Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times

Advertisements

Climate sceptic Willie Soon received $1m from oil companies, papers show
Documents obtained by Greenpeace show prominent opponent of climate change was funded by ExxonMobil, among others

One of the world's most prominent scientific figures to be sceptical about climate change has admitted to being paid more than $1m in the past decade by major US oil and coal companies.

Dr Willie Soon, an astrophysicist at the Solar, Stellar and Planetary Sciences Division of the Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics, is known for his view that global warming and the melting of the arctic sea ice is caused by solar variation rather than human-caused CO2 emissions, and that polar bears are not primarily threatened by climate change.

But according to a Greenpeace US investigation, he has been heavily funded by coal and oil industry interests since 2001, receiving money from ExxonMobil, the American Petroleum Insitute and Koch Industries along with Southern, one of the world's largest coal-burning utility companies. Since 2002, it is alleged, every new grant he has received has been from either oil or coal interests.

In addition, freedom of information documents suggest that Soon corresponded in 2003 with other prominent climate sceptics to try to weaken a major assessment of global warming being conducted by the UN's leading climate science body, the Nobel prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Read more: Climate sceptic Willie Soon received $1m from oil companies, papers show | Environment | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
I'll see your corporate shill and raise you an academic shunned by his peers and government grants cut off for daring to question the Goreacle, now having to use $100,000 of his own personal funds to fund his research.

SurferMag Message Boards: Dr. Gray: Gore, global warming "foolish"

Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
But but but, what about all those cute little commercials about the Human Element by Exxon and other oil companies to fund green energy research?? I'm so confused!

Old 06-28-2011, 05:54 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Any of the so called "skeptics" are really nothing more than academic prostitutes

Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Any of the so called "skeptics" are really nothing more than academic prostitutes

I know. He's not even a climatologist. They know better.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
That's nothing, the EPA has been handing out grant money like candy on Halloween to buy consensus for their agenda.
Quote:
The Environmental Protection Agency has doled out nearly $100 million in grants to foreign groups and governments over the past decade, according to a new congressional report.
Read more: EPA Spent $100M on Foreign Grants in Last Decade, Study Finds - FoxNews.com

Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But but but, what about all those cute little commercials about the Human Element by Exxon and other oil companies to fund green energy research?? I'm so confused!
I'll end the confusion. ExxonMobil LOVES the EPA. The EPA works with ExxonMobil to keep new players from entering the market and EM considers the regulations a small price to pay to maintain an oligopoly. Meanwhile, they can pretend to be mortal enemies in front of the public so the EPA can look like the good guys, get more government money, and keep that perpetual "carrot on a stick" for neo-progressives and crunchy granola hippies alike.

ExxonMobil grows. The EPA grows. Win-win for everyone but the American people.

Last edited by summers73; 06-28-2011 at 07:18 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Exxon gets oil. I like oil. I'm using oil right now. So are you. Thank you Exxon.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I'll see your corporate shill and raise you an academic shunned by his peers and government grants cut off for daring to question the Goreacle, now having to use $100,000 of his own personal funds to fund his research.

SurferMag Message Boards: Dr. Gray: Gore, global warming "foolish"
I know Dr. Gray personally and have seen his work up close. The quality of his work has so diminished in the last decade and his personal attacks on scientists has become so vehemently strong that I am really saddened by it. It's one thing to be a "skeptic" of climate change but quite the other to go to professional conferences and outwardly charge anyone who gets up to give a talk as having purposely manipulated their data. Very sad.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I know Dr. Gray personally and have seen his work up close. The quality of his work has so diminished in the last decade and his personal attacks on scientists has become so vehemently strong that I am really saddened by it. It's one thing to be a "skeptic" of climate change but quite the other to go to professional conferences and outwardly charge anyone who gets up to give a talk as having purposely manipulated their data. Very sad.
You can claim to know him all you want on an anonymous internet board, don't expect people to believe you. It's logical to conclude you said you know him to make your very serious accusation of his work "diminishing" sound more credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies