Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:59 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,012 times

Advertisements

Why is it ridiculous? There is a reparations bill introduced regularly in Congress by John Conyers: Reparations | John Conyers for Congress

"...Like the King Holiday bill, Mr. Conyers has seen the support for H.R. 40 increase each year. There are currently 37 co-sponsors. Support also extends outside of the Congress as various city councils and other local jurisdictions have supported his bill. The city councils in Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Dallas, Washington, DC, and Atlanta have passed bills supporting H.R. 40"

A gallup poll found 55% of African Americans support reparations.

The only reason you are pretending it is a nonissue is because you don't want to defend it in a debate with nonsupporters. The arguments for reparations are weak and perpetuate several unflattering stereotypes.
If you don't support reparations that's great, but why not be honest about this movement and the level of support which is definitely out there in plain sight for all to see. Don't join the city data race card players liar's club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Since you are new poster, a bit of advice. The way to reduce the number of ridiculous threads is to ignore them...
Ignore them? If someone is gonna make a full throat attack on my community I believe that I am within all my rights to respond. I found the other thread to be objectionable and I did not want to participate in the poster's obvious race baiting so the only option I see fit was to start my own thread critiquing the issue.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
I'm all in favor of every ex-slave being awarded 40 acres and a mule if they so desire it.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Why is it ridiculous? There is a reparations bill introduced regularly in Congress by John Conyers: Reparations | John Conyers for Congress

"...Like the King Holiday bill, Mr. Conyers has seen the support for H.R. 40 increase each year. There are currently 37 co-sponsors. Support also extends outside of the Congress as various city councils and other local jurisdictions have supported his bill. The city councils in Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Dallas, Washington, DC, and Atlanta have passed bills supporting H.R. 40"

A gallup poll found 55% of African Americans support reparations.

The only reason you are pretending it is a nonissue is because you don't want to defend it in a debate with nonsupporters. The arguments for reparations are weak and perpetuate several unflattering stereotypes.
If you don't support reparations that's great, but why not be honest about this movement and the level of support which is definitely out there in plain sight for all to see. Don't join the city data race card players liar's club
There is also sizable support in the white community of people who believe the United States Government should adopt an official policy of white supremacy to preserve the white majority in America. Do you see anybody bringing that up like the way you guys are bringing up the topic reparations?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:19 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
It's seems like a common obsession of white racists is the idea they have in their heads that all black people in America wake up everyday dreaming of their "reparations check" arriving in the mail. Well sorry to clip your wings supremacists, it doesn't work that way. Most people in the black community have bigger fish to fry than waste their time fantasizing about something they know they will never get. We have jobs to attend to, families to take care of, households to maintain just like you do. Like everyone else, we are struggling to keep our footing in this tough economy.

The idea of reparations is a joke in the black community... I don't know anybody holding their breath for that. Heck if you go on the street and ask the average black youth if they believe that whites should pay reparations to blacks they'll have no idea what you are talking about. It seems to be an obsession of racist whites suffering from the guilt of slavery more than anything else. How can you say that blacks won't get over slavery when you constantly bring this non-issue up?
I've never run into a white person who believes that all black folks want reparations. And as a white guy, I have known a lot of white folks. My sister is white, for instance. I have a white cousin too. I had a white friend, that is, until he wanted to borrow money.

I suppose there are white people who think that all blacks want reparations. But they are the vast minority. Maybe you are under the impression that when someone says "All blacks want reparations," that is to be taken literally. I myself have said "Everyone likes ice cream", knowing full well that in reality not everyone likes ice cream.

Now if the subject is, Do most blacks want reparations?, then you're on to something. I mean, white folks might believe that. Personally, I want reparations, and I'm not black. But if someone wants to give me money for some reason, I'll take it. After all, I've played the lottery off and on for years and haven't won hardly a dime. I ought to be able to be given something. Right?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I've never run into a white person who believes that all black folks want reparations. And as a white guy, I have known a lot of white folks. My sister is white, for instance. I have a white cousin too. I had a white friend, that is, until he wanted to borrow money.

I suppose there are white people who think that all blacks want reparations. But they are the vast minority. Maybe you are under the impression that when someone says "All blacks want reparations," that is to be taken literally. I myself have said "Everyone likes ice cream", knowing full well that in reality not everyone likes ice cream.

Now if the subject is, Do most blacks want reparations?, then you're on to something. I mean, white folks might believe that. Personally, I want reparations, and I'm not black. But if someone wants to give me money for some reason, I'll take it. After all, I've played the lottery off and on for years and haven't won hardly a dime. I ought to be able to be given something. Right?
Trust me, there are hardcore racists out there who walks around with this in their heads all day. It sounds like you are a better person than that.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Ignore them? If someone is gonna make a full throat attack on my community I believe that I am within all my rights to respond. I found the other thread to be objectionable and I did not want to participate in the poster's obvious race baiting so the only option I see fit was to start my own thread critiquing the issue.

Yes ignore them. Your thread makes no more sense than theirs. I pass crazy people on the street babbling all sorts of nonsense, I do not feel the need to engage them.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yes ignore them. Your thread makes no more sense than theirs. I pass crazy people on the street babbling all sorts of nonsense, I do not feel the need to engage them.
Excellent analogy about the crazy people . The fact that you are engaging me in this conversation mutes your entire point though. You could have well ignored my thread as I could have the other thread. See what I mean? It's easy to say but hard to practice in reality.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Excellent analogy about the crazy people . The fact that you are engaging me in this conversation mutes your entire point though. You could have well ignored my thread as I could have the other thread. See what I mean? It's easy to say but hard to practice in reality.

I was at first unsure if you were crazy, but since you have confirmed it, you are correct. I shall no longer engage you. I will follow your posts and watch what you write, like the train wreck it is!

Cheers!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Default Why do White People think Black People want Reparations?

I'm a white person with Mormon ancestors and I demand reparations.

My great, great grandpappy just wanted to follow Jesus and boink multiple teenage girls in peace, but those damnable Missourians drove him out of his farm and out to a place where everyone wears a tie, the water is all salty and you can't even buy a decent drink on Sunday. Where's the justice in that?!

Of course, my other ancestors were some of the Missourians that did the driving out, so does that mean that I have to pay myself reparations? Hmmmm...

Last edited by Chango; 06-23-2011 at 09:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies