Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:25 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,909 times

Advertisements

I was only wondering how conservatives and liberals think. What do we agree on, or disagree on. I think it would be an intersting thread for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 02:46 AM

404 posts, read 711,648 times
I haven't done enough research on the subject to provide an answer that I am comfortable with. I would only be able to provide you with what I get from other ordinary people.

For me I think I am more conservative than liberal. I have both points of views. Tighter security and more freedom.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:21 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
I'm not so sure anymore. Those terms now seem to be used as a prejorative to be hurled at someone you disagree with.

We need to come up with two new words IMO.

But you asked, I'll play. I lean conservative, in the popular sense, on most issues.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:43 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepizzaguy View Post
I haven't done enough research on the subject to provide an answer that I am comfortable with. I would only be able to provide you with what I get from other ordinary people.

For me I think I am more conservative than liberal. I have both points of views. Tighter security and more freedom.
And can you have tighter security and more freedom ?

Old 08-10-2007, 06:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Gross Generalisations ahead but my views nonetheless :

To me liberals are people who see the whole of society including the poor and vulnerable still as a valid part of society and believe that we should all have basic rights ( such as universal healthcare and a social net for the disadvantaged). I see them as more compassionate, generous and less obsessed about money or taxes. People who think it is their duty to contribute more to society if they have "made good" and people who believe in a juster and more equitable world. People who think the worker at the bottom of the corporation is still a valuable member of it and a cog in the machine making it run smoothly.

I see conservatives as people who see the individual first ( ie themselves) and only want what is good for them not necessarily others. People who believe that taxes are the devil's ploy to steal from them and give to others. I am sorry if I offend anyone but I see conservatives as being more selfish and a lot more repressive about minorities such as Gay people, foreigners, Muslims, anybody who is different from them. People who scream "anti-American" any time someone dares to criticise their values. People who think the world was perfect 50 years ago and "what the heck is diversity about anyway ?". People who favour huge multi national corporations rather the the workers who make those corporations run smoothly.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:56 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
I was going to post, but Moosketeer pretty much said it ll

End of thread !

Old 08-10-2007, 07:40 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
And can you have tighter security and more freedom ?
I am registered Independent, yet believe, I lean more toward the conservative side....

To me, and correct me if I'm wrong, but liberals are people who do not believe in hunting...people who believe guns should not exist, that guns kill people...they are people who want to leave anybody into this country in the name of freedom, who believe we should not close our boarders...who believe in abortion but believe that animals are people to...who feel more sorry for the criminal rather then the victim...who believe prisoners should have rights....that everything has to be overseen by the government, that no child should be left behind, believe that it's bad to spank a child...that being gay is natural....that 2nd hand smoke will kill you, they believe in global warming...that conservatives are racists...they believe in diversity so much so, that they will sell our souls to it...they believe the military are bad people and start wars...they believe that conservatives are the devil's advocate.....liberal thinking is political correctness which infrindges on everyone else's beliefs.....they believe that before federal funding there was no life...they believe Hillary Clinton is a lady and Rosie O'Donnell is not really a man who is jealous of Tom Selleck.

No clapping just throw money, prefably dollar bills cuz they don't hurt...and oh, liberals are all those who get made at me, and fail to see the humor in this....

independents, as myself, sit on the fence pleading the 5th

Conservatives...one word...My Brother-in-law

Sorry, I'm in a really strange mood today, and women are allowed, right?

Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 AM

404 posts, read 711,648 times
If you are looking at the right people. At least in my world I can.

Yes. I live in my own world. We all live in our own world, as soon as everybody can figure this out the better off we will all be. I am just one planet of many.

So get off my lawn!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:05 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Gross Generalisations ahead but my views nonetheless :

To me liberals are people who see the whole of society including the poor and vulnerable still as a valid part of society and believe that we should all have basic rights ( such as universal healthcare and a social net for the disadvantaged). I see them as more compassionate, generous and less obsessed about money or taxes. People who think it is their duty to contribute more to society if they have "made good" and people who believe in a juster and more equitable world. People who think the worker at the bottom of the corporation is still a valuable member of it and a cog in the machine making it run smoothly.

I see conservatives as people who see the individual first ( ie themselves) and only want what is good for them not necessarily others. People who believe that taxes are the devil's ploy to steal from them and give to others. I am sorry if I offend anyone but I see conservatives as being more selfish and a lot more repressive about minorities such as Gay people, foreigners, Muslims, anybody who is different from them. People who scream "anti-American" any time someone dares to criticise their values. People who think the world was perfect 50 years ago and "what the heck is diversity about anyway ?". People who favour huge multi national corporations rather the the workers who make those corporations run smoothly.
Your point about the poor is inaccurate and is a very frequently used method of discrediting conservatives. The difference is on the role of government regarding the poor. Conservatives think that there are people that really need government help and they should get it. For the others, conservatives think they should be encouraged and taught to fish while liberals think that's mean and that it's the role of the government to make sure they always have fish. Some of the biggest contributors to charity are the businesses and people you would call uncaring along with churches. They prefer to help that way rather than have the government do it. The rest of the post is partisan talking points.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:05 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
I was only wondering how conservatives and liberals think. What do we agree on, or disagree on. I think it would be an intersting thread for thought.
Without being pejorative, I believe liberals are more focused upon collective gains and more equitable distribution of benefits. I believe conservatives are more focused upon individual obligations and benefits associated with diligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies