Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

In a temple in Thiruvananthapuram in South India they have accidentally found a giant treasure (gold, silver, jewels etc.) worth at least 20 billion dollars.

The problem is that despite India's lingering poverty, radical Hindus have threatened to commit mass suicide if a single coin is removed from the temple. After all the treasure has been compiled by believers making sacrifices to gods they say.

So, there is a fierce debate going on now between more secular intellectuals who want to give the treasure back to the people by investing the money in schools, infrastructure etc., and more radical Hindus who don't want that treasure to be touched. One of the arguments I read about was that that stuff was sacrificed by Hindus to Hindu gods, so it would be inappropriate to invest it in something that Christians and Muslims also benefit from

What if a treasure like that were found in the basement of a very conservative Church in the West, would it be sold and used to finance secular things?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
20 billion in treasure? that could feed and educate a lot of people. will they touch it? probably not.

They also have starvation in that country and sacred cows walking the street without a care in the world.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Yes, they keep correcting the value upwards almost daily.

$22 billion in gold, diamonds, jewels found in Indian temple's secret vaults - CSMonitor.com

Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
The problem is that despite India's lingering poverty, radical Hindus have threatened to commit mass suicide if a single coin is removed from the temple.
So there is a chance to get rid of the radical Hindus AND help the poor? Let's do it!!!!!!!!

Seriously though....who does it belong to? I would suggest it's up to them what they want to do with it.

As for the question if it happened to a conservative church in America? It depends on the church. There are plenty of shysters that are getting rich off the sheep...but there are an awful lot of churches that give a lot of money to help the poor. I'm currently interviewing for a position as a pastor at a small church that gives more to missions every year than what they'll be paying me. That ought to tell you something about what their emphasis is.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
So there is a chance to get rid of the radical Hindus AND help the poor? Let's do it!!!!!!!!

Seriously though....who does it belong to? I would suggest it's up to them what they want to do with it.

As for the question if it happened to a conservative church in America? It depends on the church. There are plenty of shysters that are getting rich off the sheep...but there are an awful lot of churches that give a lot of money to help the poor. I'm currently interviewing for a position as a pastor at a small church that gives more to missions every year than what they'll be paying me. That ought to tell you something about what their emphasis is.

Hehe

That's the point, who exactly are THEY?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In a temple in Thiruvananthapuram in South India they have accidentally found a giant treasure (gold, silver, jewels etc.) worth at least 20 billion dollars.

The problem is that despite India's lingering poverty, radical Hindus have threatened to commit mass suicide if a single coin is removed from the temple. After all the treasure has been compiled by believers making sacrifices to gods they say.

So, there is a fierce debate going on now between more secular intellectuals who want to give the treasure back to the people by investing the money in schools, infrastructure etc., and more radical Hindus who don't want that treasure to be touched. One of the arguments I read about was that that stuff was sacrificed by Hindus to Hindu gods, so it would be inappropriate to invest it in something that Christians and Muslims also benefit from

What if a treasure like that were found in the basement of a very conservative Church in the West, would it be sold and used to finance secular things?
There is no debate, just a lot of envious wishful thinkers. The article made it perfectly clear that the temple will keep its treasure.

Quote:
The state government insists it will let the temple keep the riches, and will even provide permanent security to safeguard it.

The wealth of the temple will rest with the temple itself,” wrote Kerala Chief Minister Oomen Chandy on his website.
It is the typical liberal mindset to steal and spend other people's money, so I am not the least bit surprised by those who want to steal the temple's treasure for their own personal agenda.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
We can trust government to see that that money is spent wisely.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
lol.....that one made diet pepsi come out my nose.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:55 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

rofl.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:55 AM

It is not about stealing. After all all that stuff has come from the people over the centuries. Maybe it is time to do something meaningful with it instead of leaving it there in the vaults. Those Hindus don't even want the treasure to be displayed like in a museum.

Actually, as long as hundreds of millions of Indians are still starving and living in extreme poverty, I consider it a kind of theft to not redistribute that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies