Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:24 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times

Advertisements

Social Security has now reached the point where it pays out more than it takes in. Congress makes the problem worse by raiding social security monies to pay for other government programs. Here is an interactive chart which shows the impact on social security of various changes that could be made to the program. What would YOU do? AARP Pivots on Social Security Benefit Cut - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 PM

58 posts, read 51,036 times
Increase retirement age, and means-test benefits. No reason any millionaire should need SSI.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:35 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Solvent? First the Fed should not take moneys from a program it created, paid for by working Americans at a tune of 4 trillion dollars. Pay back our money now! Wall street can take all it wants, the Pentagon and all the contractors, but heaven forbid the regular worker can forget about their paid benefits.

Supplemental Security Income -SSI is a joint Federal-state run welfare program. It is not Social Security Insurance that workers pay.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:35 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Social Security has now reached the point where it pays out more than it takes in. Congress makes the problem worse by raiding social security monies to pay for other government programs. Here is an interactive chart which shows the impact on social security of various changes that could be made to the program. What would YOU do? AARP Pivots on Social Security Benefit Cut - WSJ.com
No. You are wrong and another victim for right wing propaganda.

1) The trust fund is still growing. And will be growing till 2022

2) The trust fund is not "being raided" by Congress.

3) Even after the trust fund starts to decline 2022, SS will still pay FULL benefits till 2036. After that benefits would need to be cut by 23%. This is if we do NOTHING to fix the problem.

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/TR/2011/tr2011.pdf

To fix it...all you need to do is eliminate the payroll cap. ...But I don't think US voters are sophisticated enough to stick up for their own self interest.

Last edited by padcrasher; 06-17-2011 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 02:36 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
get all the young drug addicts alcoholics and fat idiots off the rolls. I know 5 people under 50 collecting SS disability and all could work if they wanted to. A guy just got busted,seems he had a gig breaking young horses yet was collecting SS disability for a bad back and the slouch was a truckdriver.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Wall the program off from being spent on anything other than the program itself. Start now gradually upping the retirement age to 70 by 2050. Shave benefits until the program doesn't put out more than it takes in. Stop shaving benefits once it is on a path that is sustainable.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:28 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Get rid of the payroll cap. I have hit the cap for many years and fully expect to draw from it so why shouldn't I pay more in?

I'm not overly keen or increasing the age because, frankly, it gets hard to work when you get into your 60s. My mom is very healthy and has finally retired from a high-stress job at age 67. She just couldn't take it anymore--the commute, the 10 hour days and the pressure--not like she could in her 40s and 50s. I think mentally, it would have been tough to go on 3 more years, and she needs that SS money.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:34 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Wall the program off from being spent on anything other than the program itself. Start now gradually upping the retirement age to 70 by 2050. Shave benefits until the program doesn't put out more than it takes in. Stop shaving benefits once it is on a path that is sustainable.
i dont know what you do for a living but in const our bodies are shot well before age 70.I spent 10 years as a const manager but cant do that anymore for one reason and one reason only,I cant speak mexican.So its back in the field for me. the gov cost me my future with open borders so I'm up a creek.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:35 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Social Security has now reached the point where it pays out more than it takes in. Congress makes the problem worse by raiding social security monies to pay for other government programs. Here is an interactive chart which shows the impact on social security of various changes that could be made to the program. What would YOU do?
AARP only lists the options that they want to be considered, so that site is flawed.

I would gradually raise the retirement age to 70 and the early retirement age to 65. I would change the program for anyone under age 55 to be 100% participant funded. You get back what your payments will support on an individual basis just like a private retirement fund.

Since this is a contributory retirement plan, it is totally unfair to reduce anyone's benefits based on income or assets. That only penalizes the people who have been diligent and saved for their retirement and rewards the sluggards who have been irresponsible.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
get all the young drug addicts alcoholics and fat idiots off the rolls.
Any estimates on how many recipients would be included under that criteria or are you just ranting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies