Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:45 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

I prefer something that is fiscally conservative (no more foreign aid to Israel or any other countries, reduce welfare and monitor it more carefully, no more wasteful spending) but I want the party to be socially liberal (pro gay marriage, pro choice).

Do you prefer a party that is liberal on spending and socially? Or a party that is more conservative on both ends? Or maybe the opposite? You want liberal spending but conservative socially?

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:52 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
I've been voting Libertarian (and a member of the party) since 2000. I think fiscal conservatism is a core value of the party, but we run the gambit on social issues. Pro-gay marriage? I think we are arguing the wrong question. The right question is: Is it any of the government's business who marries who? To me - the answer is no. Pro-Choice? Let each state decide that one on their own and give people, who insist on one or the other, a choice. Neither view should be shoved down our throats thru federalist decisions as each state may vary on their social values.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM

320 posts, read 290,461 times
There needs to be a moderate or centrist party. The left and right have gotten pretty extreme. And there truly is no party that represents the majority of Americans rather than special interests.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
I prefer a party that stresses nationalism over globalism. We need to take care of what's at home first.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I prefer a party that stresses nationalism over globalism. We need to take care of what's at home first.
Then check out Libertarian Party | Maximum Freedom, Minimum Government We've been right under your nose for well over a decade now.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:36 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Historically, third parties in the US have failed. The "TEA Party" is more of a shift to the extreme right within the GOP that erupted the day Obama was elected.

A third party is not viable and it will achieve nothing.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:39 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Historically, third parties in the US have failed. The "TEA Party" is more of a shift to the extreme right within the GOP that erupted the day Obama was elected.

The tea party has nothing to do with the republican party.

That's the snow job MSNBC and CNN have been shoving down your gullet to alienate you, I see that it worked.

Most nations that have more than two parties are quite viable in their nations. The UK, Germany, Austria, France. All have multiple parties and they work.

I think Americans need to be more open to the other parties because the dems and repubs can't handle the diverse viewpoints in this country.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I prefer something that is fiscally conservative (no more foreign aid to Israel or any other countries, reduce welfare and monitor it more carefully, no more wasteful spending) but I want the party to be socially liberal (pro gay marriage, pro choice).

Where do I sign up?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:42 AM

956 posts, read 1,114,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The tea party has nothing to do with the republican party.

That's the snow job MSNBC and CNN have been shoving down your gullet to alienate people.
But to deny the influence the Tea Party has amongst the Republicans?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

The Tea Party movement began before Obama was elected. It actually started - full force - during the elections when it was evident that both Obama and McCain were for bailing out corporations and banks. It was evident to us Libertarians, Independents, many fiscal conservative Dems & Republicans that this country had NO REAL CHOICE between the two main parties. By the time the organization matured, Obama was elected. Rest assured, that if McCain would have won, we STILL would have happened. However, it has since been hijacked by those wanting to wave more than the Fiscal conservatism that originally inspired the Tea Party. Now, we have the social conservatives that also can't find a home within both the main parties. The movement (it isn't a true political party) will peter out, due to this - but not before we are heard. For fiscal conservatism, there is only one party that will represent you without embracing the social conservatism - and that is the Libertarian party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies