Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
This might not be a good thing, but you do have to put yourself in Israel's shoes before you hold it up to American standards.
You've already delved too deep for the jewhating filth to grasp. Context is of no interest to jew-hating filth, they will relentlessly attack israel no matter what.

This whole thread is trolling stupidity, initiated and sustained by stormfront trash who of course, immediately respond to mine and any israel-defending posts. This racist trash is here to bash jews, not debate facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
You've already delved too deep for the jewhating filth to grasp. Context is of no interest to jew-hating filth, they will relentlessly attack israel no matter what.

This whole thread is trolling stupidity, initiated and sustained by stormfront trash who of course, immediately respond to mine and any israel-defending posts. This racist trash is here to bash jews, not debate facts.
Three in one post....lol......Is this a parody?.....Sterp...just go with...JHT...that will you some time...lol

Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
If you weren't racist trash with no clue, I probably would bother explaining that this action is not a free-speech issue, but one related to a tiny, 4-million strong, isolated nation trying to survive from the jew-hating trash of the earth.
Having a dislike of Jews is not racism.

Quote:
This whole thread is trolling stupidity... This racist trash is here to bash jews, not debate facts.
Then let's debate facts.

We can start with this thread initiated by me:

The Office of Anti-Boycott Compliance

Quote:
In Contentious Vote, Israel Bans Calls for Boycott Allows Lawsuits Against Boycott Advocates to Proceed Without Proof

In a vote which caused heated debate and public condemnation, the Israeli Knesset today passed a law formally banning the advocacy of boycotts either against Israel or any settlements constructed in occupied territory. The vote was 47-38.

Under the law, Israeli courts will accept any lawsuit against any advocate of such a boycott. There will be no need for the plaintiff to prove that any damages were done, and will obtain summary judgment simply by proving that such a call was made. The law will also punish companies involved in any boycott.
Antiboycott Compliance

Quote:
Who Is Covered by the Laws?

The antiboycott provisions of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) apply to the activities of U.S. persons in the interstate or foreign commerce of the United States. The term "U.S. person" includes all individuals, corporations and unincorporated associations resident in the United States, including the permanent domestic affiliates of foreign concerns. U.S. persons also include U.S. citizens abroad (except when they reside abroad and are employed by non-U.S. persons) and the controlled in fact affiliates of domestic concerns. The test for "controlled in fact" is the ability to establish the general policies or to control the day to day operations of the foreign affiliate.

What do the Laws Prohibit?

Conduct that may be penalized under the TRA and/or prohibited under the EAR includes:

Agreements to refuse or actual refusal to do business with or in Israel or with blacklisted companies.

Agreements to discriminate or actual discrimination against other persons based on race, religion, sex, national origin or nationality.

Agreements to furnish or actual furnishing of information about business relationships with or in Israel or with blacklisted companies.

Agreements to furnish or actual furnishing of information about the race, religion, sex, or national origin of another person.
The facts are that the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution states the following:

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Some parts of the 1st Amendment are not relevant to this discussion and are highlighted in red.

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Which leaves us with the relevant statements:

Quote:
Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble.
Clearly, the US government's Office of Anti-Boycott Compliance violates the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

I have the right to criticize the US Government's actions or lack of action with respect to its policies toward Israel.

I also have the right to assemble peaceably with others who share or hold similar views.

Additionally, I have the right to publish those views.

Boycotting is one means of expressing dissent. I have the right to protest State Liquor Stores in Ohio by boycotting them and purchasing alcoholic beverages in Kentucky (who do not operate State-owned stores) instead.

I also have the right to express my dissent over a sales tax increase to fund a sports stadium that I did not want, by traveling to another county to purchase goods to avoid paying the sales tax.

By the same token, and contrary to the US Office of Anti-Boycott Compliance, I have the right to express my dissent over US policy toward Israel by boycotting Israeli goods by either refusing to purchase them, refusing to import them, or refusing to sell them. I can also refuse to transport them and refuse to do business or patronize companies who purchase, sell or transport those goods.

Since Israel is not a US State or Commonwealth, the Commerce Clause does not apply and Congress has no authority to regulate.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
In before being called anti-semite.

You knew the truth, because the truth has no agenda.

Toe matter, tamoto.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
I don't buy anything made in Israel, or Israeli owned. Banana Republic ...stopped shopping there. ...Home Depot owned by a right wing Israeli supporter...never shop there.

That would all be illegal if right wing Israeli apologists had their way.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:50 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I don't buy anything made in Israel, or Israeli owned. Banana Republic ...stopped shopping there. ...Home Depot owned by a right wing Israeli supporter...never shop there.

That would all be illegal if right wing Israeli apologists had their way.
Hate to break it to you, but you'll also have to forego USB flash drives, cherry tomatoes, and the major medications for MS and cancer....

List of Israeli inventions and discoveries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-14-2011, 02:41 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,799,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Having a dislike of Jews is not racism.
Yeah, okay, neither is having the disliking of whites or blacks, right?

Anyway, back to the topic, those who are on the immediate defense of Israel here need to realize how Natanyahu is ruining the country.

This law just passed is un-Democratic and completely against everything Israel stands for. Did you know that they're now trying to pass laws investigating leftist groups?

The right-ies in Israel, now that they are in power, are slowly peeling away at the ability of the opposition and any other political party to take foothold in the next election (whenever it is).

The country is definitely headed in the WRONG direction and I don't know why your calling people "Jew-hating trash" for saying things like this.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:22 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Reactions in Israel and the US regarding the "boycott ban:"

"When asked to comment on the anti-boycott law, the U.S. State Department said the law was an "Israeli internal matter" but also hinted its criticism by pointing out the right to peaceful protest in democratic countries."
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...right-1.372884

Also in Israel, many groups are speaking out against this new "law."

One of these is the Anti-Defamation League.
Knesset Anti-Boycott Law May Infringe On Basic Democratic Rights

Several Jewish human rights groups have already appealed to the high court:
Gush Shalom first to appeal 'Boyc... JPost - Diplomacy & Politics

From the Jewish newspaper Haaretz:

"Netanyahu is turning Israel into a country that silences its citizens (Army Radio)."
Breaking News - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper (http://www.haaretz.com/misc/breaking-news - broken link)

Peace!
brian

Old 07-14-2011, 04:04 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Shrug. Israel is a democracy. If enough people think Bibi is screwing up bigtime, they can throw his butt out of office. Not so in any of the Arab countries. That's why they're all fighting in the streets.

Some here may not like the comparisons, but the Middle East is not an isolated area. What happens there affects us all. And right now, Israel is the only responsible democracy. Its citizens are in charge of what happens and what its policies are. That's the way it works in free countries.

Disagreeing with the current government of Israel is one thing. Calling Israel a racist totalitarian state is quite another. It reflects either a shocking degree of ignorance, or simple, willful mendacity.

Personally, I think the Israelis do a remarkable job of protecting civil liberties given the proximity, size, and number of their enemies.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:34 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,799,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Shrug. Israel is a democracy. If enough people think Bibi is screwing up bigtime, they can throw his butt out of office. Not so in any of the Arab countries. That's why they're all fighting in the streets.

Some here may not like the comparisons, but the Middle East is not an isolated area. What happens there affects us all. And right now, Israel is the only responsible democracy. Its citizens are in charge of what happens and what its policies are. That's the way it works in free countries.

Disagreeing with the current government of Israel is one thing. Calling Israel a racist totalitarian state is quite another. It reflects either a shocking degree of ignorance, or simple, willful mendacity.

Personally, I think the Israelis do a remarkable job of protecting civil liberties given the proximity, size, and number of their enemies.
Elections in Israel aren't the same as in the US. They're not held every four years or so.... thus it could be several years before the government holds elections again...... its not as "easy" to overthrow Natanyahu as you would think.

I agree on the ignorance of calling Israel a racist, totalitarian state. But being able to say just that is the example of Israel's democracy. Slowly and slowly the Likud and other far right parties are stripping those rights away and neglecting to recognize the several flaws in Arab citizens rights.

Not to mention the fact that Natanyahu just LOVES tension and confrontations between Israel's former allies (the US and Europe).

Face it. The country's being run by a crappy, militant right wing government that, like Livni has said, is running the country into an abyss it soon won't be able to get out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies