Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

In fact 78% of probable voters think that teachers have a hard time maintining control because of what they are allowed to do. I wonder how many progs would say this is the case.

68% Say School Discipline Is Too Easy These Days - Rasmussen Reports™
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
I don't recall any serious discipline problems at the schools my children have attended.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Discipline is pretty much non-existent.
I helped out in an 8th grade class and there's lots of idle threats and "positive talk" yet the kids continued to do what they did.

Teachers are pretty restricted in the area of discipline. It takes a lot to get a kid removed from class and even then they are back 10 minutes later so what good did it do ? And parents have the final say regardless of what the kid did.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:55 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
68% of adults think discipline in public schools is too lax

32% must be idiots.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:57 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

32% must be idiots.
I was just about to post this. It's scary that it's even that high.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:06 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Or perhaps a third of us live in districts that draw from a demographic that expects and receives civility from our children.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:09 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Argumentum ad populum - RationalWiki

Quote:
This logical fallacy is often used by children as an excuse for wanting something (everybody's got one), or doing something (everybody's doing it). Despite the juvenile nature of the argument, it is often used by people who should know better, particularly by those who are trying to force other people to their way of thinking.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:15 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
One of the main reasons my kids attended private high school was due to lax discipline. It was never an issue in public elementary (sure there were some issue but it wasn't a major detriment). Unless you are sitting in honors classes, many of the high school classrooms are out of control with kids not paying attention, talking throughout the whole class period, acting out, being blatently disruptive, and anything else you can imagine.

Private school does not tolerate it, at all. You act up, you're thrown out of the class. You continue to do so, you're out of the school. Most of the kids who attend, want to be there so it seems to work.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:17 PM

84 posts, read 54,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Or perhaps a third of us live in districts that draw from a demographic that expects and receives civility from our children.
No, its because the other 2/3 don't consider it school, they think of it as free baby sitting

Old 07-23-2011, 02:26 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
One of the main reasons my kids attended private high school was due to lax discipline. It was never an issue in public elementary (sure there were some issue but it wasn't a major detriment). Unless you are sitting in honors classes, many of the high school classrooms are out of control with kids not paying attention, talking throughout the whole class period, acting out, being blatently disruptive, and anything else you can imagine.

Private school does not tolerate it, at all. You act up, you're thrown out of the class. You continue to do so, you're out of the school. Most of the kids who attend, want to be there so it seems to work.
Exactly! And as far as I'm concerned, privatizing all education is the way to go. Enough wasting all of our tax dollars and burdening the government on this joke of a public school system where kids aren't disciplined, and teachers are afraid to do anything about bad behavior. Many parents use the public schools as little more than free daycare for their rugrats anyway, and couldn't care less if they are out of control.

I know firsthand about private vs. public school because I attended both in my youth, and the difference between the two is like night & day! In private school, you had to adhere to a certain code of conduct and dress appropriately. Most parents who send their kids to private school actually CARE about the quality of education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies