Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
360,222 Union soldiers died during the civil war to put an end to slavery.

Isn't close to half a million human souls reparations enough?
Wrong thread.

The topic of discussion here is not about what type of reparations is necessary or not. This thread was started as a rebuttal to the idea that black people on a whole want reparations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:07 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
OK so what you are trying to say is that white people who bring up the topic of reparations constantly and express their vehement opposition to it are simply trying to convey the fact that they are "sensitive" to the tiny number of black people who believe in reparations. Now how convenient.

If I was born yesterday, I probably would consider buying your distorted logic.
You have to be kidding me, right? Who's opposing reparations? I'm not. I thought you were...wtf??

Why do you think you get to decide how ALL African Americans feel about reparations? And equating those who believe in reparations with racists is well, racist. The debate over reparations is hardly equivalent to the debate of whether one should hate others of another race or not. You seem to be trying very hard to make it so. It's not a hate crime to believe in reparations.

As for whites who oppose reparations using it as some racist way to taunt African Americans, you may have a point. But they do that with taxes and liberals too. You just have to put them in their place and stand up for what's right. An injustice was done and there's no shame in righting it. If you feel okay with what you have, fine. But don't begrudge others the resources they have been denied because it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 06-24-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
The other guy didn't say blacks wanted it, he just asked if they deserved it. Most black people don't CARE about it, but that doesn't mean they don't WANT it...
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the motive behind a thread that would ask: "Do you support reparations for black people?" Especially given the context within with it was asked and the type of audience the poster was targeting.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
It's seems like a common obsession of white racists is the idea they have in their heads that all black people in America wake up everyday dreaming of their "reparations check" arriving in the mail. Well sorry to clip your wings supremacists, it doesn't work that way. Most people in the black community have bigger fish to fry than waste their time fantasizing about something they know they will never get. We have jobs to attend to, families to take care of, households to maintain just like you do. Like everyone else, we are struggling to keep our footing in this tough economy.

The idea of reparations is a joke in the black community... I don't know anybody holding their breath for that. Heck if you go on the street and ask the average black youth if they believe that whites should pay reparations to blacks they'll have no idea what you are talking about. It seems to be an obsession of racist whites suffering from the guilt of slavery more than anything else. How can you say that blacks won't get over slavery when you constantly bring this non-issue up?

These are some wacky theories.... you think some white guy came up with the idea of reperations so they could then use this as a new way to attack blacks?

really?

I honestly dont think about why blacks "want" reperations. What I can tell you as a white person is that I never owned a slave ergo I should not have to pay for slavery.

really bro, I have enough issues dealing with what is in my own head. I dont need to try to get into someone elses brain.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Race will always be a divisive issue in American society. Many people on the right have built their careers by capitalizing on this issue. The overt racism of the pre-civil rights era have been replaced by a covert, coded type of racism that is commonplace in right wing Republican rhetoric and ideology.
That is because folks keep bringing it up for no reason as you have here. Anybody who didn't vote for Obama is a racist now. Anybody who questions Obama is a racist now. Well in the eyes of those who can't defend his policies. That is why it remains divisive. It's a political tool used by the left and has been for years.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That is because folks keep bringing it up for no reason as you have here. Anybody who didn't vote for Obama is a racist now. Anybody who questions Obama is a racist now. Well in the eyes of those who can't defend his policies. That is why it remains divisive. It's a political tool used by the left and has been for years.
This has been an issue long, long before Obama took office. Ever heard of the "southern strategy". While some people do overreact to any criticism of Obama it is a fact that there are people out there who will never accept him as President due to his skin color. Even when Obama killed Osama Bin Laden, these people were against him.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:02 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I think what hurts blacks is affirmative action and their so called 'black leaders"....never understood that...are 'black leaders elected?"...Sharpton, Jackson etc...also why do blacks hate black conservatives like Thomas Sowell?...seems amazing that blacks would hate a guy that is black, PHD from Harvard, published dozens of books and is very interesting to listen too.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:13 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
This has been an issue long, long before Obama took office. Ever heard of the "southern strategy". While some people do overreact to any criticism of Obama it is a fact that there are people out there who will never accept him as President due to his skin color. Even when Obama killed Osama Bin Laden, these people were against him.
Obama killed bin laden? I am still awaiting any evidence of that.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:18 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I think what hurts blacks is affirmative action and their so called 'black leaders"....never understood that...are 'black leaders elected?"...Sharpton, Jackson etc...also why do blacks hate black conservatives like Thomas Sowell?...seems amazing that blacks would hate a guy that is black, PHD from Harvard, published dozens of books and is very interesting to listen too.
Again, there is no black leaders... why can't you understand that? The only ones that consider those people to be black leaders are themselves and white people.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:12 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
I think black people do not want reparations. But there is the infrequent black person who loudly and bitterly complains about how if they were white they would have gotten into university etc. and I'm not sure if they are for real or not. But for sure those guys don't want reparations because if they did get it, they would have no more right to complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies