Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's behavior like this that does not endear anyone who is conservative to any gay cause.

Gay ‘barbarians’ storm Bachmann clinic demanding to be ‘disciplined’ (Video) – LGBTQ Nation

There's video on the link. It's funny and pathetic at the same time.

Why should anyone take seriously a group like this who uses guerrilla tactics to get their point across. Going into a private business to throw glitter around when they are denied access.

Private clinic, nobody twists anyone's arm to go there for treatment.
It looks pretty damn good natured and good humored to me. Hooray for the gay folks on that one and screw the Jesus jerks!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Fine then, as I can see through this thread there is judgement by both Liberals and Conservatives. So, I will tell my story.

Basically, I'm gay. I never chose to be gay. Ever. Looking back I can see signs of it from when I was 7. Slowly but surely, I started to realize what it was, around 11 maybe 12. Around that same time, people, my friends, started turning on me. I don't know why even now, no one even had a clue I was gay, they just turned on me. People would call me a 6 letter epithet for gay which starts with f, among other things. And at the same time, I fought it, and I fought it and fought and fought and fought because of what society had taught me growing up. And as I fought, I kept getting hurt, and the cuts in my soul went deeper and deeper as I fought harder and harder. "Pathetic." I would say to myself. "Who could ever love you? They'll hate you, you know. God will hate you if you can't beat this. You'll be a freak." Eventually, I came to this forum, completely by random. And I started meeting members who were gay. And they were nice people, great people even. And my opinion on gay people changed. But I still couldn't accept myself. 3 years after middle school, my torment and night mare, began, I entered high school. People there were different, they accepted me with all of my quirks, and slowly but surely, my heart and soul began to heal. Eventually, on February 23rd 2010, I came out to my best friend at the age of 15. It was a fluke really, I planned on doing it but I did. And he accepted me as I am, to which I am extremely grateful. A month or so later, after telling a lot of my core group of friends, I was talking to him about how I really wished I was straight, about how I never wanted this. I talked about how I was praying so hard for a sign that I would be ok. He gave me, in turn, a bible verse, simple, but powerful. Jeremiah 29:11, which reads
" For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

and he said "Gods got you wrapped in his arms man, and he isn't going to let you go."

Now I had never seen that verse before, or at the time as I could remember, but it gave me hope.

A month or so later I'm sitting at my computer and I look up and see the cross my grandparents gave me as a confirmation present, and on it was written Jeremiah 29:11.

A few months later in the summer I went to a Church camp up in Colorado, and I'm still having doubts. The first day I was sitting with a few people talking, and one of the guys, the guitar player for the band that was playing at this camp, was talking about Prophetic words that God sometimes plants in our minds about people we see. So, I asked him what he saw for me. He said he had nothing then but he would get back to me later if something came up. A few days later he came up to me and said that one thing was just being repeated in his mind over and over: Jeremiah 29:11. He then recited the verse to me and ask if that meant anything to me. I simply smiled and said yes.

And now here I am. 16. Gay. and Christian. I never chose to be gay, but I chose to accept it. And me being gay never sent me away from God, it simply sent me running into his arms. In turn, God was the one who helped me accept myself. So, for those of you who think you know gay people just because they're gay, and for those of you who think you know Christians just because they're Christian, and for those of you who think it is impossible for the two to co-exist, you are wrong. And I know you're wrong because I am living proof of it. And no one can ever take that away from me.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
If our base nature is greed and selfishness, doesn't that kind of make us all barbarians--not just gay people?
children are greedy and selfish, some never grow up. I do think that is what Mr. Bachmann was referrring to - young, undisciplined teens.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:08 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Bachmann supports teaching Creationism (ID) and Evolution. That's fair.
Do we get to choose who's creation myth the schools teach? Or is it by default the Christian/Biblical myth? If the latter, how is that fair in a country made up of thousands of belief systems?

And how is it fair to our students' education to teach religious mythology in science class alongside factual subject matter* like evolution? Biblical mythology belongs in a separate class alongside Greek, Roman and other world mythologies.

(* Spare me the "it's only a theory" garbage. Study up on what a scientific theory is. It's not a hunch!)

Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
I am surprise that many failed to mention that Bachmann's henchman beat of a news reporter for approaching and asking the wrong question. BTW, they didn't just throw glitter.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:34 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,364 times
Default Perfection on a stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Fine then, as I can see through this thread there is judgement by both Liberals and Conservatives. So, I will tell my story.

Basically, I'm gay. I never chose to be gay. Ever. Looking back I can see signs of it from when I was 7. Slowly but surely, I started to realize what it was, around 11 maybe 12. Around that same time, people, my friends, started turning on me. I don't know why even now, no one even had a clue I was gay, they just turned on me. People would call me a 6 letter epithet for gay which starts with f, among other things. And at the same time, I fought it, and I fought it and fought and fought and fought because of what society had taught me growing up. And as I fought, I kept getting hurt, and the cuts in my soul went deeper and deeper as I fought harder and harder. "Pathetic." I would say to myself. "Who could ever love you? They'll hate you, you know. God will hate you if you can't beat this. You'll be a freak." Eventually, I came to this forum, completely by random. And I started meeting members who were gay. And they were nice people, great people even. And my opinion on gay people changed. But I still couldn't accept myself. 3 years after middle school, my torment and night mare, began, I entered high school. People there were different, they accepted me with all of my quirks, and slowly but surely, my heart and soul began to heal. Eventually, on February 23rd 2010, I came out to my best friend at the age of 15. It was a fluke really, I planned on doing it but I did. And he accepted me as I am, to which I am extremely grateful. A month or so later, after telling a lot of my core group of friends, I was talking to him about how I really wished I was straight, about how I never wanted this. I talked about how I was praying so hard for a sign that I would be ok. He gave me, in turn, a bible verse, simple, but powerful. Jeremiah 29:11, which reads
" For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

and he said "Gods got you wrapped in his arms man, and he isn't going to let you go."

Now I had never seen that verse before, or at the time as I could remember, but it gave me hope.

A month or so later I'm sitting at my computer and I look up and see the cross my grandparents gave me as a confirmation present, and on it was written Jeremiah 29:11.

A few months later in the summer I went to a Church camp up in Colorado, and I'm still having doubts. The first day I was sitting with a few people talking, and one of the guys, the guitar player for the band that was playing at this camp, was talking about Prophetic words that God sometimes plants in our minds about people we see. So, I asked him what he saw for me. He said he had nothing then but he would get back to me later if something came up. A few days later he came up to me and said that one thing was just being repeated in his mind over and over: Jeremiah 29:11. He then recited the verse to me and ask if that meant anything to me. I simply smiled and said yes.

And now here I am. 16. Gay. and Christian. I never chose to be gay, but I chose to accept it. And me being gay never sent me away from God, it simply sent me running into his arms. In turn, God was the one who helped me accept myself. So, for those of you who think you know gay people just because they're gay, and for those of you who think you know Christians just because they're Christian, and for those of you who think it is impossible for the two to co-exist, you are wrong. And I know you're wrong because I am living proof of it. And no one can ever take that away from me.
I am so sorry for your early difficulties, but you got through them, you kept your Christian soul....with hypocrisy... and you are good ! Congrats, you will do well in life. I for one wish you well.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,364 times
Default Whoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
I am so sorry for your early difficulties, but you got through them, you kept your Christian soul....with hypocrisy... and you are good ! Congrats, you will do well in life. I for one wish you well.
I meant to say without hypocrisy, sorry.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:44 PM

132 posts, read 250,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
But that clinic doesn't go out with a big pink bus painted with rainbow stripes and snatch gays off the street, people go to the clinic strictly of their own will. Nobody forces them to go there. It's an option for some who want to change their lifestyle. So why the attack? It just shows up how irrational some gay factions are and reinforces what some people think about homosexuals.

Is there anyone around this message board who would endorse what they did? And why would anyone endorse people trespassing on private property and throwing glitter around a clinic.
It is very clear in the psychiatric medical community that allowing any patient to believe their sexual orientation can be changed is not only unethical, but clear malpractice. It is no longer done, and has never had any positive results.

The question is, why is it, that people think they can use the gay community as a punching bag, and if they respond aggressively in any way they are using "guerrilla" tactics of all things?

Look at how aggressively Jews often respond, in this case in full blown military fashion. Just a suspicion of any attack will immediately send rockets to Syrian, Lebanese or Palestinian forces/communities. Perhaps someone should ask Mr. Cantor that question. It's even more galling when its blacks who attack gays. Imagine, a people with affirmative action, special quotas, busing black kids to white neighborhood schools, et al, who attack an entire class of people, when the "privileges" they have been given were never voted on. Everyone should have the right to get married to their spouse. This is not a privilege. This is not something that should be voted on. Gays should be reacting much more than they often do.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:48 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
children are greedy and selfish, some never grow up. I do think that is what Mr. Bachmann was referrring to - young, undisciplined teens.
In his quote, it's pretty obvious he's referring to gay people. Go to 45 seconds and you'll notice he mentions homosexuals.

‪Dr. Marcus Bachmann speaks about homosexuality‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-30-2011, 05:43 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,799,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Neither is what Bachmann does in his clinic. Yet you "rabble rousers" wail on like stuck pigs about it on a daily basis.
Then tell us exactly what he does. How would you know though?

Have you voluntarily checked yourself into the clinic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies