Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times

Advertisements

I came across this blog which pretty much sums up the idiocy of the far right radical Tea Party members of Congress signing on with Norquist...What the hell is this...The Thrid Reich?????

One Man, ONE MAN is DICTATING POLICY!!
This one man, Grover Norquist, Activist NOT ELECTED LEADER, meets with Republicans every Wednesday to PLAN strategies.....I don't know about you but I find that disturbing because this one man claims to make or break politicians careers. He has a poster in his office showing the politicians who broke their PLEDGE and are now jobless.
Helloooo...... Mr. President, are you listening??: One Man, ONE MAN is DICTATING POLICY!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
We just need to drastically limit the size and scope of the federal government.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We just need to drastically limit the size and scope of the federal government.
I think you clicked on the wrong thread, because your response has nothing to do with what the OP. Is everything okay?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
No. Their pledge should be to the country, the Constitution, and their constituents.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think you clicked on the wrong thread, because your response has nothing to do with what the OP. Is everything okay?
Eliminate government purview and you eliminate the inherent cronyism.
i.e. a favored few dictating to the many.

Do you need me to draw you a picture?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I came across this blog which pretty much sums up the idiocy of the far right radical Tea Party members of Congress signing on with Norquist...What the hell is this...The Thrid Reich?????

One Man, ONE MAN is DICTATING POLICY!!
George Soros?

I've never heard of Grover Norquist. So he's asking politicians to sign a 'no new taxes' pledge. Wow, big deal. I wonder how much of a cheerleader for new taxes the article's author would be if those taxes were applied to the 40some percent who pay no income taxes now?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:16 AM

78 posts, read 103,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
George Soros?

I've never heard of Grover Norquist. So he's asking politicians to sign a 'no new taxes' pledge. Wow, big deal. I wonder how much of a cheerleader for new taxes the article's author would be if those taxes were applied to the 40some percent who pay no income taxes now?
If you've never even heard of Mr. Norquist, given the hot topics of late, you really should steer clear of political discussion.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
I'm very much opposed to these pledges. They don't lend themselves to productive government, they lend themselves to stalemates. Personally, I'm not for stalemates.

Beyond locking representatives into positions no matter what, the pledges are also cop-outs. It allows an elected representative to opt-out of discussions, because why discuss, the representative is locked into a position, and Mr Norquist is there to make sure the representative stays locked. No matter what.

Because it's not like situations ever change. It's not like the representative gets new information that might make him modify his position.

I think the pledges are less than helpful. If a representative does change his position, and wants to take it to the people he represents, it doesn't matter how thoughtful or persuasive he is, that pledge will be used to bludgeon his chances for re-election.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:41 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
This is something that grammar school kids do. Adults realize that the needs and events of the real world change daily and what is good for one day is not necessarily good for the next. A person, a politician must be able to adapt, have the right to change their mind or heart. Norquist is that fat little ugly kid who tricks a cute little girl in eight grade into signing an pledge saying she will like him forever. When that doesn't work out he jumps up and down and holds his breath or cries.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
No. Their pledge should be to the country, the Constitution, and their constituents.
It's obvious the Republican Party is much more loyal to ideology than they are to the American people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies