Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 01:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I guess you forgot about all those Ex-hippy,military hating,people who did NOT join the military and had their pick of those power jobs while the others were serving their time in hellholes.
when these sailors and soldiers finally return to find a job.... these same people doing the hiring are more than likely to NOT hire them simply because they are Ex-military.
Got anything other than your opinion. Lots of hippies were in the military. How convenient that some choose to forget what they don't want to remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 02:02 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They volunteer for the military.
When have they put their lives on the line for this country? For corporate interests and political gain, but not for this country.
As all military personnel in any country can attest, they joined because of the pride in serving their country, paying an obligation back to a country that is their homeland.

A soldier/sailor/marine/air force person is fighting for his country, not for corporate interests and political gains.....

Your mentality comes from the fact you don't think you owe this country anything, the country owes you. You feel no sense of obligation to a country where your forefathers died to get you to where you are now.

At the grunt/squid/airdale level it is supporting your comrade, supporting your division, supporting your wing...

Politicians decide what the countries priorities are, the military is the instrument to carry out their priorities.

The military follows orders and does not have luxury as some do who sit at home all comfy deciding whether those orders are good or bad....

Civilians for the most part are clueless as to the high level negotiations that take place between governments and invariably only hear about issues by the time the rumors have been leaked many years later by people who may or may not have a personal stake in the issue or an axe to grind.....

Last edited by plwhit; 07-04-2011 at 02:11 AM..

Old 07-04-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
As all military personnel in any country can attest, they joined because of the pride in serving their country, paying an obligation back to a country that is their homeland.

A soldier/sailor/marine/air force person is fighting for his country, not for corporate interests and political gains.....

Your mentality comes from the fact you don't think you owe this country anything, the country owes you. You feel no sense of obligation to a country where your forefathers died to get you to where you are now.

At the grunt/squid/airdale level it is supporting your comrade, supporting your division, supporting your wing...
Your first sentence is garbage and unproveable.
Here you go, I'm a vet and I didn't enlist for blind patriotism. So much for your ALL... And I know lots of people who joined for military benefits and job skills.
Do not tell me what I think or what my mentality is. But, at least I have one.

What are we fighting in the middle east for? OIL? Resources? What does our eternal war have to do with the US?

Old 07-04-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Here you go, I'm a vet and I didn't enlist for blind patriotism. So much for your ALL... And I know lots of people who joined for military benefits and job skills.

What are we fighting in the middle east for? OIL? Resources? What does our eternal war have to do with the US?
And I know many who enlisted as I stated.... I have 45 years of experience in the military arena as well......

Here's some reading for you on people enlisting and why:

http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...s-and-officers

I never said you didn't have a mentality did I? Stop putting words in my mouth....

Why are we fighting in the middle east? There is more at stake in the middle east than OIL and resources.....

But of course since you have been privvy to all the high level discussions between all the countries governments involved you would know better than any ordinary American citizen.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:30 AM

Quote:
And I know many who enlisted as I stated.... I have 45 years of experience in the military arena as well......

I never said you didn't have a mentality did I? Stop putting words in my mouth....

Why are we fighting in the middle east? There is more at stake in the middle east than OIL and resources.....

But of course since you have been privvy to all the high level discussions between all the countries governments involved you would know better than any ordinary American citizen.
Might want to reread your post. You stated what my mentality is.
You also said ALL veterans think this way...
And I have almost 30 in and around the military, big deal. Doesn't make either of us special or all-knowing.
What is it then, you're the one who said it was to support the US. What are we fighting for?

You edited your post no. 122 after I commented on it. What you originally posted is quoted in my post no. 123.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Might want to reread your post. You stated what my mentality is.
Your mentality = where you are coming from, NOT that you didn't have any

Quote:
What is it then, you're the one who said it was to support the US. What are we fighting for?
As I said, since I have not been involved in the high level meetings that were held between these countries I can't say.

I am stuck reading various newspapers from around the globe to try and understand the why's......

What I don't do is regurgitate the well worn mantra it's for oil and resources, that's been put out for the simpletons who can't understand there might be other issues going on behind the scenes that might not be palatable to the folks back home....

Old 07-04-2011, 02:52 AM

This has strayed far far away from the OP....

So to end this, yes former military personnel should get head of the line privilege when it comes to jobs.

Goodnight Chielgirl and have a happy 4th

Old 07-04-2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Your mentality = where you are coming from, NOT that you didn't have any
And you decided what that was, on your own. You don't know what `i believe, so your fabrication is absurd. By saying "your mentality is" you are assigning your bs on others.

As I said, since I have not been involved in the high level meetings that were held between these countries I can't say.
Nice backtracking. You stated, with sarcasm, that I must attend these meetings (and yes, I do attend some meetings that my clearance allows). Yet you made the statement that you do know that it's not about oil.

I am stuck reading various newspapers from around the globe to try and understand the why's......
And no one else does that? And again, I'll ask you, what do you know? You said that you KNOW that it's not just about oil and resources.

What I don't do is regurgitate the well worn mantra it's for oil and resources, that's been put out for the simpletons who can't understand there might be other issues going on behind the scenes that might not be palatable to the folks back home.... Ah yes, whoever doesn't agree with you is a simpleton. What are those other issues that you keep talking about? If the citizenry is not being told the truth (and I assume you know what the truth is) how can they make votin decisions?
Nice backtracking, but you've failed.

Ex-military get enough benefits to meet their needs (except in the mental health area) and should be able to make it on their own.
They're not special because they served in the military.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:49 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:

What are we fighting in the middle east for?
OIL? Resources? What does our eternal war have to do with the US?
Why don't you ask all the politicians, both repubs and dems, who voted for it and continue to supply the funds?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:22 AM

169 posts, read 193,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
How can you call it "discrimination"???In essence a veteran.IE...........experienced GOVERNMENT worker.......should have preference over someone with no experience.That is exactly how it works in the private sector.
Easy. Because vet preference has nothing to do with job-specific qualifications. Just saying a vet is an experienced government worker has nothing to do with being QUALIFIED for a specific vacancy announcement. That would be like saying a veteran with preference points working as a cashier at DeCa is qualified to be a Program Analyst with the USDA, just because they are a veteran and have preference points, has nothing to do with job-specific qualifications.

Preference points currently exist as a blanket preference. Another big problem is that minimum qualifications have been watered down for federal jobs to such a pathetic level, that almost anyone can be considered minimally qualified these days. Once you are found to be minimally qualified for a federal job, then you are in the running for the position. Being minimally qualified means scoring a 70 on a numerical scale from 70-100. Obviously scoring a 70, and matching a few keywords from the vacancy announcement, is not difficult to do.

Under the new Category Ranking system, all a 10-point preference applicant needs to do is score an 80 (on a scale from 70-100) in order to receive consideration over all other applicants, even those non-preference applicants scoring a 100. To get back to your original comment, yes, this is discrimination against highly qualified non-preference applicants, who can't even receive consideration for the job because a lesser-qualified preference applicant was referred over them. Happens all the time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies