Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:56 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,991,075 times

Advertisements

Is it really due to taxes, or do red states just offer better subsidies than blue states do? Taxes only differ less than 10% in almost all cases at the top bracket. My state has the 2nd highest corporate income tax in the country, but we aren't exactly bleeding jobs. Pittsburgh is rebounding from its rustbelt past even if our tax rate is a flat 9.99%. There is much more than simply tax rates at play, because if we follow the logic that high taxes cause unemployment, PA should have the second worst unemployment rate in the country (behind Iowa) but that is not the case. I should add as well that PA is not a right-to-work state. Case in point: second highest corporate taxes in the country, high property taxes combined with personal income tax, yet our unemployment rate is on par with North Carolina's, and lower than most of the Southern states like Tennessee, Georgia, and Kentucky

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 02-03-2014 at 11:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 11:00 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Is it really due to taxes, or do red states just offer better subsidies than blue states do? Taxes only differ less than 10% in almost all cases at the top bracket. My state has the 2nd highest corporate income tax in the country, but we aren't exactly bleeding jobs. Pittsburgh is rebounding from its rustbelt past even if our tax rate is a flat 9.99%.
The difference between Indiana and Illinois tax rate is about 1%.

Is a company going to spend a ton of money in relocation and retraining for 1% savings?????

Old 02-03-2014, 11:05 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,428,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post

Is a company going to spend a ton of money in relocation and retraining for 1% savings?????
Probably not, but its not just 1%....its also whatever they can extort out of local governments for canceling property taxes, and refunding taxes etc etc.

Seriously the deals these companies make are obscene.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,991,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post

They're not, unless IN is bribing them with subsidies. This is how Red states work. They need to bribe companies and steal jobs from the North and the Upper Midwest. Taxes, in most cases, have little to do with it. Again, if it were really about taxes, why does my state have an unemployment rate of 6.9% versus 8.0% for KY and 7.4% for TN, states that right wingers brag about have a lot of auto plants and other factories? I also forgot to mention that Pennsylvania has over 12 million people, the two states I mentioned have less people than PA. TN has half the population of PA, KY has 1/3 and both still have unemployment rates significantly higher than mine

Old 02-03-2014, 11:30 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,951,229 times
Quote:
They're not, unless IN is bribing them with subsidies. This is how Red states work. They need to bribe companies and steal jobs from the North and the Upper Midwest. Taxes, in most cases, have little to do with it. Again, if it were really about taxes, why does my state have an unemployment rate of 6.9% versus 8.0% for KY and 7.4% for TN, states that right wingers brag about have a lot of auto plants and other factories? I also forgot to mention that Pennsylvania has over 12 million people, the two states I mentioned have less people than PA. TN has half the population of PA, KY has 1/3 and both still have unemployment rates significantly higher than mine
Ky and Tn are coal states.. The EPA has effectively created the high unemployment in both.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:18 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,357,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
They avoided paying 2 billion in taxes. If you avoided paying that much in taxes, why would you complain about your tax rate going from 2% to 6%??

How dare you raise my taxes that I never pay!!!

Shame on you!!!!
It has been alleged by an employee. They have not been charged by the government (at least not according to the link you posted).

In our country, one is innocent until proven guilty. Are you the judge and the jury?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,357,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Avoidance would imply criminal activity. If they are utilizing existing tax law to minimize their tax bill that is perfectly legal and in fact have a corporate duty to do so.
True. It is not illegal to avoid paying more than you are legally obligated to pay by taking advantage tax laws on the books that are designed to reduce your tax bill.

Government has created many such rules to help business. They are typically referred to as "tax incentives."

Old 02-04-2014, 07:02 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Thank China and India because that's where Cat is making all of its money for the last decade.

A quick number crunch says that over the last 8 yrs I installed @ 100 million worth of cat power generation equipment right here in the good old USA And the drive off coal to gas puts Cat in line sell more engines in '14

Old 02-04-2014, 07:17 AM

45,572 posts, read 60,866,670 times
Quote:
Before you get all excited about PA and its UE rate and how it doesn't subsidize business you need to look at Keystone Opportunity Zones (KOZs) and what they do. Aside from that, the Boro of Clarion recently offered to Owens-Brockway Glass to build an entirely modern facility if they would not close down the one that was there. O-B declined the offer, closed the plant and moved production, and only a very few employees, south.

The reality is that PA, until recently, has been bleeding population for three decades. Many of those remaining who are unemployed are totally off the radar due to expiration of benefits. Add in the huge number of retirees in the Commonwealth (2nd only to FL if I remember correctly) and you will have a low UE number.

As a note, I'm one of those who bled out from PA 30 years and moved to greener pastures, although MD has changed a bit in that time.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:48 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,185,405 times
Quote:

New York is currently running a TV add that invites businesses to open there and NOT PAY TAXES FOR 10 YEARS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies