Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,131,949 times

Advertisements

okeedokee, the 95% who will be "paying their own way" want to know, what tax hikes do you propose? 50-60-100%? I hear this so often, with no real figures.

So...'fess up folks.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:15 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,499,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyson View Post
Problem is that the 95% are paying for the 5%. Check the facts. Check the actual NUMBERS -- they are published and easily available for you to see!

It is clear that the middle class has been transferring wealth to the top 5-10% of the wealthiest people in this country for the past four decades!!!!

Our taxes go up, theirs go down. Look at the charts:
It's the Inequality, Stupid | Mother Jones
Really?

Because when I was 5 years old I figured it out real quick when I spent the first dollar I had on some bubble gum and I didn't have that dollar anymore but I had some bubblegum that I summarily swallowed.

The clerk behind the counter took my dollar and still has it and I have nothing but a purple tongue. I didn't buy anymore bubblegum.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,093,541 times
Quote:
Problem is that the 95% are paying for the 5%. Check the facts. Check the actual NUMBERS -- they are published and easily available for you to see!

It is clear that the middle class has been transferring wealth to the top 5-10% of the wealthiest people in this country for the past four decades!!!!

Our taxes go up, theirs go down. Look at the charts:
It's the Inequality, Stupid | Mother Jones
Your in left field. Again, what wealth or income is being distributed from the poor to the wealthy? The high earners are asking to keep more of their money instead of giving it to the govt to be redistributed.
Tell me - the wealthy and high earners pay for their share of services received...it is not appropriate to ask high earners to subsidize others..even those some people just want to leach off others. We can not afford this govt...it measn we cut services..then we don't have an imbalance with revenues...

Old 07-08-2011, 11:40 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,093,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
okeedokee, the 95% who will be "paying their own way" want to know, what tax hikes do you propose? 50-60-100%? I hear this so often, with no real figures.

So...'fess up folks.
Why don't we ask the 40-45% of folks paying no income tax to pay a similar rate as others...or at the minimal 10-20%....and being charitable, exempt the first 20-25K of income...then the federal services they recieve will be kept up..

Old 07-08-2011, 11:45 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,962,984 times
To heck with the tax cuts, my question is why we are not going to a Flat or Consumption tax, either of which would bring in more money
Casper

Old 07-08-2011, 11:46 AM

59,235 posts, read 27,425,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Glad you found the light of sanity Though it is true lack of intelligence and understanding is common for many on the right who will vote for anyone that has an (R) next to their name. It doesn't matter how bad they screw up, unqualified, kooky, where they sit on the issues, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that (R)
The same can be said about you and anyone that has an (D) next to their name.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM

30,087 posts, read 18,704,527 times
Quote:
What most people don't realize is that in this country, 5% of the people own 60% of the wealth. In fact, the top 1% own 40% of the wealth.

In the past 4 decades, the top 10% have seen their wealth increase by nearly a trillion dollars, while the bottom 90% (yes, that is you) have lost about 800 billion.
(see charts: It's the Inequality, Stupid | Mother Jones)

These posters don't realize that the rich are NOT paying for the rest of us -- IT IS THE OPPOSITE. Our tax payments (middle class) have gone up, while corporate taxes have gone down to zero or less (they get big refunds). You can talk about corporate tax rates being high, but this is meaningless when they don't actually pay those rates. They pay nothing (check out GE's tax report for last year, for example. Zero.)

YOU ARE SUBSIDIZING THE RICH. THEY ARE ROBBING YOU BLIND.

It is as simple as that.

(And yes, the lower classes are also receiving transfers of wealth from the middle class, which makes it even more onerous for the workers of this country.)

The rich have the republicans to speak for them and the poor have the democrats to represent them, but the middle class has no one.

Stop whining and work harder if you want to have more money. It is not your "right" to demand the income of others, simply because you have not achieved your financial goals.

The problem with being a dependent beggar is that it takes away many of the options that would otherwise be available to those who live by thier own means.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,217,696 times
As of 2008 the top 5% paid 58.72% of all federal income taxes (whereas fair would be if the top 5% paid 5% of federal income taxes), and as of today there is $7.7 Trillion in unfunded liabilities in social security.

The wealthy already carry this country, and social security is obviously not sustainable in its current state. Tell me, have the democrats who complain about these issues ever actually looked at the numbers?

Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,499,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Your in left field. Again, what wealth or income is being distributed from the poor to the wealthy? The high earners are asking to keep more of their money instead of giving it to the govt to be redistributed.
Tell me - the wealthy and high earners pay for their share of services received...it is not appropriate to ask high earners to subsidize others..even those some people just want to leach off others. We can not afford this govt...it measn we cut services..then we don't have an imbalance with revenues...
The middle class gave their money to the wealthy then summarily complain that they don't have any money because the rich took it from them. They then elect a leader that will redistribute that money back to them through welfare programs where they rinse and repeat.

Eventually the equilibrium is everyone is relatively poor and resources scarce and expensive.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:56 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,676,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
As of 2008 the top 5% paid 58.72% of all federal income taxes (whereas fair would be if the top 5% paid 5% of federal income taxes), and as of today there is $7.7 Trillion in unfunded liabilities in social security.

The wealthy already carry this country, and social security is obviously not sustainable in its current state. Tell me, have the democrats who complain about these issues ever actually looked at the numbers?
Could you please provide a link to the 7.7 Trillion in unfunded social security? Thank you.

Mohawkx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies