Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times

Advertisements

We do in our state and while some others do many don't. I wonder why?

It is good for all around, the taxpayer gets hit with less taxes and the prisoners seem to enjoy the work.

Do you know who takes care of my yard up to the right of way?

Why, here is a picture of a yard work crew hard at work.

They mow, trim and if I put flowers out they will plant them. Zero cost to me as a taxpayer.

Wonder why I pay less then $100/month in property taxes, have trash picked up twice a week (Tuesday and Friday) for $4.50/month and yet Georgia spends more money on education than California? Yep, putting prisoners to work saves taxpayers money that can be better spent on other things.

I see prisoner chain gangs all the time working hard so I have a better place to live. Pick up litter, pave roads, install sewer and water lines etc.

All this can be done with prisoner labor.

But it isn't just garbage pick up either. Prisoner labor can be used on any government project like laying new sewer lines.

(Note to mods, I took these pictures myself).

Nobody is made to work, these prisoners volunteer to work outside and it is either work outside or spend your day in your cell adjacent to another prisoners who is having a psychotic episode screaming like a mad man while smearing feces on the wall.

Ever been inside a Georgia jail? I have doing inspections and it isn't nice. They are air conditioned but the temp is set just below heat stroke... about 84 degrees and the air doesn't move. Bad smells permeate everything.

If they misbehave they can be barred from working out side with is considered by the prisoners who have the privilege a major punishment.

To save taxpayer money they also work on government public works projects such as renovating court houses. When I bid a government job and don't have to include laborers because they come from the prison and I can have as many as I want for free. Typically I will send one or two of my workers and request three or four prisoners as helpers sometimes even getting someone skilled in the trade. On a $300,000 job I can save $40,000 in labor resulting in a bid of $240,000 returning the $60,000 to the taxpayers of the county they are working in.

There are s do that along with all the heavy lifting, grunt work etc. and they hop right to it too... buy em a pizza for lunch (must be delivered) and they will work like madmen to be on your job the next day.

If they tire of the work, never heard of one doing it, they have the right to request returning to their cell at any time. It isn't slave labor it's volunteerism at its finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies