Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which statement below do you most agree with?
The judge should be thrown out of office and the mother pardoned 48 71.64%
The judge should be applauded for his decision 11 16.42%
Spanking isn't good for children but the judge should not have intervened 5 7.46%
The case should make its way to the Supreme Court 3 4.48%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:23 PM

674 posts, read 699,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embla View Post
No, parents shouldn't hit their kids. I'm shocked that so many find this normal, acceptable and in fact recommendable. This is illegal in increasing parts of Europe, thank god.
Not illegal in any part of Africa that I know of...thank the ancestors. And African children have a lot more respect for their elders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,215,447 times
the judge is a jerk for his abuse of power, and the prosecuting attorney too. both should be fired or removed from office and the woman should be pardoned. I do not agree with abuse against children, but spanking in accordance with discipline is fine by me.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the judge is a jerk for his abuse of power, and the prosecuting attorney too. both should be fired or removed from office and the woman should be pardoned. I do not agree with abuse against children, but spanking in accordance with discipline is fine by me.
How did the judge or the ADA abuse their power?

Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,215,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

for prosecuting a mother disciplining her child. it is none of their business and they should have stayed out of it.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 PM

545 posts, read 400,837 times
another one of these threads?

look, if you were spanked as a child, you are much more likely to look at spanking with a positive light then those who were never spanked as a child....

to those who were never spanked its unthinkable to them that spanking is necessary for they didn't need it when they were kids and further more found ways to raise their own kids without spanking them..

for those who were spanked its unthinkable for them of not to spank their kids...besides, spanking kept their asses in line when they were kids and they are proud to spank their own kids when need be..even brag about it..

you see the massive gulf of opinion and thoughts on this?...it all comes down to how we were raised as kids ourselves that greatly determines how we are going to raise our kids....

you really can't argue with people's personal childhood memories..if they thought getting spanked in public was a much deserved ass-kicking in public where total strangers had to see it when they were a kid and are proud to do it to their own kids.....well, that's it...that's just the way it is....these threads are getting old.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:46 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,400,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Texas Mom Gets Probation, Loses Kids, for Spanking her Daughter - Fox News Latino

Absolutely unbelievable. This judge should lose his law license and be thrown out of office IMO. He doesn't even understand Texas law:

......§ 9.61. PARENT-CHILD.(a) The use of force, but not
deadly force, against a child younger than 18 years is justified1) if the actor is the child's parent or stepparent or is acting in loco parentis to the child; and (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is necessary to discipline the child or to safeguard or promote his welfare.
(b) For purposes of this section, "in loco parentis"
includes grandparent and guardian, any person acting by, through,
or under the direction of a court with jurisdiction over the child, and anyone who has express or implied consent of the parent or parents.

How dare he take away a parents right to discipline their own child. And in TEXAS of all places. I would expect this type of idiocy from San Francisco.
I think the judge should get the boot. Something is very wrong when the state ( TX public schoo l) can dish out corporal punishment to a studnet, but you, as a parent, have no rights to your own kid.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
They did not follow state law. Its not against the law in TX to spank your kid. The public school system can do it, but the parent can't, don't you see what's wrong with this picture ?

Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,294,174 times
Quote:
for prosecuting a mother disciplining her child. it is none of their business and they should have stayed out of it.
They used to say that about wife beating, too.

I read the article, and the article that was linked within it. One thing caught my eye in the linked article:

Quote:
It was her daughter's grandmother who noticed red marks on the child's rear end, and took her to Driscoll Children's Hospital to be checked out.
This sounds to me like the child was not spanked in the grandmother's presence, and that the red marks lasted for a not insignificant period of time. First the grandmother had to notice them (likely during a bath, diaper change or a baby nekkid run), and then they had to stay there long enough to be seen at the hospital. Usually, you have to wait a while at the hospital before you're seen. So, significant period of time.

Why is it necessary to hit a <2 year old child so hard as to leave lasting marks on her? I've tapped a small child before (used to be a nanny & babysitter), but never hurt a child like that. And children of that age are normally wearing a diaper, which would cushion blows to the buttocks. Did this mother feel the need to strip her child to smack her bare bottom? Seems mom has an anger management problem.

Anyway, those are the thoughts that occur to me after spending lots of time with little kids, and reading the articles. I believe spanking should be rare, and not injurious to the child. If you are injuring your children, it is not "discipline" (training), it is abuse.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:51 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
She broke the law. She should have been prosecuted.

You can spank in Texas - but even the attorney general of Texas' guidelines says:
Quote:
punishment is abusive if it causes injury. A blow that causes a red mark that fades in an hour is not likely to be judged abusive. On the other hand, a blow that leaves a bruise, welt, or swelling, or requires medical attention, probably would be judged abusive
She whooped this baby (a 2 year old baby) and left welts so concerning that the grandparents took her to a hospital. It concerned the doctors and/or social services enough to take the baby from her and contact the police. It concerned the police enough to recommend prosecution to the DA, and it concerned the DA enough to file charges.

Oh, and she admitted her guilt. She acknowledged she caused injury to her baby beyond that of "normal" spanking and plead guilty. The only misconduct here was hers in hitting a baby to the point of leaving welts.

I don't understand spanking any kid ever, but especially a baby. Anyone who spanks a 1 or 2 year old isn't fit to be a parent and should have the child removed.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
About child custody? - now you're just speculating and making things up.

Activist judge? All the judge did was accept a guilty plea, assign (agreed to) punishment (2 years probation and $50 fine), and admonish the admitted criminal.
The guilty plea was an insidious coercion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies