Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 06:34 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
My dad is also an African immigrant and also experienced racism. The difference between the way he experiences racism vs. my African American mother? She was conditioned to believe that she was subservient to whites whereas he had no racial hierarchy in his mind. Does he laugh at African Americans because his experience is fundamentally different in a way that puts him at an advantage? Nope. You know why? Because HE can appreciate how lucky he is to not have been socially trained to associate his race with inferiority, which is something that obviously you or your parents cannot. I can only shake my head at Africans who hold a grudge against a group people that they have a psychological leg up over because they buy into the "blacks are bad, whites are good" bull**** that American culture spoon-feeds to them... it's sad to me that the majority of the cultural exchange from America to Africa is our cinema, because it's among the most racist of all of our media.
Whose holding any grudges? I'm just not going to cosign the victimization spiel which you've embraced.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Look.

Your community needs a conservative approach to government.

In another two or three generations, you'll look back at these past 5 decades and say "what the hell were we thinking?".
My community? Sierra Vista, Arizona is already fairly conservative.

And i don't expect to be alive in 2 or 3 generations.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:49 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
This thread is still going on? Jeez

Ok conservatives, we get it, you hate blacks. We know.
How funny! Based on your accent thread I assumed you were some racist conservative guy!

I guess bigots come in all shapes and sizes and political backgrounds. Live and learn.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
So basically you're trying to use Oprah Winfrey to argue that slavery was a good thing. How pathetically stupid.
I don't see that at all. Oprah is an extraordinary individual. She had plenty to deter her but didn't let it. There are others like her--the man whose like was made into the movie who was homeless and by sheer force of will had a financial firm take him on as a trainee and who is now wealthy. Every race has such people. It also has those who unless plunked in the good place will never try because they feel they can't. And a vast inbetween in which the degree of attitude matters.

The problem is that culture has become a problem, not a help. We should glorify those like Oprah and this gentleman who weren't good a sports or other 'black' things but succeeded as an example to look toward. But what do we see? Gangster rappers, sports 'stars' who act badly, and the like held as the hero's.

I think its true that should no blacks have every come the decendents of those who did would still be in a lot of hurt which makes us look pretty good. Slaves went plenty of other places too and part of the pattern which still exists was the strong preying on the weak, often as slavers. I mean other black african tribes here. If they came here would have made little difference.

But the 'past' can only influence so far. Individuals have to choose not to be victums. They have to teach their children values which will lead them out of the state of victumhood. If the height of success is lots of babies and fast cars and drug connections then you are going nowhere fast. The problem is, you cannot fix a culture from without. Until those who live in it decide to remake black culture, it will continue to trap those who can't just say no into thinking of themselves as victums.

Did the legacy of slavery contribute? of course. Did the poverty contribute, true too. But at some point that has to be left behind. That does not come from what was but the present. If you can't live in the present, and let past be past you condem yourself to being trapped in it.

Was slavery a plus? We can't say. But we can say it was but isn't and let it go. Invent a machine which looks at alternate timelines where someone else was the slaves and fast forward to Africa today and maybe you could say either way, but until then the good or bad of the past is simply something that was and the results should be negotiable.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
But you know they say that those that forget about the past are doomed to repeat it. It's like a Jew telling his child, "Forget the Holocaust, let's just move forward..."
Not the same idea at all. I grew up with a lot of Jewish friends. Their families didn't say to forget or ignore. But they and the friends I've had in adulthood did not walk around thinking of*themselves* as victums. Maybe relatives or family but they didn't approach life with a victum mentality.

If its claimed that as slavery was practiced, and racism, then those were NOT slaves and those who have grown up since it went out of vogue to have seperate waiting rooms for the bus should see themselves as victums then you have the *seed* of the problem. People decided if they are victums and when they decide they won't be things change.

Victums are voluntary beyond the first generation.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Not the same idea at all. I grew up with a lot of Jewish friends. Their families didn't say to forget or ignore. But they and the friends I've had in adulthood did not walk around thinking of*themselves* as victums. Maybe relatives or family but they didn't approach life with a victum mentality.

If its claimed that as slavery was practiced, and racism, then those were NOT slaves and those who have grown up since it went out of vogue to have seperate waiting rooms for the bus should see themselves as victums then you have the *seed* of the problem. People decided if they are victums and when they decide they won't be things change.

Victums are voluntary beyond the first generation.
The Jews never thought of themselves as "victims?"

That's the first i've heard of that.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:52 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,241 times
I read these threads and then I laugh at how civilians accuse the military of being full of racists.
You all need therapy.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:57 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,687,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
My dad is also an African immigrant and also experienced racism. The difference between the way he experiences racism vs. my African American mother? She was conditioned to believe that she was subservient to whites whereas he had no racial hierarchy in his mind. Does he laugh at African Americans because his experience is fundamentally different in a way that puts him at an advantage? Nope. You know why? Because HE can appreciate how lucky he is to not have been socially trained to associate his race with inferiority, which is something that obviously you or your parents cannot. I can only shake my head at Africans who hold a grudge against a group people that they have a psychological leg up over because they buy into the "blacks are bad, whites are good" bull**** that American culture spoon-feeds to them... it's sad to me that the majority of the cultural exchange from America to Africa is our cinema, because it's among the most racist of all of our media.
Examples of said "Media Conditioning"?

Old 06-18-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
I read these threads and then I laugh at how civilians accuse the military of being full of racists.
You all need therapy.
The military isn't LESS racist. It's has the same cross section of assh*les that the rest of this country has. It's not like the Pentagon draws only the most virtuous of Americans for military service.

That aside, the institution is regulated fairly strongly and certain behaviors are not openly tolerated...."openly" being the operative word here. At my first duty station (Vicenza, Italy), i had to run up on a few cats for slick talking on a couple of occasions and the problems were quickly quelled. After that, i had few if any problems.

But to say it's "full of racists" is probably inaccurate. But there are plenty, that's for damn sure.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The Jews never thought of themselves as "victims?"

That's the first i've heard of that.
I was replying to the implication that the poster had that saying slavery should not be used as a crutch is like saying the Holocaust should just be forgotten. The people who were instiutionally murdered were victums of a specific act perpetuated by a long history. The implication was that it is equal. In some ways it is. But the really important part is that its perpetuated and made infinitely worse when people find comfort in seeing themselves as victums of the past.

Black culture has continued that, at least in some portions. This is why the only fix can come from within.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies