Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 04:26 PM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Wars are very expensive.
So is "investing" in companies that are going under like Solyndra.

So was Cash For Clunkers.

So is using Stimulus money for things that weren't even close to stimulating the economy.

Do you have a point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So is "investing" in companies that are going under like Solyndra.

So was Cash For Clunkers.

So is using Stimulus money for things that weren't even close to stimulating the economy.

Do you have a point?
Solyndra's cost was less than the rounding error of the cost of the Iraq War.

I can't think of anything in the Stimulus that had no economic stimulative effect.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:38 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Solyndra's cost was less than the rounding error of the cost of the Iraq War.

I can't think of anything in the Stimulus that had no economic stimulative effect.
Duh. what a brilliant post.

I know you think of yourself as being so much smarter the the rest of us.

With that said I will go real slow just for you.

Solyndra was an EXAMPLE. There are other companies Obama has gotten his fingers into that have wasted precious tax dollars.

Obama touted the Stimulus as a way, wait for it, to STIMULATE the economy. He promised if it was passed, unemployment would NOT go above 8%. How well did that work out.

He is even seen laughing and saying, "I guess there wasn't many shovel ready projects after all."

I guess in your Obama loving world you turned your ears off every time he touted that the stimulus was to go for "shovel ready jobs". When in reality way to much went to gov't agencies which were not in jeopardy of going out of business.

Some money even went to the HHS to pay for OVERTIME. Their existing budget already covered that.

I could go on but you aren't interested in anything negative about your idol.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
The conservative response is that cutting taxes and laying of government workers is going to increase employment. It didn't work ever before.

The progressive plan is to use Keynesian principles that have worked before.
I almost fell off my chair laughing at your posting again because
Quote:
Yet, Clinton had far more lasting employment.
Clinton followed the conservative platform, by cutting taxes, and reducing the growth of government. you celebrate him in 1 posting, while blasting his policies in another.

And there hasnt been a Keynesian principle put into place in America since our foundation, so how the hell would you know if it works? Keynesian principles involve RUNNING SURPLUSES.. Something we dont do EVER,..

Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
The economy under Bush was far weaker than Clinton's, who had higher rates.
Its called a recession.. Thats like saying the great depression was weaker than the period before it, and then blaming tax cuts.. Utterly ridiculous..

Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its called a recession.. Thats like saying the great depression was weaker than the period before it, and then blaming tax cuts.. Utterly ridiculous..
The entire Bush presidency wasn't in recession. Before the great recession in 2008, the only previous recession was in 2001 that lasted 3 quarters. All the periods between the economy was weaker, with lack luster job growth.

The facts still stand that Bush's economy, with lower taxes, was weaker than Clinton's, with higher taxes. Your excuse about a recession, which was short-lives, doesn't explain your theory that low taxes improve the economy. It didn't during the periods that Bush's economy wasn't in recession.

What's utterly ridiculous is you clinging ideology which again and again is disproved by facts.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Duh. what a brilliant post.

I know you think of yourself as being so much smarter the the rest of us.

With that said I will go real slow just for you.

Solyndra was an EXAMPLE. There are other companies Obama has gotten his fingers into that have wasted precious tax dollars.

Obama touted the Stimulus as a way, wait for it, to STIMULATE the economy. He promised if it was passed, unemployment would NOT go above 8%. How well did that work out.

He is even seen laughing and saying, "I guess there wasn't many shovel ready projects after all."

I guess in your Obama loving world you turned your ears off every time he touted that the stimulus was to go for "shovel ready jobs". When in reality way to much went to gov't agencies which were not in jeopardy of going out of business.

Some money even went to the HHS to pay for OVERTIME. Their existing budget already covered that.

I could go on but you aren't interested in anything negative about your idol.
Obama never made such a PROMISE.
President Obama promised that with the stimulus plan, "unemployment would never go above 8 percent.
Verdict:

The stimulus also worked, no matter how much you wanted it to fail

Old 05-28-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
The entire Bush presidency wasn't in recession. Before the great recession in 2008, the only previous recession was in 2001 that lasted 3 quarters. All the periods between the economy was weaker, with lack luster job growth.

The facts still stand that Bush's economy, with lower taxes, was weaker than Clinton's, with higher taxes. Your excuse about a recession, which was short-lives, doesn't explain your theory that low taxes improve the economy. It didn't during the periods that Bush's economy wasn't in recession.

What's utterly ridiculous is you clinging ideology which again and again is disproved by facts.
The GDP under Clinton, the years you celebrate as fabulous, grew by $3.5T, under Bush, they grew over $4T, until of course we hit the recession. Furthermore, if Clinton was so fabulous, then why arent you pushing tax cuts, because Clinton also cut taxes. Capital gains from 28% to 20%, and taxes on 90% of small businesses.

Its not my clinging ideology which is failed, its you saying they are bad, while then celebrating presidents who used this platform to boost their economy. Smaller government, cutting taxes are EXACTLY what Clinton did to jumpstart his economy, but you sit here and call for the opposite to take place while using Clinton as an example who didnt use your utopia scenario. in fact he used the exact opposite.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The GDP under Clinton, the years you celebrate as fabulous, grew by $3.5T, under Bush, they grew over $4T.
I don't see your claim supported by data.

Real GDP grew by two trillion under Bush EXCLUDING the drop in 2008 and about 2.5 trillion under Clinton.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I don't see your claim supported by data.

Real GDP grew by two trillion under Bush EXCLUDING the drop in 2008 and about 2.5 trillion under Clinton.
GDP
End of 1992 - $6.5 trillion
End of 2000 - $10.0 trillion
End of 2007 - $14.1 trillion
Then we entered the recession.

As for me not supporting my data, you never do. You sat here and jumped up and down about how Clinton was so great, but you completely ignored the fact that Clinton cut taxes and the growth of government.

Hey MTA, if Clinton cut taxes, and the growth of government, leading to such a fabulous economy, why exactly are you expecting the same result from doing the exact opposite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies