Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,346,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
No. History is HISTORY, there's no white history or black or gay history.

It's HISTORY. Period.
This is what Columbus wrote about his journey to "The New Land"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Columbus
They all go completely naked, even the women, though I saw but one girl. All whom I saw were young, not above thirty years of age, well made, with fine shapes and faces; their hair short, and coarse like that of a horse's tail, combed toward the forehead, except a small portion which they suffer to hang down behind, and never cut. Some paint themselves with black, which makes them appear like those of the Canaries, neither black nor white; others with white, others with red, and others with such colors as they can find. Some paint the face, and some the whole body; others only the eyes, and others the nose. Weapons they have none, nor are acquainted with them, for I showed them swords which they grasped by the blades, and cut themselves through ignorance. They have no iron, their javelins being without it, and nothing more than sticks, though some have fish-bones or other things at the ends. They are all of a good size and stature, and handsomely formed. I saw some with scars of wounds upon their bodies, and demanded by signs the of them; they answered me in the same way, that there came people from the other islands in the neighborhood who endeavored to make prisoners of them, and they defended themselves. I thought then, and still believe, that these were from the continent. It appears to me, that the people are ingenious, and would be good servants and I am of opinion that they would very readily become Christians, as they appear to have no religion. They very quickly learn such words as are spoken to them. If it please our Lord, I intend at my return to carry home six of them to your Highnesses, that they may learn our language. I saw no beasts in the island, nor any sort of animals except parrots.
*Medieval Sourcebook: Christopher Columbus: Extracts from Journal

Do you think it is possible that there might be another side to the story?

Old 07-06-2011, 12:46 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,009,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Yeah fighting for the rights for people to be treated equally makes us the most racist, sexist and bigoted group of people....

Makes perfect sense!
Can you explain to me exactly how teaching school children about a certain minorities contributions makes it about "being treated equally?" If they weren't taught that, would they be treated NOT equally?

Fighting for the rights. That's pretty funny. More like fighting to keep them beholden to your party, so you can continue to get elected, all the while keeping those minorities slaves of the govt.

Because Dems all voted for equal rights for blacks. Oh wait, no they didn't.....

Old 07-06-2011, 12:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,335,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Ya, I agree with the elimination of these special labels. And IMO if anything is going to add to the burden of the public schools it shouldn't be considered anyway. I mean, do we need new text books now? More money spent? Special programs or teacher education? I don't know, but I can't imagine any bill passing that isn't going to add to the financial problems if the word "require" is in it.
As a taxpayer in the state that is about to require history textbooks to talk about the sexual bent of people you will see your taxes raise to print all those books, and it is obvious that you don't see a need for this kind of thing. I have to wonder if many of the gays in the California legislature have given any thought to the cost for that printing of those books.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,483,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
"White" history month is every month.
Are you saying that minorities have been equally represented throughout history?
Someone doesn't need to be taught that humans come in different tones of skin because most people are exposed to seeing different ethnicities on television from birth.

Teaching about an individuals historical contribution on behalf of their sexual orientation is only done to facilitate acceptance of homosexuality in society and is Social Engineering as one poster has already said.

The state legislature has said the reason why they want to include gays in textbooks will be to prevent children from bullying gays.

It didn't stop "blacks" from being bullied to include "black" contributions to history in school textbooks.

It's social engineering, brainwashing. Period.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,009,789 times
Quote:
Are you saying that minorities have been equally represented throughout history?
Only when you look at life through those "always-about-race" glasses.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM

396 posts, read 907,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
As a taxpayer in the state that is about to require history textbooks to talk about the sexual bent of people you will see your taxes raise to print all those books, and it is obvious that you don't see a need for this kind of thing. I have to wonder if many of the gays in the California legislature have given any thought to the cost for that printing of those books.
You're right! We should continue to use textbooks from the 1950s to save money. Education be damned!

Old 07-06-2011, 12:51 PM

898 posts, read 829,344 times
I'm very glad I no longer live in California and my kids go to a school where crap like this isn't even on the radar of our state politicians. It's no wonder California is known as the land of fruits and nuts.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:52 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,507,496 times
Quote:
No. History is HISTORY, there's no white history or black or gay history.

It's HISTORY. Period.

Are blacks less bullied because they teach black history in schools?

No.

It won't have any significance on the Gay history either.

Why not teach anthropology in school, that would have far more significance than teaching Hyphenated History classes.
Oh really? What about the contributions of Americans of European descent in our nation?

In History classes all they talk about is how European settlers came and made this country what it is today, and with the contributions of European immigrants in the 18th and 19th century (Irish and Italians etc).

C'mon don't make me laugh .

Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,483,686 times
Quote:
I wasn't taught that there was a White history. I was taught there was Black history which in MY mind as a child made it different from White history.

Teach HISTORY to kids, not that it came from blacks or whites or gays.

That's the TRUE WAY that they learn not to discriminate against people at an early age. Teach them anthropology so they know why we look different. Different flavors of human sexuality (gay straight etc) shouldn't be taught, only how humans procreate. School should not be used to advance a political agenda.

That would make it a place to be socially programmed.

Is it impossible today to see in children the legacy of that kind of discriminatory teaching? It's been ramped up since the 1980's.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:57 PM

396 posts, read 907,304 times
Quote:
Someone doesn't need to be taught that humans come in different tones of skin because most people are exposed to seeing different ethnicities on television from birth.

Teaching about an individuals historical contribution on behalf of their sexual orientation is only done to facilitate acceptance of homosexuality in society and is Social Engineering as one poster has already said.

The state legislature has said the reason why they want to include gays in textbooks will be to prevent children from bullying gays.

It didn't stop "blacks" from being bullied to include "black" contributions to history in school textbooks.

It's social engineering, brainwashing. Period.
So we shouldn't learn about different religions either? Lets not talk about the Holocaust! Why did Anne Frank die in the Holocaust? With your logic you don't think that is important.

The hate coming from the bigots is absolutely hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies