Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 05:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I think Facebook and Twitter have added to our lack of social skills. People used to talk face to face before the advent of these technological tools. I see our young people growing up socially inept.
On the other hand, people who could not communicate in person due to, for example, distance, can now easily do so.

[if I were to talk to every person I know face-to-face, then I'd be doing a lot of driving]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 05:38 PM

67 posts, read 66,946 times
This is a sad statement America, how much dumber can we get?

Remember when achievements we were things like putting a man into space? At this rate we will
be living in caves in another generation because no one will know how to build a house.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:40 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Both increase communication and are another set of channels for the distribution of information.

[results vary, of course]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
How about a communication portal that is completely free for people to keep in touch? My friend talks to her husband in Afghanistan by it. I keep up with my friends and family in Virginia by it. No charge at all. Plus less wasted paper inviting folks to events.

Didnt AOL instant Messenger do that? perhaps even email?

But you two bring a very good point. Facebook and Twitter presents the opportunity for increased communication.

But how has the general public benefited from all this increased communication? I know a lot of things go viral due to twitter/facebook.

Did it help gay marriage pass in NY? it helped get Obama elected (thats a pro or con depending on your party affiliation)

I think mostly silly stuff goes viral though. I dont know what big thing Facebook/Twiter has done.

Does it help Americans find jobs? I doubt that.

I'm having difficulty finding some pros of Facebook/Twitter.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:42 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
There is nothing innovating of FB and Twitter. They just change the way we use the internet.

The only benefit they have is that they only give a means of communication that you couldn't otherwise get in actual social interaction. They don't have economic value. To say they are equivalent to the industrial revolution is plain insane.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrunner View Post
This is a sad statement America, how much dumber can we get?

Remember when achievements we were things like putting a man into space? At this rate we will
be living in caves in another generation because no one will know how to build a house.
None of that is important. Putting a man in space is expensive and we have too many houses. Besides, the Chinese will do the space thing and the Mexicans will build the houses.

[just sit back and relax]

Old 07-16-2011, 05:47 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm watching HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher and one of the panelist (Chrystia Freeland) said that Facebook and Twitter is this generations invention. She said in a way that it benefits the public the same way the internet did in the early 2000s and the steam engine during the industrial revolution.

Now, my question is, how does the public benefit from Facebook and Twitter?

I truthfully want to know.

I know businesses and politicians could possibly benefit from facebook and twitter. But how does the general public benefit from Facebook and Twitter?
It doesn't really.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:48 PM

167 posts, read 239,603 times
I think something better will come.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:49 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
To say they are equivalent to the industrial revolution is plain insane.
I just finished watching the show and I didn't take her remark as has been posted on this thread.

During that segment, there was a discussion going on about economic prosperity and how in each era there was something that spurred the economy. Mark Cuban referred to "the internet and steam engine" as things that helped the economy during various times in our history. Cuban then went on to say that our problem *now* is that we have NOTHING. We have nothing to spur economic growth and jobs. Freeland disagreed with him and said that we have had major innovations such as Facebook and Twitter. She also said that technology has been huge in industry (Apple products and the like). So she disagreed with him that we had nothing but, in my mind, I don't think she really equated that with the strength of the steam engine.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:58 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I just finished watching the show and I didn't take her remark as has been posted on this thread.

During that segment, there was a discussion going on about economic prosperity and how in each era there was something that spurred the economy. Mark Cuban referred to "the internet and steam engine" as things that helped the economy during various times in our history. Cuban then went on to say that our problem *now* is that we have NOTHING. We have nothing to spur economic growth and jobs. Freeland disagreed with him and said that we have had major innovations such as Facebook and Twitter. She also said that technology has been huge in industry (Apple products and the like). So she disagreed with him that we had nothing but, in my mind, I don't think she really equated that with the strength of the steam engine.
I posted it in the "Mark Cuban Schools Uninformed Liberals".

Freeland is crazy to think social media spurs economic growth. Facebook employs about 500 people. Twitter has a few hundreds.

Last edited by knowledgeiskey; 07-16-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

Yeah, I couldn't rewind what i was watching. This is more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I posted it in the "Mark Cuban Schools Uninformed Liberals".

Freeland is crazy to think social media spurs economic growth. Faceboom employs about 500 people. Twitter has a few hundreds.
RIGHT?

she was blabbering sweet nothings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies