Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have Fat History Month, Ginger History Month and Dorky Clothes
Yes, any group that gets picked on needs to feel special 15 71.43%
No, these groups are not as important as gays 3 14.29%
Not sure 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Apparently it is now the "in thing" to try and socially right perceived wrongs by promoting groups that were picked on by giving them special status. Now a days, fat kids, gingers and bad dressed kids get picked on way worse than gays, so should they have a history month or have their accomplishments be specifically singled out? What say you?
I want to promote the accomplishments of Weight Challenged Ginger kids whose mothers dress them in combat boots.

This is the pefect genetic/behavioral combination that produce a little known minority routinely presecuted by the mainstream.

I think we should start a Not4Profit named SophiasMommy since she was the one wise and sensitive enough to bring this to our attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:57 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I wasn't aware that redheads were routinely harassed.
Think it's happening more in the UK..........Red hair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Britain, it has been speculated that the dislike of red hair may derive from the historical English sentiment that people of Irish or Celtic background, with a greater prevalence of red hair, were ethnically inferior.

A UK woman recently won an award from a tribunal after being sexually harassed and receiving abuse because of her red hair; a family in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, was forced to move twice after being targeted for abuse and hate crime on account of their red hair; and in 2003, a 20 year old was stabbed in the back for "being ginger".

In May 2009, a British schoolboy committed suicide after being bullied for having red hair.

The British singer Mick Hucknall, who believes that he has repeatedly faced prejudice or been described as ugly on account of his hair color, argues that Gingerism should be described as a form of racism.

In November 2008 social networking website Facebook received criticism after a 'Kick a Ginger' group, which aimed to establish a "National Kick a Ginger Day" on November 20, acquired almost 5,000 members. A 14-year-old boy from Vancouver who ran the Facebook group was subjected to an investigation by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for possible hate crimes.

In December 2009 British supermarket chain Tesco was forced to withdraw a Christmas card which had the image of a child with red hair sitting on the lap of Santa Claus, and the words: "Santa loves all kids. Even ginger ones" after customers complained the card was too offensive.

I don't believe we need a day, we just need people to teach their children that different............... is alright!!

What's funny, how many people dye their hair "RED"!!

Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Given that there are only 12 months in a year and so many groups being discriminated and bullied, I recommend getting applications in early to secure a month...
Maybe name a star after each oppressed group??

Old 07-07-2011, 01:21 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Reconmark,

Did you mean to post in this thread?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I find it offensive that you would lump the "gay struggle" in with what blacks (slavery) and Jews (holocaust) went through.
I find it offensive that you would lump smelly, something one can do something about and can affect job performance, with "ugly" (in the eye of the beholder), "nerdy" (ditto) and "fat", something that rarely affects job performance.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:50 PM

448 posts, read 534,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Apparently it is now the "in thing" to try and socially right perceived wrongs by promoting groups that were picked on by giving them special status. Now a days, fat kids, gingers and bad dressed kids get picked on way worse than gays, so should they have a history month or have their accomplishments be specifically singled out? What say you?
I can't recall the last time I saw on the news a story of a Ginger being killed over his or her red hair....

But I do remember this.

Matthew Shepard

Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
How about a month to honor cougars? They provide interesting stimulus to society.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:54 PM

448 posts, read 534,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
How about a month to honor cougars? They provide interesting stimulus to society.
I would go for that.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Most states can fire anybody for any reason.

Being gay should not be protected any more than being ugly, smelly, fat, nerdy, etc.
No they can't. Employers cannot fire someone on the basis of race, religion, sex, disability, or marital status.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
I find it offensive that you would lump the "gay struggle" in with what blacks (slavery) and Jews (holocaust) went through.
I find it offensive that you hate gays so much you don't think they struggled when they too were sent to concetration camps, or when they're being executed in other countries for being gay.

http://www.ukgaynews.org.uk/archive/07/April/0301.htm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2859606.ece

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-08-17/w...up?_s=PM:WORLD

http://gay.americablog.com/2011/07/w...lerant-of.html

http://sfist.com/2009/03/30/iraqi_gays_scheduled_for_execution.php (broken link)

According to Ali Hili of Iraqi-LGBT, the Iraqi authorities plan to start executing them in batches of 20 from this week. There is, said Mr. Hili, at least one member of Iraqi-LGBT who are among those to be put to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies