Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 06:49 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
That's really funny!

Did YOU live through the Depression?

You sure SPEAK like you did.

Are you the Pot or the Kettle?
LOL
I'll be the pot you can be the kettle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:50 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't understand why I'm the brunt of criticism. It's not like I'm the one causing default. As a 24 year old, I've already lost my future, what more would you like for me to lose?
for goodness sake!

You claim Dems are terrified of the future without being able to rely on the government, when it seems you are the one with a horrible doomed view of life because of the state of the government, and with your fatalistic mentality, you wish for it to default. I find that extremely ironic. Make up your mind.

If you're so self-sufficient and lefties are so dependent why are you, in all your right leaning, the one crying about your future is lost? Make your own future, oh great self-sufficient one. I think however, you and those like you are the ones scared about your future because you likely are pretty inexperienced with the world and don't know what to do without order. Just admit it. embrace your ineptitude instead of claiming bravado over situations and outcomes you have no clue about.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
for goodness sake!

You claim Dems are terrified of the future without being able to rely on the government, when it seems you are the one with a horrible doomed view of life because of the state of the government, and with your fatalistic mentality, you wish for it to default. I find that extremely ironic. Make up your mind.
The reason is I live under a system where the failed government imposes itself on me at every aspect of my life. I'm paying 25% of my income into a failed government. I'm paying 7.65% of my income into a fund that doesn't exist. Let me alone and I won't complain.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:04 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
The only reason we are going to default is if the in the whitehouse decides not to pay our debt before whatever social/political/special interest group that is serving him.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-26-2011 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: language

Old 07-25-2011, 07:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
In medicine, sometimes the medicine can be as bad, or worse than the actual disease ie dare I say, early forms of cancer and chemotherapy. This day was coming whether or not we did it to ourselves, or the markets did it to us, as they're doing in the EU.

Short term, this is going to suck, long term, this will be great for our country, as the basic notion of living within ones means will lead us to unimaginable prosperity and a prosperity built on the stilts of entrepreneurership, sweat, hard-work, capital investment, and honesty....not debt and quantitative easing
i'm curious where you get the idea that defaulting will lead to, "living within our means."

Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm curious where you get the idea that defaulting will lead to, "living within our means."
first, it's not a default.

second, it should be at least a wake-up call for those in congress. they live large in washington DC, and i think that they really are totally clueless how the rest of americans live.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
As my 100 year old grandma, who was about 20 at the time of Great Depression puts it (in Texan, having lived her entire life here)... "my gidness, these people are crazy".

Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
first, it's not a default.
it's the government not paying it's obligations: call it what you want.

Quote:
second, it should be at least a wake-up call for those in congress. they live large in washington DC, and i think that they really are totally clueless how the rest of americans live.
How will it cause Congress to suddenly start "living within our means?"

Living within our means would necessitate severe cuts to Medicare, for example. How is defaulting (or whatever you prefer to call it) going to lead to this?

And if we allow it to happen, how does congress "getting religion" going to mitigate the damage it would do to our economy and our currency?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
How does that mitigate the damage it would do to our economy and our currency?
Sorry, our currency and economy are already damaged. A depression would weed out malinvestment, or in this case all treasury securities since they aren't worth crap anymore.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
The reason is I live under a system where the failed government imposes itself on me at every aspect of my life. I'm paying 25% of my income into a failed government. I'm paying 7.65% of my income into a fund that doesn't exist. Let me alone and I won't complain.
Quote of the day:

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

Former President Dwight David Eisenhower
Letter to Edgar Newton Eisenhower
November 8, 1954
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies