Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:13 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,038,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
None of the conservatives here want to talk about that. And especially don't want to talk about their faux-god Ronald Reagan raising it 17 times.

Democrats invoke Reagan in support of debt-ceiling increase - TheHill.com
Context is everything. Back in the day, there was something called the Gephardt rule, which made debt ceiling increases automatic between 1979 and 1995 whenever it was necessary. Of course, it was done in much smaller increments much more frequently, rather than the $1-2 trillion free spending clearance leaps it grants today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 01:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Context is everything. Back in the day, there was something called the Gephardt rule, which made debt ceiling increases automatic between 1979 and 1995 whenever it was necessary. Of course, it was done in much smaller increments much more frequently, rather than the $1-2 trillion free spending clearance leaps it grants today.
Liberals cant add big numbers like trillions and dont comprehend that raising the debt ceiling 17 times, $100B each time, is far less than raising the debt ceiling 1 time, at $2T.. They count the number of times, rather than the total and dont at all mind embarassing themself by displaying their inability to add.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,759,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
GOP Shriekers like DeMintt (the poster boy Senator for talk radio dopes) have a certain criteria about when they care about the debt ceiling....that criteria being, when it is politically expedient to try to destroy a President, that is a good time to care about the debt ceiling.

When your own parties guy is in office asking for an increase, that is a bad time.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

So tell my why Obama should get a pass for being as big a failure as Bush and I agree that Bush at least got the employment right. I don't care who is in office when a policy is bad it is bad.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,030,403 times
I believe there was a thread started the other day about dems needing a calculator. I guess they didn't take the advice. lol

Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,050,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
So tell my why Obama should get a pass for being as big a failure as Bush and I agree that Bush at least got the employment right. I don't care who is in office when a policy is bad it is bad.
He doesn't get a pass, it's just that it's disengenious to try to try to force one sided spending cuts on him as a caveat for rasing the debt ceiling. It's completely political and isn't good for the country. Cuts and taxes should be part of budget negotiations.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:22 PM

150 posts, read 298,111 times
I think when the defense of bad policy is that it'd been done before it's a pretty weak defense. "Hey you guys made stupid decisions before, now why can't we". It's no wonder us Libertarians are on the rise in this country.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:24 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,146,328 times
Quote:
Attacking other posters who point out your errors.. Priceless
I did not attack ANYONE. Not reading a post... priceless.

Quote:
No where close to the amount of time it'll take to pay Obamas.. Obama is getting close to more debts than all of 8 years of Bushs, and you stand here moaning about debt.. oooh the humor

It's not very funny. It's unfortunate that you think it is.

Quote:
Stop embarassing yourself and become educated.
Stop embarrassing yourself.

U.S. Recession Worst Since Great Depression, Revised Data Show - Bloomberg

Quote:
Actually no.. The debt ceiling was ALREADY raised to pay for those debts.. We are now raising it for Obamas debt
Sigh.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:25 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,989,013 times
Globalists not Presidents make the big decisions.

The only way congress and the senate will listen to the people, is if they call, email, and hound them to the point they feel their golden jobs of power and corruption are at risk.

So call and write them if you want your way.

Puppets, opportunists, sell outs... that's the American political system.

Ben Franklin was a master at this bull ****.

Here is the Russian take on global affairs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsJcCowYfaM

Old 07-22-2011, 01:27 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,342,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
None of the conservatives here want to talk about that.
Probably because most of us conservatives are out working two jobs so Obama can take more of it away to help support you libs sitting at home whining about us.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:32 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,071,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
June 2002: Congress approves a $450 billion increase, raising the debt limit to $6.4 trillion.

May 2003: Congress approves a $900 billion increase, raising the debt limit to $7.384 trillion.

November 2004: Congress approves an $800 billion increase, raising the debt limit to $8.1 trillion.

March 2006: Congress approves a $781 billion increase, raising the debt limit to $8.965 trillion.

September 2007: Congress approves an $850 billion increase, raising the debt limit to $9.815 trillion.

As usual Republicans only actively concern themselves with debt and deficits when a Democrat is in the WH. When a Republican is in the WH? Not so much.
It was a mistake then and it's a mistake now. What's your point? At least the Republicans, once in a great while, learn from past mistakes whereas the Democrats keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results each time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies