Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:51 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,870 times

Advertisements

First I should mention that I think all history months based around a group of people is stupid. Why can't history just be taught as history? Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?

I think there's a double standard in our society. It's not racist for black history month to exist, but people would freak out if somebody tried to make a white history month, it's not racist for black people to be proud of being black, but it's considered racist if a white person is proud to be white?

Why is this?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
First I should mention that I think all history months based around a group of people is stupid. Why can't history just be taught as history? Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?

I think there's a double standard in our society. It's not racist for black history month to exist, but people would freak out if somebody tried to make a white history month, it's not racist for black people to be proud of being black, but it's considered racist if a white person is proud to be white?

Why is this?

Because they claim whites are bragging.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:

Why is this?
Because for a very long time blacks and other minorities were treated with a double standard. In an effort to undo the effects of that double standard, 'events' like Black History Month were created to showcase the contributions to this country by black people. In other words, make visible the people who in the past were treated as invisible.

You could have a White History Month, too, if you were invisible. But considering the relative high profile that white people have enjoyed and continue to enjoy, albeit to a lesser extent today, I'd say a month devoted to white people would be redundant.

[do you feel invisible?]

Last edited by MIKEETC; 08-23-2013 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
There wouldn't be a need for black history month if schools taught American history. Yes, because everything that happened to black Americans in this country is really American history. However, the average U.S H.S history class goes like this: Blacks were slaves, then there was Jim Crow and then MLK/Obama saved the day...the end.

It's like this: For years and years black people weren't invited to the party at all. So they made their own party and then white people started letting one or two of them in. Now they are like why you gotta have your own party we let a few of you in after hundreds of years of waiting to come in. Wah...wah...REVERSE RACISIM!!!!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:06 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Because for a very long time blacks and other minorities were treated with a double standard. In an effort to undo the affects of that double standard, 'events' like Black History Month were created to showcase the contributions to this country by black people. In other words, make visible the people who in the past were treated as invisible.

You could have a White History Month, too, if you were invisible. But considering the relative high profile that white people have enjoyed and continue to enjoy, albeit to a lesser extent today, I'd say a month devoted to white people would be redundant.

[do you feel invisible?]
You are way too reasonable for these boards! Be gone, with your party-pooping logic, facts, and historical context.The Wingers are trying to launch another in their endless series of pity party threads, and posters like you spoil everything

Old 08-23-2013, 12:08 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Because for a very long time blacks and other minorities were treated with a double standard. In an effort to undo the effects of that double standard, 'events' like Black History Month were created to showcase the contributions to this country by black people. In other words, make visible the people who in the past were treated as invisible.

[do you feel invisible?]
So, in order to get rid of the double standard they created a double standard... gotcha.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Because for a very long time blacks and other minorities were treated with a double standard. In an effort to undo the affects of that double standard, 'events' like Black History Month were created to showcase the contributions to this country by black people. In other words, make visible the people who in the past were treated as invisible.

[do you feel invisible?]
But what about all the struggles my white ancestors went through? They were mainly Irish and were treated like dirt by other people here. What about the Italians? Or the French who settled in the south? Many of them died from diseases. What about the Germany immigrants who were mistreated during WW2?

White people have had their fair share of problems too, in fact today I know several black people who are more successful than white people. I think blacks should also be mad at other blacks because it was originally other Africans who sold them into slavery.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:

Why is this?
Duplicate thread, there isnt a double standard, you are simply race baiting, or you did not even try to research your argument before you did it.

If anyone cares to look up the others and name the specific months im about to list, that would be appreciated.

Irish Heritage month
German Heritage month
Italian Heritage month
Hispanic Heritage month
Japanese Heritage month
Native American History Month

Old 08-23-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
You are way too reasonable for these boards! Be gone, with your party-pooping logic, facts, and historical context.The Wingers are trying to launch another in their endless series of pity party threads, and posters like you spoil everything

Who are these so called " wingers"? I fail to understand the point you were trying to make, no offense

Old 08-23-2013, 12:14 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
Exactly, no one ever cares about other ethnicities or races having a history month only black history month makes the haters angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Duplicate thread, there isnt a double standard, you are simply race baiting, or you did not even try to research your argument before you did it.

If anyone cares to look up the others and name the specific months im about to list, that would be appreciated.

Irish Heritage month
German Heritage month
Italian Heritage month
Hispanic Heritage month
Japanese Heritage month
Native American History Month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies