Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:20 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Gays and lesbians get married and have kids too, they also adopt, whey prevent them from having the same rights and protections afforded to straight privileged couples. YOU are aware that there is no law saying that for straight married people to have those 1049 federal rights, that they must procreate? If that were the case, no senior citizen wanting to marry his or her lover, would be allowed to and why should they be allowed to marry, they are not protecting any children they may create out of their union, why can the senior wife of that newly created union get his SS pension, or retirement or anything even. Using children and procreation as the grounds for denying gays and lesbians the same rights to marriage is bogus and discriminatory, bottom line. Why is divorce still being allowed, yet gays are not allowed marriage?

So what is the purpose of sexual exclusivity prescribed by the marriage contract if not to prevent children being conceived outside of the marriage?

Since homosexuals having sex with members of their own sex doesn't ever result in pregnancy, what purpose would the marital prohibitions against sex outside the marriage serve if it applies to two members of the same sex who only have sex with their own sex?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:20 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Being a homosexual is a choice.

It is practiced by people who have decided to pervert society. It is abnormal.
Do you also believe the earth is 6000 years old, men walked with dinosaurs and Joan of Arc was Noah's wife?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:23 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Being gay has NOTHING to do with being 'childish'. I live in a rural town in North Dakota. In middle school I was harassed on a daily basis because i was 'perceived' to be gay. ( which i was but i didn't come out to others until i was 25 because of these experiences). In the meantime I tried anything to be straight. I tried 'acting' like the stereotypical male would, dating women etc. It just made me more depressed and i turned to heavy drinking because of it.

Also to make matters worse, when i was younger i became a born again Christian, so this made it even harder to accept that i was gay. I remember crying and praying to God when I was in middle school to help me.

At 25 I just couldn't do it anymore, I was drinking heavily and had NO sense of SELF. I then decided just to accept that I was gay and told my friends and family. After that everything got MUCH better. I was able to stop drinking so heavily INSTANTLY and I am still in the process of discovering who i am since i MISSED OUT on doing that when you are SUPPOSED too during high school and college thanks to PEOPLE LIKE YOU... who sit their in the cushy lives in IGNORANCE with BIG MOUTHS and THINK they know what they are talking about when they don't.
I really do believe some are born gay, others are either experimenting, confused, or just want to play and don't care who they lay with, that's immaturity.
I believe you should be able to live your life as you choose, as long as you don't infringe upon the rights of others. That is what this battle has become. I don't think you should have the right to redefine marriage, but your state may grant you all the rights of marriage in a civil union.
Children are vulnerable to pressures, because they are rebellious and immature. Leave them alone, and we will leave you alone.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:24 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
"Like I said before, if gays want to play house together, that's fine. It's really no one else's business, but dragging marriage through the gutter to accomplish a small special interest group's political goal is too expensive a price to pay."

Bingo!

Poor dragonslayer is not slaying too many dragons...
How long have you played house with your spouse? I have been with my husband for 32 years and we call it married. You are on the losing side, dude. Your antiquated bible views do not apply to everyone and soon it will tell. We are not a christian run nation with christian laws. Legally discriminating against gays will go the same route that discriminating against black Americans did. It is unfair and unequal and un American.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:25 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I really do believe some are born gay, others are either experimenting, confused, or just want to play and don't care who they lay with, that's immaturity.
I believe you should be able to live your life as you choose, as long as you don't infringe upon the rights of others. That is what this battle has become. I don't think you should have the right to redefine marriage, but your state may grant you all the rights of marriage in a civil union.
Children are vulnerable to pressures, because they are rebellious and immature. Leave them alone, and we will leave you alone.
What do you mean by 'leave them alone'.. are you trying to imply that i abuse children? for your information i happen to LOVE children and even helped raise one, many gay couples HAVE children. i will 'leave them alone' as much as YOU will.

Also what we are TALKING about is CIVIL MARRIAGE RIGHTS. My parents got married before a judge, NOT in a church, and my church performs same sex weddings anyway. That's up to the individual church if they want to marry anybody at all.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychNurse
When did you make the choice to be heterosexual? Do you have to make the choice everyday? I just had this discussion with my husband this morning, for all the people who keep saying it is a choice and that people choose their sexuality, I don't remember -ever- making a choice as a woman to like men. I just do. I don't wake up everyday and make the choice to be heterosexual, I just am. So for the people who have had to make a choice to be heterosexual or homosexual when did that occur? I admit I can't relate to the "it is a choice" position because I don't and never did choose to be heterosexual. Do the people who think it is a choice understand that some of us who are heterosexual did not ever make a choice?

This issue has already been covered...in an earlier post..on this Thread..
Evade telling us the answer, just like all you straight anti gay people always do. It is a simple question really. When did you choose to be straight?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:27 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The USA dates back to antiquity?

You are talking about Marriage Certificates, those go back long before licenses. They were issued AFTER a marriage as a way to document the act took place.

As the link you provided said.

"For centuries, marriages were private contracts between two families that may or may not have had the bridegroom or bride's consent. Marriage was not only for procreation, but for also building financial, social and, in some cases, political alliances. When the state-run Church of England decided it wanted to have a say in approving marriage partnerships, laws regarding marriage licensing were established to ensure a level of control and source for revenues."

Oh what a holy union that is.

"in 1741, the state increased control over marriages, primarily to prohibit interracial marriages by issuing marriage licenses. By the 1920s, some 38 other states had issued similar laws in an effort to keep the white race "pure." Virginia's Racial Integrity Act (RIA) of 1924 made it illegal for mixed-race couples to marry."

Gee what a history you support.

Maybe you should read what you link next time.

So we should nullify marriages for those who don't have children?

Find me a copy of a Marriage License from any of our founders.

Was there a point?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
You have an argument. - I have an experience with the Author of that 2000 plus year old Bible. That's the difference in our disagreement. You must want the TRUTH....to find it >>>HIM<<<
Ah!! You had an experience with a dilusion and you want us to believe you for that reason. LOL

Old 07-17-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So what is the purpose of sexual exclusivity prescribed by the marriage contract if not to prevent children being conceived outside of the marriage?

Since homosexuals having sex with members of their own sex doesn't ever result in pregnancy, what purpose would the marital prohibitions against sex outside the marriage serve if it applies to two members of the same sex who only have sex with their own sex?
Since when does a marriage contract or license prevent out of wedlock children or sex outside of marriage. None of those prohibitions against sex outside of marriage seem to be working for you straight people. Try something else, monkey, this one did not work. Grasping at straws is all you are doing and you are coming up empty again. Do not like gay marriage? Don't go into one, but to deny me marriage to my partner of 32 years and the rights associated with it, is discrimination, OUTRIGHT DISCRIMINATION based on ignorance, fear and your precious fairy tale christian bible.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:59 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Since when does a marriage contract or license prevent out of wedlock children or sex outside of marriage. None of those prohibitions against sex outside of marriage seem to be working for you straight people. Try something else, monkey, this one did not work. Grasping at straws is all you are doing and you are coming up empty again. Do not like gay marriage? Don't go into one, but to deny me marriage to my partner of 32 years and the rights associated with it, is discrimination, OUTRIGHT DISCRIMINATION based on ignorance, fear and your precious fairy tale christian bible.
So is the ban on polygamy discrimination, so is marrying your sister. Where does it end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies