters.

They earn what the market will bear.

The point is the hypocrisy.

CEO's are demonized, entertainers are lionized (as long as they're speaking out against "the wealthy")
What also bothers me about people like Springsteen is that he actually thinks his shows are worth ~$200 a seat!
Where is the outrage from the Lefties that their heros such as Springsteen and the Rolling Stones charge outrageous ticket prices simply because they can?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies