Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:29 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,944,276 times

Advertisements

By the way, roysoldboy, I work in the field of higher education and am quite confident in my knowledge of colleges. The only university in the Midwest that is at all comparable to Harvard or Columbia is the University of Chicago, and on the West Coast only Berkeley, Stanford, and Cal Tech come close. None of those schools have a lower acceptance rate than Harvard, and only Stanford has a lower rate than Columbia. People desperately fight for acceptance into all of the Ivy League universities (I did myself), so I don't know where you are receiving your information from. Harvard Law has produced more Supreme Court Justices than any other institution, and Law is a field enamored with prestige. Just for completeness, I'll leave these law school rankings here for your perusal:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...s/law-rankings

Last edited by dunks_galore; 07-05-2011 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 AM

38,465 posts, read 22,386,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I don't know if its just extreme right wing propaganda. Just trying "nitpick" with out knowing all facts..

People complain that the president uses a teleprompter.. Even though he is not the first to use one, Many presidents have used Aides while making big speeches.

The purpose of a teleprompter

Ronald Reagan often used a dual screen teleprompter.
George Bush
Used a teleprompter and made the switch to large index cards.
The point is Presidents and many elected officials have used teleprompters for about a half century.
Some believe Bush used a teleprompter to declare war on Iraq.
(I'm personally not sure about that. But would not be surprised^)

Some presidents used a teleprompter at the state of the Union.

I would rather a president that at least makes eye contact(or appears to) then someone who looks down and flips pages. Or even one who rights notes on their hands....
Or someone who looks at the wrong camera while making a speech for a good 10 minutes, and then bitching about someone else usage of a teleprompter.

Either way its a presidents words/thoughts, (through a speech writer if a president has one) that appear.
And Yes many presidents have had speech writers..

I just don't get all the bitching and whining about Obama using a teleprompter. I do not remember all the complaining with any other president on this subject.
I know he uses it a lot but, as long as the message is getting out, it should not matter.

I'm not a Obama fan, didn't vote in 2008, I probably will not vote for him in 2012 and just looking at his possible opponents I probably will not vote at all.

I don't know if some extreme right wingers don't know the history of the presidential teleprompter usage.
Or if they are just trying to find SOMETHING, to whine about.
Like everything else about this man, he doubles down on the worst of the worst.
Obama’s teleprompter hits the trail – CNN

Sure, other public speaker use teleprompters, but this guy was the first to use it as an indispensable crutch. We have many examples of 0bama w/o his crutch, and he stumble-mumbles his way into idiocy, which is why he made the embarrassing decision to take it with him on the campaign trial, because the alternative is........

YouTube - ‪Obama - Breathalyzer‬‏

And then, later on in the same event he stumble-mumbles some more....
YouTube - ‪breathalizer obama‬‏

no wonder he chose to rely on his teleprompter as a crutch, he is like Barbara Streisand, she does not write her songs either, and is lost w/o her teleprompter.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 AM

38,465 posts, read 22,386,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
By the way, roysoldboy, I work in the field of higher education and am quite confident in my knowledge of colleges. The only university in the Midwest that is at all comparable to Harvard or Columbia is the University of Chicago, and on the West Coast only Berkeley, Stanford, and Cal Tech come close. None of those schools have a lower acceptance rate than Harvard, and only Stanford has a lower rate than Columbia. People desperately fight for acceptance into all of the Ivy League universities (I did myself), so I don't know where you are receiving your information from. Harvard Law has produced more Supreme Court Justices than any other institution, and Law is a field enamored with prestige. Just for completeness, I'll leave these law school rankings here for your perusal:

Top 2011 Law School Rankings

Best Law School Rankings | Law Program Rankings | US News
Just because you get excepted by a prestigious Ivy league university, does not necessarily mean you got there on pure educational and intellectual merits, nor does it mean you are a stellar performer when you graduate, otherwise the left would not refer to Bush as an idiot.

What did 0bama do with his education? He did not join a law firm and practice law, he played a bit as a senior lecturer for a while, then became an Al Sharpton type community organizer, until he ran for the senate a few times, unopposed, followed up that by reading numerous inspiring teleprompter speeches until he was elected president.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,633,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I don't know if its just extreme right wing propaganda. Just trying "nitpick" with out knowing all facts..

People complain that the president uses a teleprompter.. Even though he is not the first to use one, Many presidents have used Aides while making big speeches.

The purpose of a teleprompter

Ronald Reagan often used a dual screen teleprompter.
George Bush
Used a teleprompter and made the switch to large index cards.
The point is Presidents and many elected officials have used teleprompters for about a half century.
Some believe Bush used a teleprompter to declare war on Iraq.
(I'm personally not sure about that. But would not be surprised^)

Some presidents used a teleprompter at the state of the Union.

I would rather a president that at least makes eye contact(or appears to) then someone who looks down and flips pages. Or even one who rights notes on their hands....
Or someone who looks at the wrong camera while making a speech for a good 10 minutes, and then bitching about someone else usage of a teleprompter.

Either way its a presidents words/thoughts, (through a speech writer if a president has one) that appear.
And Yes many presidents have had speech writers..

I just don't get all the bitching and whining about Obama using a teleprompter. I do not remember all the complaining with any other president on this subject.
I know he uses it a lot but, as long as the message is getting out, it should not matter.

I'm not a Obama fan, didn't vote in 2008, I probably will not vote for him in 2012 and just looking at his possible opponents I probably will not vote at all.

I don't know if some extreme right wingers don't know the history of the presidential teleprompter usage.
Or if they are just trying to find SOMETHING, to whine about.
I'd guess it's because he got elected simply because he could speak well and he looked pretty (and his name wasn't "Bush") He didn't get elected because of the issues--he got elected because he sounded smart when he read the teleprompter. Take away the teleprompter and he has looked like an idiot at times.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 AM

1,019 posts, read 592,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
When did anyone bring up ebonics? You can't even spell the word buffoon and you're calling someone who was the president of the Harvard Law Review a dunce.
I brought it up. That's what Kennedy referred to when he said he was "articulate", i.e. he didn't speak ebonics.

Obama is a Dunce, pure and simple. If you can't see the tokenism on parade for all the world to see (and the evil part to take advantage of), you are worse off than even I think you are.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Just because you get excepted by a prestigious Ivy league university, does not necessarily mean you got there on pure educational and intellectual merits, nor does it mean you are a stellar performer when you graduate, otherwise the left would not refer to Bush as an idiot.

What did 0bama do with his education? He did not join a law firm and practice law, he played a bit as a senior lecturer for a while, then became an Al Sharpton type community organizer, until he ran for the senate a few times, unopposed, followed up that by reading numerous inspiring teleprompter speeches until he was elected president.
My response was to roysoldboy. Honestly, I don't think Bush is an idiot either, just an incredibly poor, weak president. Also, MCL and president of the Law Review means you were a stellar performer. I have no interest in defending Obama as a president, but the man is not intellectually bereft.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:00 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,859,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Does Obama have a degree from Harvard? Since nobody can see it or a copy of it I have to wonder. Speaking of that kind of thing I haven't ever seen a copy of his degree from Columbia. Is there one?
From a Harvard Web Site:

Obama joins list of seven presidents with Harvard degrees | Harvard Gazette

Barack Obama, 1961-
President-elect
J.D. mcl ’91

mcl = Magna *** Laude awarded to top 10% of graduates.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 AM

1,019 posts, read 592,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
He's lost without it.

You mean correct pronunciation as in "Marine Corps(e)man"?

Many people can't pronounce nuclear properly; I've heard it often from other politicians and reporters alike. However, I have NEVER heard any intelligent person pronounce "Corps" the way he does. And he's the Commander in Chief.
Amazing.
Several past presidents have mispronounced the word. I heard a list of them, and I think Truman and Johnson were among them.

It used to drive me crazy as well, but not as bad as the Dunce's whisling S's.

Not to worry, though, in 2013 we can put the Dunce cap away and get America back on track.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,737,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
The ones who claim they're smart usually aren't as you so clearly demonstrate. What you are is deluded.
The sign of a weak mind is one that can only make personal attacks and not formulate a coherent rebuttal. You seem incapable of separating intelligence from belief. People can be very intelligent, as Obama is, and still disagree with you about policy solutions. That does not make in aindividual stupid. And, by all objective measurements at our disposal, I do qualify as quite intelligent. If you have statistical evidence to support your claim that smart people do not know they're smart, I would be happy to review the research.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
I brought it up. That's what Kennedy referred to when he said he was "articulate", i.e. he didn't speak ebonics.

Obama is a Dunce, pure and simple. If you can't see the tokenism on parade for all the world to see (and the evil part to take advantage of), you are worse off than even I think you are.
You can't even participate in a conversation without dragging in ebonics and tokenism, none of which are relevant to the conversation. You dislike Obama and his policies, and thus must assume he is an idiot. I dislike Obama and his policies, but I think that he is simply another in a long line of pandering, corporatist presidents. That doesn't presume he is a fool, because frankly, I think it's incredibly difficult for someone who is an idiot to do what he has done. The idea that Obama is less intelligent than the average citizen is hilariously preposterous to me. You are ideologically blinded, in my opinion, and nothing I can say will sway your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies