Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Oh for goodness sakes, I am embarrassed for the original poster. I am also disappointed I have to point out there are well established biochemical reasons for each of the diseases questioned. Although less well understood in ADHD.
There are biochemical reasons for everything humans do. Does that mean they are all diseases?

The imbalance can become to severe, which is when we get clinical depression and things of that ilk.

Lets take sex addiction for instance. There is a biochemical reason as to why men in particular want to have lots of sex, with lots of different reasons, but that doesn't mean its a disease. Its normal human behavior. Most depression and anxiety are normal human behavior.

My dog was stolen from my house two weeks ago, and that depresses me. But the only treatment I need is my dog back, or to slap the hell out of the girl that stole her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There are biochemical reasons for everything humans do. Does that mean they are all diseases?

The imbalance can become to severe, which is when we get clinical depression and things of that ilk.

Lets take sex addiction for instance. There is a biochemical reason as to why men in particular want to have lots of sex, with lots of different reasons, but that doesn't mean its a disease. Its normal human behavior. Most depression and anxiety are normal human behavior.

My dog was stolen from my house two weeks ago, and that depresses me. But the only treatment I need is my dog back, or to slap the hell out of the girl that stole her.
Ummmm there aren't biochemical imbalances for everything humans do. When biochemical imbalances occur you have disease.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Ummmm there aren't biochemical imbalances for everything humans do. When biochemical imbalances occur you have disease.
If I'm hungry, then my stomach sends signals to my brain, which creates chemicals that make me feel hungry.

Everything we do is controlled by chemicals that are created in the body, everything.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Do they exist, or is it just a way drug companies can find away to get people to buy their pills?
I'm sure it exists, but in a much smaller segment than the pharmaceutical companies would like us to believe.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If I'm hungry, then my stomach sends signals to my brain, which creates chemicals that make me feel hungry.

Everything we do is controlled by chemicals that are created in the body, everything.
Correct. When there is an imbalance in those chemicals, there is a disruption in those signals, hence disease.

In depression there is an an imbalance in neurotransmitters, antidepressants correct that imbalance.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Correct. When there is an imbalance in those chemicals, there is a disruption in those signals, hence disease.

In depression there is an an imbalance in neurotransmitters, antidepressants correct that imbalance.
Very true, and I will never deny the reality of clinical depression. Especially when one sees it first hand.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Yes they are real. Big Pharma exploited them but that doesn't mean the thing they exploited isn't real.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Yes they are real. Big Pharma exploited them but that doesn't mean the thing they exploited isn't real.
Exactly. A good case in point is depression in the elderly. It was a condition that was widely overlooked until pharma started to promote use of antidepressants in this population. It really has had positive results.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I'm sure it exists, but in a much smaller segment than the pharmaceutical companies would like us to believe.
I don't even think it's that so much as meds are brought in for treatment too soon too early. I think a lot of people do have great deals of anxiety and depression, but offering therapy, getting a pet, and regular exercise just isn't as financially lucrative (and requires more effort from the person) as offering a pill. And because many people don't want to put effort into getting better they also opt for the pill over other treatments that in most cases, are equally effective. I do think there is a time and place when meds need to be used, but they should be a last resort, not a first resort.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:45 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
They do exist.

Big pharma often wants us to believe that drugs are the main way to treat them. This is not true for all of them. Anxiety and depression can often be controlled and overcome by exercise, a healthy diet, maintaining a good network of friends, therapy, prayer, meditation, journaling, support groups, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies