Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
One wonders why in the blue hell Germany keeps bailing them out.
Simple:

Greece is part of the Euro. As such, if it defaults, its going to cause a major decline in the International Market, especially the Euro. If the Euro declines, Germany's economy declines; as does all European Nations in the Eurozone.

I can gurantee at that meeting on Sunday, Germany, amongst others, are kicking themselves in the a$$ for allowing Greece in. Should have left them in the Dracma and been done with it.

Greece WILL eventually fall; its only a matter of time. These bailouts cannont last forever. The Greek people are refusing to change their way of life and therefore, WILL default. Once they do, Ireland and Portugal will follow and the International Market will take a nose dive.

I sure as hell hope the people of the United States and, morever, its government are watching this. The same will occur here, unless a handle on social security and medicare is not made. Those programs are the "sacred cows" of the "people" here. And they too will fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 06:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 824,843 times
Wouldn't that help the US DOLLAR as a stable currency if the Euro takes a nose-dive?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Wouldn't that help the US DOLLAR as a stable currency if the Euro takes a nose-dive?
If you are referring to the exchange rate: Yes. It would help it a great deal. How much of a problem Greece defaulting on their debts and what it would do to the US economy is up for debate. I've heard it will ruin us, I've heard it will do little to nothing.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:56 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Do they not teach economics 101 in the Greek schools? They are dooming themselves and yet refuse to change. Won't pay taxes yet expect their publicly funded jobs to continue? "Derp da durr."
Couldnt the same be said here in America, where 50% of americans pay no federal income tax, but continue to want more and more while moaning everytime cuts need to be made?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Unless of course the currency traders believe our problems are very similar, then it'll cause ours to nose dive for a period of time as well out of fear.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
If you are referring to the exchange rate: Yes. It would help it a great deal. How much of a problem Greece defaulting on their debts and what it would do to the US economy is up for debate. I've heard it will ruin us, I've heard it will do little to nothing.
We are very globally connected now. Yes, Greece going down for the count will hurt us.

I would think China might be the only country not terribly impacted.
The Great Depression originated in the US but spread worldwide.
And back then we were not so global.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Greece deserves what it is experiencing.

Sorta mirrors America don't it?

Government spending out of control

Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,323 times
Greece might be in Europe geographically but its political culture is decidedly third world. The Greek crisis could very likely spell the end of the Euro.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The workers at the electric companies do not like the idea of being privatized so they cut power. The public workers DO NOT want to be privatized.

Folks need to follow what is going on here.

Power cuts hit Greece as protests grow - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Power-cuts-hit-Greece-as-apf-386729946.html?x=0 - broken link)
"Greece was hit by rolling blackouts Monday as employees at the main power utility began 48-hour rolling strikes to protest the company's privatization, part of austerity plans needed to avoid a national debt default."
I assume they were fired?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Hardly anyone in Greece pays taxes, I think 90% of the population pays no taxes, if not more.

You reap what you sow.
47% of households in the USA pay no income tax.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies