Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post

Mustang - Corvette - Modern day muscle car - What you are trying to tell people is that you are manly or a bad ass woman. What people actually receive is that you are probably compensating for having a small wanker or the fact that you are 5'2.

Thoughts.
I am a 5'6" woman...and I'm not supposed to have a wanker (and do not want one, thanks). And yet I have had muscle cars my whole life (including my current '11 Corvette Grand Sport convertible - which I mostly got cuz there's nothing else out there really good right now and it was the fastest production convertible under $150k). Before that, I had an XLR-V, which they sadly do not make any longer. I have a long commute to work on a lot of long, flat highways, and I want to have a good time doing it. I love convertibles bc of the look and bc I love being outside.

I have an Explorer which is great for carting my family around or for my two big dogs or the road trips we take. The car is 9 years old, has 60k miles on it, and I love it. Especially when I have to help someone move or buy a ladder at the Home Depot.

My wife drives a '10 Caddy SRX. We got it because she loved it. She test drove a lot of cars before we picked that one.

Every car we own is for us and us alone. I could give a crap what anyone else thinks about my cars or my reasons for having my cars. I have loved cars since practically the day I could talk...cars and dogs...dogs and cars...and I have never stopped. I think reading into why someone has a certain car is kind of childish and lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'd be interested in your analysis of the SmartForTwo car. My friend drives one.
I would be glad to join your carpool, but I can't offer my vehicle to contribute my fair share.

My life is not worth much, but please don't run into me.

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

Can any1 explain the attraction to this? including the color ?
Ask SunshineChick, she uses hers to scout out welfare lines!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:22 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
I chose the car I drive because the insurance for totalling the previous car more than covered the cost of the new one. It had tires in much better condition, and since it was 2 years newer and the same make and model model and in the same style series, I could use the same roof mounted bike rack. How great is that! However, the new one lacked electric seat warmers, which I didn't notice until our short winter was upon us. I had to use the manual seat warmers. It wasn't a great loss since this is Dallas.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:23 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
I drive big vehicles to **** off the left. I've got four and can afford gas at whatever price it gets to.

Stupidest topic of the day (so far).
^ stupidest post of the day....

Old 06-24-2011, 12:23 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnttokr1 View Post
How can you possibly determine someone's political affiliation based on the car they drive? Maybe you need a job at the state fair guessing people's age/weight/birthday

My previous vehicles:

Age 16 - 1986 Toyota Minivan
Age 18 - 1991 Dodge Shadow
Age 19 - 1991 Ford Explorer w/32" mud terrian tires and a 3" lift
Age 25 - 2000 Honda Accord
Age 30 (Current) - 2008 Honda Accord

I wonder what my vehicle(s) say about me?
Nobody said that you could. However, some vehicles are driven by people on the left than on the right. I can't think of any cars primarily driven by Conservatives, but I can think of a couple driven primarily by Liberals. The few Conservatives that drive them just did not get the memo.

As for you, I have already stated a stereotype for the accord. Has nothing to do with political affiliation. The cars that you drive before 18 have more to do with what is available. Can't draw any conclusions from those.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:24 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am a 5'6" woman...and I'm not supposed to have a wanker. And yet I have had muscle cars my whole life (including my current '11 Corvette Grand Sport convertible - which I mostly got cuz there's nothing else out there really good right now and it was the fastest production convertible under $150k). Before that, I had an XLR-V, which they sadly do not make any longer. I have a long commute to work on a lot of long, flat highways, and I want to have a good time doing it. I love convertibles bc of the look and bc I love being outside.

I have an Explorer which is great for carting my family around or for my two big dogs or the road trips we take. The car is 9 years old, has 60k miles on it, and I love it. Especially when I have to help someone move or buy a ladder at the Home Depot.

My wife drives a '10 Caddy SRX. We got it because she loved it. She test drove a lot of cars before we picked that one.

Every car we own is for us and us alone. I could give a crap what anyone else thinks about my cars or my reasons for having my cars. I have loved cars since practically the day I could talk...cars and dogs...dogs and cars...and I have never stopped. I think reading into why someone has a certain car is kind of childish and lame.
I don't understand the need for the "fastest car available" in the US since the spead limit is 55 mph in the majority of the states.

Acceleration is important, but top end speed is a waste of money.

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I drive a Civic but I'm in total agreement with the people who say having a truck is great for the homeowner. My dad lives close and always drove a Tacoma that I borrowed regularly for dump runs and hauling. He traded it for a Forrester last year (for his comfort) and I miss the truck desperately. I don't need two vehicles though and my Civic is better for me 90% of the time.

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
I bought my car in August 2009 during the Cash for Clunkers program. At that time, I made the purchase based on economic practicality, gas efficiency, and as a message to American automakers to shape up.

If I had to make the same purchase today, I would buy either a Chevrolet Equinox or a Cruze.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
I drive a car that says.....

"*IF* I wanted to, I could hit this accelerator and leave you wondering what the heck just happened...but, since I am a law-abiding citizen I drive the speed limit and if you don't like it, you can kiss my patoot"

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies