Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We are heading into default as a nation, if 0bama's spending spree continues. It will account for almost half of our nation's entire debt by the time he ends his first term. Can't you understand this?

One trick pony??? Balancing the budget, is now a bad thing? What is the alternative? That we end up like Greece??
The alternative is . . . we end up like USSR circa 1965. Or East Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:12 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,180,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
...and then there are facts, and truths.

The fact is this last last election cycle was an historic defeat for democrats. People were infuriated over runaway deficit spending and the ever expanding power and control by government.

The truth is that nations and states are losing credit ratings, they are going bankrupt and their economies are falling into ruin, because of too much government spending, too much debt and over regulation.

We did not watch 0bama rack up about $5 trillion in new debt because taxes were too low, we saw him increase the size of the federal government and we saw him vastly increase federal spending.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,839,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually I posted that some live and die by polls and search and hunt for the poll that puts their party in the best light. If a bad poll comes out they just wait a day for a good poll and post that.

So I wasn't whining about any polls. I find it funny that people cling to polls even though they swing extreme from one day to the next.
And I was pointing out that you changed your standards [for that very reason].

Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The alternative is . . . we end up like USSR circa 1965. Or East Germany.
The libs in this country will not be satisfied until we double tax rates on all people making over $250,000, unemployment is 25% and half the nation is on food stamps, and utterly dependent on the federal government for basic necessities. Well........ you're right, 1965 USSR.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And I was pointing out that you changed your standards [for that very reason].
how is pointing out that 0bama cherry picks polls to justify his lies to the nation, and indication of him changing his standards?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
how is pointing out that 0bama cherry picks polls to justify his lies to the nation, and indication of him changing his standards?
I was wondering the same thing. ????

Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,869,709 times
Quote:
...and then there are facts, and truths.

The fact is this last last election cycle was an historic defeat for democrats. People were infuriated over runaway deficit spending and the ever expanding power and control by government.

The truth is that nations and states are losing credit ratings, they are going bankrupt and their economies are falling into ruin, because of too much government spending, too much debt and over regulation.

We did not watch 0bama rack up about $5 trillion in new debt because taxes were too low, we saw him increase the size of the federal government and we saw him vastly increase federal spending.
I do hope the GOP sees it as that, as the last election was an indictment of Congress. Congress was not working to resolve American's biggest problem, jobs. They, at least one Party, still is refusing to work on that. We will see in 2012, which of those Party's, the people see as the blockage.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
The libs in this country will not be satisfied until we double tax rates on all people making over $250,000, unemployment is 25% and half the nation is on food stamps, and utterly dependent on the federal government for basic necessities. Well........ you're right, 1965 USSR.
What gets me is . . . there is only a small % of people who even make over $250K in this country. And in some areas of the country, where housing is outrageous and COL is high, $250K ain't all that impressive.

The truth is - there are a lot of people in this country who resent folks who are making a good salary - and many of the really wealthy folks in this country (i.e. Bill Gates and Oprah Winfrey) made their money by creating something. They are not simply CEOs who get a big paycheck. And most of them give impressive amounts to charities or have trusts that give back to the community in some way.

THe people at the top represent less than 5% of the country. Tax 'em all to hell and it won't make that big a dent in this country's out of control entitlement driven budget deficit.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,334,468 times
I haven't read the threads on this post. I guess I'm just responding more to the title itself, which suggests that because the majority of people in this country agree with something that this is the policy that should be adopted. While we're at it, though, let's just remember that the majority of Americans suck at basic math (myself included, unfortunately), and know little about social sciences (something I do know about). Americans don't know their history. Outside of owning or operating a small business, they don't really understand how their larger economy works. Americans operate based on hearsay and assumptions based on the "news" that they hear on television, much of which is doctored up to appear as legitimate news when in fact representing the views of a very small minority of people (if you ever want to see a case of this, check out the video clips on Yahoo, in which Wall St. financial hacks pose as broad economic experts).

Congress, unfortunately, is listening to their constituencies. They're listening too much, I'm afraid. They're doing whatever they can to be elected and to keep getting elected. They're often actually doing the work that we Americans want them to do, but they're very rarely doing the work that we actually need them to do. And when we see the predictably abysmal results, we growl in frustration that "Warshington don't work." I think Washington can work - anytime we're ready. It's the people who vote them into power who aren't working. Unfortunately, no politician has the balls to come out and point that fact out.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
We need to cut our war spending and greatly increase taxes on the very wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies