Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 07:24 AM

1,081 posts, read 916,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Absolutely NOT.
They join the military of their own volition.
Many/most times it's because they can't get job skills on the outside.
I'm sick of their entitlement mentality.
After 20 years they get free medical for the rest of their lives; full retirement (at age 38); during they get free educational opportunities; they get free housing and utilities.

Nope, make your own way in the world.
You're a vet, not special.
Just wanted to drop a quick thanks for that monthly check.
And btw, you do make me feel special...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 07:28 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box101 View Post
Easy. Because vet preference has nothing to do with job-specific qualifications. Just saying a vet is an experienced government worker has nothing to do with being QUALIFIED for a specific vacancy announcement. That would be like saying a veteran with preference points working as a cashier at DeCa is qualified to be a Program Analyst with the USDA, just because they are a veteran and have preference points, has nothing to do with job-specific qualifications.

Preference points currently exist as a blanket preference. Another big problem is that minimum qualifications have been watered down for federal jobs to such a pathetic level, that almost anyone can be considered minimally qualified these days. Once you are found to be minimally qualified for a federal job, then you are in the running for the position. Being minimally qualified means scoring a 70 on a numerical scale from 70-100. Obviously scoring a 70, and matching a few keywords from the vacancy announcement, is not difficult to do.

Under the new Category Ranking system, all a 10-point preference applicant needs to do is score an 80 (on a scale from 70-100) in order to receive consideration over all other applicants, even those non-preference applicants scoring a 100. To get back to your original comment, yes, this is discrimination against highly qualified non-preference applicants, who can't even receive consideration for the job because a lesser-qualified preference applicant was referred over them. Happens all the time now.
Good question for July 4th. The Veteran EARNED his Preference points because both you and he/she knew that those points were there before hand. If the Announcement says you need certain education to qualify you can either take them and qualify or not. Likewise, if you know that by being a Veteran you will get either 5 or 10 points that becomes part of the qualifications, it is up to you whether you do something for your country. The 10 points he/she EARNED required he/she become partially disabled.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:38 AM

169 posts, read 193,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Good question for July 4th. The Veteran EARNED his Preference points because both you and he/she knew that those points were there before hand. If the Announcement says you need certain education to qualify you can either take them and qualify or not. Likewise, if you know that by being a Veteran you will get either 5 or 10 points that becomes part of the qualifications, it is up to you whether you do something for your country. The 10 points he/she EARNED required he/she become partially disabled.
But what you are failing to address is how the current Category Ranking system works with vet preference. Because of the large amount of preference applicants applying to federal jobs, often the cutoff score for each individual vacancy announcement (for external announcements) is greater than 100. This means that NO non-preference applicants will be referred to the selecting official, no matter how highly qualified the non-preference applicant is.

This is not to mention that all a 10-point preference applicant needs to do is score an 80 to be referred over all non-preference applicants scoring even a 100. This is a huge difference in terms of qualifications on a numerical scale from 70-100. As you should be able to see, your best (and most qualified) applicant could be a non-preference applicant, but you as a selecting official would never even get to see their resume because the non-preference applicant would never even be referred under this new system.

So that brings us to the question, are we trying to determine the most qualified applicant, or are we just trying to give a preference applicant a job? The latter (and how the system is currently operating), sounds more like a job welfare program to me more than anything else.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:43 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box101 View Post
But what you are failing to address is how the current Category Ranking system works with vet preference. Because of the large amount of preference applicants applying to federal jobs, often the cutoff score for each individual vacancy announcement (for external announcements) is greater than 100. This means that NO non-preference applicants will be referred to the selecting official, no matter how highly qualified the non-preference applicant is.

This is not to mention that all a 10-point preference applicant needs to do is score an 80 to be referred over all non-preference applicants scoring even a 100. This is a huge difference in terms of qualifications on a numerical scale from 70-100. As you should be able to see, your best (and most qualified) applicant could be a non-preference applicant, but you as a selecting official would never even get to see their resume because the non-preference applicant would never even be referred under this new system.

So that brings us to the question, are we trying to determine the most qualified applicant, or are we just trying to give a preference applicant a job? The latter (and how the system is currently operating), sounds more like a job welfare program to me more than anything else.
SO WHAT, you knew that preference was there. You had the option of being a VETERAN. When I was hiring Veteran Prefernce was absolute with the VRA. I could and did, exclude non veterans.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
SO WHAT, you knew that preference was there. You had the option of being a VETERAN. When I was hiring Veteran Prefernce was absolute with the VRA. I could and did, exclude non veterans.
So what, is that you are effectively excluding every highly qualified non-preference applicant applying to external vacancy announcements under the current Category Ranking system. This is a big deal because you most qualified applicant might just be a non-preference applicant, but who can't even receive consideration because of the way preference status is being implemented. You just admitted that you excluded non-veterans from consideration. Why would you practice open discrimination against a select group, when your best applicant could be a non-preference applicant? You just proved my point about how the preference system fosters discrimination against non-preference applicants.

VRA has nothing to do with external, competitive announcements. VRA is a special hiring authority for veterans that exists to allow federal agencies to non-competitively appoint a veteran for a position. This means that the applicant does not have to be on any list of eligible, and therefore does not have to compete against any non-preference applicants. This is even more discrimination against non-preference applicants.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:52 AM

I love these topics. When I joined at 17 after high school, all my extended liberal family giggled back and forth and insisted to each other I was wasting my life.
A couple decades later their new reaction mirrors the whiners on this thread.
As I posted before, if you don't understand it it's more than likely a waste of time trying to explain it.
Happy 4th of July, for those of you that get it.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
I love these topics. When I joined at 17 after high school, all my extended liberal family giggled back and forth and insisted to each other I was wasting my life.
A couple decades later their new reaction mirrors the whiners on this thread.
As I posted before, if you don't understand it it's more than likely a waste of time trying to explain it.
Happy 4th of July, for those of you that get it.
Federal civilian jobs don't have a disclaimer on them that prior military experience is required. However, that is what selection from the pubic vacancy announcements (external federal hiring) is turning in to. The reason being that preference points are establishing exclusionary cutoff scores that prevent ANY non-preference applicants from being referred for consideration. This kind of exclusionary referral system is discrimination, and since the majority of the US population does not have preference points, but yet fund the largest portion of federal jobs, the problems with the federal hiring system proves to be a very legitimate concern for non-preference applicants interested in federal employment.

It is one thing to give vets a small advantage in federal hiring, but it is another to create an exclusionary hiring system where it is all but impossible for non-preference applicants to be hired from the outside. That is what the system has become. Veterans enjoy many benefits aside from preference points. Let's not forget about the GI Bill (which provides vets with a free higher education), the VA home loan program (which provides vets with a zero down home loan for up to $420,000), retirement benefits, health benefits, pretty good pay, and a job (while serving) that serves as a career builder.

With all these benefits that are given to vets for their service, I do not think that being handed a federal job in addition to all of these should be another added bonus. Veterans should use the GI Bill to advance their education, and acquire necessary skills to be competitive for civilian jobs. Also don't forget that preference points were originally created at a time when there was a draft. Civilians drafted into WWII were forced to uproot from their jobs back home, and preference points provided them with an advantage to regain employment when they returned from their compulsory service. There is no draft anymore, and military service is voluntary. People sign up not only to serve their country, but as an option (sometimes the only available option) for employment and a stable career path. This is much different from back when preference points were originally created, and is why the concept of granting vets preference points these days is antiquated.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:04 PM

The GI Bill is not free, veterans pay into that program.
The VA does not give home loans, they merely act as a co-signer for the vet. The biggest advantage for me getting a VA loan was no PMI, similar to putting 20% down.
Not that big of a deal unless you're uninformed.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:39 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
This is absolutely illegal and there is a law in place to remedy that.
That said (and my thread in Military Life was deleted as trolling), even if the person was going to be fired, if they're a reservist and were about to get fired, the employer still can't fire them.

You need to research the law.
you need to see how the world works.........
many times violations like this are VERY hard to prove.......just because there is a law in place does not mean it is enforceable...........

Old 07-05-2011, 10:44 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Got anything other than your opinion. Lots of hippies were in the military. How convenient that some choose to forget what they don't want to remember.
Actually.. you are a good example.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies