Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
He's suspended and undergoing an internal affairs investigation. The department's chief publicly condemned his actions.
Thats a plus. This wannabe had no business being on duty.His actions have no defense. As it has been said...now a bunch of good cops are gonna have to carry the fallout from this. So what about this idiots partner who stood by and watched this go down? Why didn't he stop this? Seems he could use a thrashing as well. Thin blue line my $$.

Were this bozo my partner he would have heard me loud and clear. Gotta remember there were TWO cops there for this ...that makes the whole " it was just one cop and one incident" thing moot and raises serious questions as to how isolated this kind of nonsense is....and how often it gets covered up. It could bear some scrutiny .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
VIDEO: Canton Police Officer Suspended For Conduct During Traffic Stop

Ohioans for Concealed Carry released the video of the June 8th incident, where the driver tries to notify the officer several times that he has a gun and is a concealed carry permit holder. The officer becomes irate when he realizes the driver has a gun and starts threatening the man identified as 'William'.
John Amrhein

Read more: VIDEO: Canton Police Officer Suspended For Conduct During Traffic Stop | Canton - News - 640 WHLO-AM Akron/Canton's News and Talk Station

Old 07-22-2011, 03:28 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's why cops definitely need to have frequent and regular psychological examinations and kick out those cops that fried their 'roid-raging brains while on the job.

politicians should have to go through regular psychological screening to go more than 1 term too.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Absolutely incorrect. We have freedom of speech in this country. You clearly don't understand that concept. You can't be arrested simply because you verball disagree with the course of action of law enforcement. Again, we aren't Russia. You might want to check the latest Supreme Court jurisprudence on the matter.
oh absolutely you can be arrested if you go too far on disorderly conduct charges.

Quote:
Yet, I bet if you were accused of something that you may not have actually done and asked questions regarding that alleged offense which the cop responded you would be charged with DC, you would be the first person to change your opinion.
if i were accused of something i didnt do, which in fact i was, i would be polite yet firm with the officers. if they choose to ticket or arrest me, i would deal with it in court not on the side of the road. if i decided to question the officer about the violation, again i would do it in a polite manner so as to garner information. how you treat the cop is very important. treat them with respect, and generally you get a pass from them. treat them like they are just someone to disdain, and you are not going to get the pass you want. many times i have been pulled over for traffic violations, and sometimes i have gotten scolded by the officer that pulled me over, and yet i still left with a warning, verbal or written, even though i deserved several more tickets than i have gotten over the last 36 years and god knows how many miles of driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
QUOTE: "...perhaps the fact that the cop had pulled the guy over for a traffic violation..."

A cop pulled somebody over for a traffic violation in the second video? I thought he was walking down the street, as per the police officers first comment in the video.
the video the OP posted was a traffic stop, and that was the one i was referring to.

Quote:
QUOTE: ".. hmm, so i guess you are one of those that will support the drug dealer or other criminals when they shoot at cops for doing their jobs."

Depends what the free market participant is doing, but if his actions solely relate to engaging in a free market transaction, then yes, I will take the side of the free market participant over the anti-capitalist.
so in other words you dont want the cops taking down criminals when they do their criminals activities, gotcha. you prefer living in a criminal environment.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Seriously, I have never met an LEO who met the description you posted.
Clearly you have met many cops. Over my 20 year career as a journalist I've literally covered hundreds of cops and have met quite a few more. I count as good friends quite a few from road patrol officers to special agents with the FBI and while I strenuously object to the assertion that most cops exhibit the describe tendencies to, say that none do is naive and just plain, well you get the idea. If your impression were true there wouldn't be scores of cops who are dismissed from departments for being unprofessional, or mentally unsuitable for the position.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:38 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
oh absolutely you can be arrested if you go too far on disorderly conduct charges.

if i were accused of something i didnt do, which in fact i was, i would be polite yet firm with the officers. if they choose to ticket or arrest me, i would deal with it in court not on the side of the road. if i decided to question the officer about the violation, again i would do it in a polite manner so as to garner information. how you treat the cop is very important. treat them with respect, and generally you get a pass from them. treat them like they are just someone to disdain, and you are not going to get the pass you want. many times i have been pulled over for traffic violations, and sometimes i have gotten scolded by the officer that pulled me over, and yet i still left with a warning, verbal or written, even though i deserved several more tickets than i have gotten over the last 36 years and god knows how many miles of driving.

the video the OP posted was a traffic stop, and that was the one i was referring to.

so in other words you dont want the cops taking down criminals when they do their criminals activities, gotcha. you prefer living in a criminal environment.
The police here in CA use disorderly conduct as a sword any time someone questions their perception of events or authority. They will try to bait you in order to get you riled so that allows them to escalate a confrontation, eventually culminating in a DC arrest, which is generally tossed out of court.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:39 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
The police here in CA use disorderly conduct as a sword any time someone questions their perception of events or authority. They will try to bait you in order to get you riled so that allows them to escalate a confrontation, eventually culminating in a DC arrest, which is generally tossed out of court.
So, this happens to you often? Perhaps you should learn some meditation exercises to control your temper.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:40 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
Do You Have the Right to Flip Off a Cop? - TIME

Old 07-22-2011, 03:47 PM

11,262 posts, read 11,028,294 times
I'm probably not the first to mention this, but I'd be interested to see the cop in Post #1 stop the driver in Post #2. That would be some classic sh*t!

Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Clearly you have met many cops. Over my 20 year career as a journalist I've literally covered hundreds of cops and have met quite a few more. I count as good friends quite a few from road patrol officers to special agents with the FBI and while I strenuously object to the assertion that most cops exhibit the describe tendencies to, say that none do is naive and just plain, well you get the idea. If your impression were true there wouldn't be scores of cops who are dismissed from departments for being unprofessional, or mentally unsuitable for the position.
Well I've met lots of cops as well...worked with quite a few on various...projects, and, dealt with good and bad ones ..professionally as well. My overall view of the current crop on the street ain't really what I'd call glowing. Some recent events jaded me some. The deputies I hang with at the range are all long term vets and they don't like what they see either. The whys of this " new attitude" ..well....that's where it gets tricky. Ain't no theory can be proved or discounted. But it is agreed it does exist and is getting out of hand. We can't have cops thinking they can act like this with impunity. There's real bad guys out there need deali.g with...John Q shouldn't have to worry about being treated like a varmint when pulled over for a tail light and being cooperative with the officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies