Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
That's 10 million killed over hundreds of years, versus 6 million killed in under 50 years. Keep in mind that the holocaust was much more recent as well, so it stands to reason the effects should be much stronger now.
Not necessarily.

The jews consider themselves as having been persecuted for thousands of years.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Not necessarily.

The jews consider themselves as having been persecuted for thousands of years.
If anything, that strengthens my point.

Also, we're talking slavery here. Persecution of Jews during the same time frame (in Europe at least) was not near as bad as slavery.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 PM

577 posts, read 900,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

But, I feel ongoing racism, especially toward descendants of American slavery is a bigger thorn in the side of today's "underacheiving" black Americans. Notice how much "better" black imports from the Caribbean or Africa are doing here.
You refute your own point. If racism is holding back the descendants of slaves, why do the "imports" flourish in a supposedly racist country? Especially 1rst and 2nd generation "imports" who have no discernible accent? If racists discriminate and hold people back, you would expect the entire lot to struggle.

Also explain to me why asians and Indian-Americans do so amazingly well academically and economically in this country, if it's so racist here.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
If anything, that strengthens my point.

Also, we're talking slavery here. Persecution of Jews during the same time frame (in Europe at least) was not near as bad as slavery.
Yes, you are right.

However, the persecution of african-americans is still on-going to a much larger degree than that of the jews.

Sorry, I lost my train of thought!...

Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, you are right.

However, the persecution of african-americans is still on-going to a much larger degree than that of the jews.

Sorry, I lost my train of thought!...
There is no denying that. I don't doubt it's a factor, I'm not one of these guys who will sit here and flat out deny that racism exists, it does.

I do think that we have more stereotypes these days, rather than blind racism (two very different things), but both have their negative effects nonetheless, and have the same end result.

It is interesting to me that certain things have actually gotten worse for the black community in the last 50 years (out of wedlock birth rates for example) while racism has no doubt declined faster than at any other point in American history.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,852,692 times
Quote:
I understand... but just for the record, I think the 10 million refers to Africans in the slave trade itself... Not the African-Americans who were tortured and killed over the generations on American soil...

Not trying to pick a fight... just saying...

Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,265,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
You refute your own point. If racism is holding back the descendants of slaves, why do the "imports" flourish in a supposedly racist country? Especially 1rst and 2nd generation "imports" who have no discernible accent? If racists discriminate and hold people back, you would expect the entire lot to struggle.

Also explain to me why asians and Indian-Americans do so amazingly well academically and economically in this country, if it's so racist here.
I know you don't believe this and probably never will, but to this day blacks are much more discriminated than any other ethnic group. Asian and Indian Americans definitely face discrimination, don't get me wrong, but to a much lesser degree than blacks.

And you also have to consider that the majority of asian and indians that immigrate over here are upper class. The only "lower class" immigrants we have here on a large scale are south east asians refugees from the vietnam era.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I understand... but just for the record, I think the 10 million refers to Africans in the slave trade itself... Not the African-Americans who were tortured and killed over the generations on American soil...

Not trying to pick a fight... just saying...
You may be right, I just looked this up since I never did know the number to be honest. The fact is though, once millions are killed, it can't get much worse. Also, in the last 100 years, the numbers aren't even close.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,265,611 times
Quote:
It is interesting to me that certain things have actually gotten worse for the black community in the last 50 years (out of wedlock birth rates for example) while racism has no doubt declined faster than at any other point in American history.
It's gotten worse for everyone, not just blacks. Due to republican policies our society in general has regressed, and the regression isn't limited to one particular race.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I know you don't believe this and probably never will, but to this day blacks are much more discriminated than any other ethnic group. Asian and Indian Americans definitely face discrimination, don't get me wrong, but to a much lesser degree than blacks.
You left out that the poster also mentioned African immigrants. Same racial makeup as American blacks (if anything, they're more black, since many American blacks are mixed), but they seem to do much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies