Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is America still a free country?
Yes 36 32.43%
No 67 60.36%
Not sure 8 7.21%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So you were fine with the USA PATRIOT Act,domestic wiretapping, and the incarceration without trial of a US citizen?
And that's somehow new? Ever heard of McCarthy?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:00 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
I wonder if these respondents would have answered in reverse 4 years ago.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 PM

565 posts, read 485,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
For those who believe this is not a free country...why do you choice to live here still?
Because you have no other choice..

Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Most racists would say not because we have a Black president.
Apparently many think Stupidity is a Constitutional Right

Old 06-22-2011, 12:32 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
For those who believe this is not a free country...why do you choice to live here still?

Free is not absolute, it's a relative term.

We are much less free today than 100 years ago.

We are much more free in the USA than many other countries.

But our freedom shrinks every year.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give the US a four or five. Libertarians would be the definition of a ten. Democrats about a one or two and Republicans about a three or four.

It is really unfortunate that modern day liberalism has been distorted and now supports the least amount of freedom.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:32 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
And that's somehow new? Ever heard of McCarthy?
Ummm,what does McCarthy(you DID know he was correct in his accusations right?) have to do with actual LAWS???

Old 06-22-2011, 12:53 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
O

Can someone please tell me in what ways we're "losing" our freedom?

You just have to look around. The list is extensive, but here is a start and these came to mind after about 3 minutes. A little research would produce thousands.

You are not free to hire anybody for any reason.

You are not free to sell many many products whenever you choose. Government tells you what days of the week you can sell.

You are not free to operate many businesses whenever you choose. Government tells you what your store hours are restricted to.

You are not free to grow pot.

You are not free to ship wine to another state in many cases.

You are not free to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

You are not free to tan twice in a 24 hour period.

You are not free to take your 16 year old child to a tanning salon.

You are not free to package toys with meals.

You are not free to combine two drinks into one package even when both drinks are legal.

You are not free to construct a house without a sediment fence.

You are not free to manufacture hair dryers without a sticker that says don't put it in the bath tub.

Many business are not free to set their own prices.. government controls prices.

Some business are not free to earn their own profits.... government tells them what profit they can earn.

You are not free to carry an open container of alcohol in your car... even if you have never had a drink of alcohol in your life.

You are not free to smoke flavored cigarettes (other than menthol.. those are exempted)

You are not free to smoke in your own business establishment.

As I said, the list is endless and grows every day.

Last edited by Roadking2003; 06-22-2011 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-22-2011, 01:10 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Rather a strange list of 'lost freedoms'.

Tanning? Inability to ship wine to another state ('in many cases'). I am not sure about mixing two drinks into one package.

I guess that if a person truly wants to believe that he or she is not 'free', then he or she can certainly name some laws (some obviously local, others Federal) that affect him or her personally.

Howard Stern used to have some creepy guy on his show who lamented the 'loss of freedom' because he could not have sex with underage boys.

Can you imagine some General, prior to the D-Day landings, making a speech to the soldiers saying "We are fighting for the freedom to tan twice in a 24-hour period!"

Old 06-22-2011, 01:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default Is America still a free country?

I feel pretty free to do whatever I want to do so I say yes for myself.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Rather a strange list of 'lost freedoms'.

Tanning? Inability to ship wine to another state ('in many cases'). I am not sure about mixing two drinks into one package.

I guess that if a person truly wants to believe that he or she is not 'free', then he or she can certainly name some laws (some obviously local, others Federal) that affect him or her personally.

Howard Stern used to have some creepy guy on his show who lamented the 'loss of freedom' because he could not have sex with underage boys.

Can you imagine some General, prior to the D-Day landings, making a speech to the soldiers saying "We are fighting for the freedom to tan twice in a 24-hour period!"
You might do better to ask yourself why there needs to be laws against such things...THEN decide how free you really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies