Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should churches pay taxes?
Yes 64 69.57%
No 27 29.35%
I don't care 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
currently no

but I think all donations made to churches, unions, political pacs, committees should ALL be taxable

if a politician RECEIVES donations of 1 billion dollars he/she should pay taxes on that INCOME....be that would be the only tax a liberal would never pass
Thats what I was referring to.

If the church brings in 100,000 dollars a year, and gives half of it to a preacher, and didn't spend it on charity, then they are hiring a good CEO essentially.

Do corporations not have to pay taxes on the earnings that they give to their CEO as his salary? They do have to pay taxes on that. I think churches should operate under the same principle.

You give the money to charitable work, fine, no taxes. You use it to expand your building, pay a preacher, or throw a party, then that money should be taxed as income to the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 11:23 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thats what I was referring to.

If the church brings in 100,000 dollars a year, and gives half of it to a preacher, and didn't spend it on charity, then they are hiring a good CEO essentially.

Do corporations not have to pay taxes on the earnings that they give to their CEO as his salary? They do have to pay taxes on that. I think churches should operate under the same principle.

You give the money to charitable work, fine, no taxes. You use it to expand your building, pay a preacher, or throw a party, then that money should be taxed as income to the church.
I dont care if the money is used for charity or not.. money coming in is INCOME and should be taxed as such

I dont care if it is the DNC, RNC, NAACP, AFLCIO, an enviromental group a church, or an athiest group.. or whatever...if they RECEIVE money that money should be taxed....doent matter if its a group or an individual

Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
I dont care if the money is used for charity or not.. money coming in is INCOME and should be taxed as such

I dont care if it is the DNC, RNC, NAACP, AFLCIO, an enviromental group a church, or an athiest group.. or whatever...if they RECEIVE money that money should be taxed....doent matter if its a group or an individual
Now that I disagree with.

If GE donates earnings to the red cross, they pay 0 taxes on the earnings donated.

Churches should be no different. Growing the church, paying for personnel, paying bills, etc should be taxable income. Giving it to poor people or providing them with food should not be taxed.

I just think that everyone should be treated equally, as of today, that is not the case.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:35 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
currently no

but I think all donations made to churches, unions, political pacs, committees should ALL be taxable
That is certainly constitutional. All income can be taxed, there are no provisions within the Sixteenth Amendment to allow for exceptions. However, it may not be very popular. It would also reduce the amount that is being donated.

Quote:
if a politician RECEIVES donations of 1 billion dollars he/she should pay taxes on that INCOME....be that would be the only tax a liberal would never pass
If all income is taxable, and you make no allowances for donations, then taxing those donations would amount to double taxation. A better solution would be to prohibit the recipients of donors from using those donations as personal income. They could only use the donation for the purpose in which it was intended.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:

If GE donates earnings to the red cross, they pay 0 taxes on the earnings donated.

Churches should be no different. Growing the church, paying for personnel, paying bills, etc should be taxable income. Giving it to poor people or providing them with food should not be taxed.

I just think that everyone should be treated equally, as of today, that is not the case.
if GE donates (gives) (just a number) 1 million to the red cross..then the red cross RECEIVED 1 million,, it had an INCOME of at least 1 million..then they (the red cross) should pay a TAX on that income...let's say (and I think all taxes should be a flat rate across the board) 10%...that means the charity part still has 900k..but uncle sam go his 100k

TRILLIONS of dollars go untaxed due to 'non-profit' status...its time to do the liberal thing and tax them

why discriminate, when it comes to taxes..it shouldnt natter how much you made, or was donated, or received as a donation..income is income and should be taxed evenly to EVERYONE...either that or tax spending (a consumption tax)

Old 06-16-2011, 11:47 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:

I agree, in part. Everyone should be treated equally under the law, and any payments a church makes for personnel (including priests, nuns, pastors, preachers, law-clergy, etc., etc.) is personal income and should be taxable.

However, the First Amendment says that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." which was latter applied to the States and local government by the Supreme Court in 1925. Which would prohibit local, State, and Federal laws, including tax laws, from being enacted with regard to an established religion. That would exempt the property of any established religion from being taxed, but it does not prohibit the personal income from being taxed since that is under the authority of the Sixteenth Amendment.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:14 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, it does. What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." are you not able to comprehend? That includes tax laws, for those who are too stupid to realize that taxes are laws enacted by Congress.
So churches are exempt from all laws enacted by Congress now? Really?
Seems like you slept through 5th grade civics class. Tax law is not a law that establishes a religion, or prohibits the establishing of a religion or has anything to do with it. So it has nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies