Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which statement below do you most agree with?
The judge should be thrown out of office and the mother pardoned 48 71.64%
The judge should be applauded for his decision 11 16.42%
Spanking isn't good for children but the judge should not have intervened 5 7.46%
The case should make its way to the Supreme Court 3 4.48%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:20 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,757,537 times

Advertisements

Texas Mom Gets Probation, Loses Kids, for Spanking her Daughter - Fox News Latino

Absolutely unbelievable. This judge should lose his law license and be thrown out of office IMO. He doesn't even understand Texas law:

......§ 9.61. PARENT-CHILD.(a) The use of force, but not
deadly force, against a child younger than 18 years is justified1) if the actor is the child's parent or stepparent or is acting in loco parentis to the child; and (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is necessary to discipline the child or to safeguard or promote his welfare.
(b) For purposes of this section, "in loco parentis"
includes grandparent and guardian, any person acting by, through,
or under the direction of a court with jurisdiction over the child, and anyone who has express or implied consent of the parent or parents.

How dare he take away a parents right to discipline their own child. And in TEXAS of all places. I would expect this type of idiocy from San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 01:26 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,784,683 times
I never understood why people think hitting a kid teaches them a positive lesson.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:28 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Spanking a two year old (so hard marks were left) is inexcusable. Kudos to this judge.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,841,178 times
I have 2 kids and though I rarely spank (seems most AP/child centered parents think parents who spank do it all day long for some reason) I do feel it teaches them lessons if used in the right context.

If I were this mom I would be finding a civil rights lawyer and would have done so immediately, this is just ridiculous on the part of that judge.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM

760 posts, read 686,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I never understood why people think hitting a kid teaches them a positive lesson.
It doesn't help at that young of an age, but the thought of my dad getting the belt kept me in line as a kid. I'm not sure what my options are going to be after taking toys away and time outs stop working for my 4 year old.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:35 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,841,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Spanking a two year old (so hard marks were left) is inexcusable. Kudos to this judge.

So a mark is abuse??

My two year old bruises when she bumps into a wall. I guess I could be seen as neglectful since I "allow" her to walk into walls. What is a "hard mark." We also don't know the back story to the mom and grandma. Was this the paternal or maternal grandmother? Also were there any lingering custody issues or family disputes regarding the children?

She swatted the girl on the butt with her hand for crying out loud. There is nothing illegal about it.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:39 PM

7,816 posts, read 6,402,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So a mark is abuse??

My two year old bruises when she bumps into a wall. I guess I could be seen as neglectful since I "allow" her to walk into walls. What is a "hard mark." We also don't know the back story to the mom and grandma. Was this the paternal or maternal grandmother? Also were there any lingering custody issues or family disputes regarding the children?

She swatted the girl on the butt with her hand for crying out loud. There is nothing illegal about it.
Yeah my cousin is the same way. If I poke her in the arm she'll have a bruise there within hours.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:40 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,757,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I never understood why people think spanking a kid teaches them a positive lesson.
This thread is not about hitting. It is about spanking and so I took the liberty of correcting your quote above.

Because millions of us grew up with very loving and good parents who spanked us as children, and we realize the positive impact it had on us.

Because millions of us who have had children realize that never spanking a two or three year old is doing them a huge disservice and will ultimately harm them much more than a reasonable NON-abusive spanking.

Because millions of us have had two year olds who will absolutely REFUSE to obey and will scream at the top of their lungs and throw temper tantrums in public if they do not get their way, and the ONLY way to correct this misbehavior is with a spanking.

That is why.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:40 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,660,995 times
There is not enough information in that article to make a choice.

Although, I had three children and I spanked one of them once, and then apologized to her. It made me feel really bad, and I knew it was my impatience, not anything she did that was terribly bad.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM

7,816 posts, read 6,402,176 times
Something tells me that this judge would have been much, much happier if the mother would have stabbed the kid through the skull with a coathanger in the womb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies