Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have buyers remorse after voting for Obama?
Yes. He is not what I thought he was. I am dissappointed. 28 50.00%
No. Everything is going as I had hoped. I am happy with Obama. 28 50.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:52 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,625 times

Advertisements

There should be an option that says "I didn't vote for Obama" because I'm sure some of the people voting in this poll did not which means they can't have buyers remorse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 09:53 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Even though your poll questions, like most polls here on C-D, are "all-or-nothing" questions, I voted "no" because that's my answer to the question "do you have any regrets voting for Obama?"

Is everything going the way I'd hoped? No. Am I happy with him? Not all the time, not on all issues. Does he beat the alternatives? Hell yeah!

I totally I agree.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
As someone who stupidly voted for Obama, I can say I have buyers remorse in a big way. The only saving grace for me is I voted for him in the primary, not the general. I had to go "other" in the general. During the primary season, I fell for his majic tongue hook, line and sinker. Then I wised up.

I'm very much wishing other people wised up before they voted as well. So how about you? Do you have buyers remorse about Obama? Is he everything you thought he would be or is he just another politician. A nasty, partisan, mean one at that (going by how he demonizes ANYONE who does not go along with everything he wants to do).
I voted for Obama, and I don't regret a damn thing. I speak as someone who has voted Republican before, and I wouldn't absolutely rule it out again, but the fact of the matter if the Republican party right now is the retarded party. It's a party of stupid people, with stupid ideas, who want the stupidest people of all to show up to the polls and vote for them.

Obama hasn't been perfect, but if people would look at the facts and look past their stupid assumptions about the world around them, they might understand that the guy did inherit one hell of a mess when he took over. He inherited not just a recession but a depression.

The biggest problem I've had with Obama is that he probably pushed the healthcare debate too soon, when he should have been focusing more on the economy. I don't have a problem with his focusing on healthcare, but in retrospect, it wasn't the right time. But he probably felt it was the only time anything could be done about it, and he was probably right. But it was probably a bad decision looking back on it because, politically, it exposed him to a lot of criticism that he might not be receiving now.

Another problem I have with Obama, and with democrats in general, is that he has not always shown that he has a b@llsack. He has tried too hard to be the negotiator, and the nice guy. Screw that. Be an @ss.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Wish I wised up during the general. I forgot who I voted for in the primary. Probably Obama too since Gravel dropped out before he reached PA.
The fact that you forgot whom you voted for says a lot.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:03 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
As someone who stupidly voted for Obama, I can say I have buyers remorse in a big way. The only saving grace for me is I voted for him in the primary, not the general. I had to go "other" in the general. During the primary season, I fell for his majic tongue hook, line and sinker. Then I wised up.

I'm very much wishing other people wised up before they voted as well. So how about you? Do you have buyers remorse about Obama? Is he everything you thought he would be or is he just another politician. A nasty, partisan, mean one at that (going by how he demonizes ANYONE who does not go along with everything he wants to do).

Based solely on actions taken, Obama is too close to Bush for my taste. Rhetorically, Obama is one of the best. He bravely told the press on 7/17 that the economic recession was not part of a larger cycle, it was based on reckless and unregulated actions taken by bankers. He has repeatedly criticized his own party and is more a centrist than any President I've known. He has given into the demands of the opposing party to appease them and to compromise, something Bush would never have even conceived of doing. Obama was a far better choice than flip-flopping "insane" McCain, but if you're going to respond, at least read my status to know who I voted for.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-24-2011 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,656,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Obama hasn't been perfect, but if people would look at the facts and look past their stupid assumptions about the world around them, they might understand that the guy did inherit one hell of a mess when he took over. He inherited not just a recession but a depression.

The biggest problem I've had with Obama is that he probably pushed the healthcare debate too soon, when he should have been focusing more on the economy. I don't have a problem with his focusing on healthcare, but in retrospect, it wasn't the right time. But he probably felt it was the only time anything could be done about it, and he was probably right. But it was probably a bad decision looking back on it because, politically, it exposed him to a lot of criticism that he might not be receiving now.

His push for healthcare so quickly has also been my main gripe with him. I always thought that maybe Pelosi had a lot of influence on that. My agenda was always #1 Economy/jobs #2 Anything else. Not that I feel that healthcare reform isn't needed. Just the wrong timing.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Youngster? He will turn 50 two weeks from now. He is a middle-aged man in his prime. Why should presidents always be old geezers like McCain?
McCain was never President.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,758,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I wish I shared your optimism about Obama being able to govern for all Americans. Not because of his actual ability, but because there is such blind hatred of him out there by a sizable, vocal segment of the population, including some of the US Congress. It appears to be a segment that would gladly drag the entire country down, as long as Obama went down with it.
Well, I think the conservatives have developed such a culture of ill will and belligerence that they would have done the same to any other democrat. They despise Obama, but do you think it would have been better with Clinton? Edwards? They will try to destroy any democrat who gains power, regardless of the consequences for the country. Obama has given them surprisingly little to attack him on personally, and you know they would, in a second. Recall Ken Starr and Clinton. It is a blind lust for power and conquest that we are seeing, with alot of phony armwaving and pseudopatriotism thrown in for effect. There is no genuine desire to improve America from the TP folks I have seen. Nor is there a desire to solve our current crisis in a thoughtful, informed way. It is all about advancing the agenda of the far right and their corporate sponsors.

I hope Obama stands his ground. If their political assassination works, then so be it. He will be a one termer, but one who pointed out their lies and ill intentions, and who comported himself with intelligence and good will. But I have a feeling most Americans are with me on this one, and he will be reelected, and the Tea Partiers shown the door.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 07-23-2011 at 10:57 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 10:53 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,656,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, I think the conservatives have developed such a culture of ill will and belligerence that they would have done the same to any other democrat. They despise Obama, but do you think it would have been better with Clinton? Edwards? They will try to destroy any democrat who gains power, regardless of the consequences for the country. Obama has given them surprisingly little to attack him on personally, and you know they would, in a second. Recall Ken Starr and Clinton. It is a blind lust for power and conquest that we are seeing, with alot of phony armwaving and pseudopatriotism thrown in for effect. There is no genuine desire to improve American from the TP folks I have seen. Nor is there a desire to solve our current crisis in a thoughtful, informed way.

I hope Obama stands his ground. If their political assassination works, then so be it. He will be a one termer, but one who pointed out their lies and ill intentions, and who comported himself with intelligence and good will. But I have a feeling most Americans are with me on this one, and he will be reelected, and the Tea Partiers shown the door.
While I believe the right would have worked over Clinton in a big way, I can't help but think that the race/he is a Muslim crap takes it to a level that would not be there for someone else. And for 2012, so far, I don't see a Republican candidate yet who will get my vote. And it certainly wouldn't be one who would pander to the Tea Party.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
His push for healthcare so quickly has also been my main gripe with him. I always thought that maybe Pelosi had a lot of influence on that. My agenda was always #1 Economy/jobs #2 Anything else. Not that I feel that healthcare reform isn't needed. Just the wrong timing.
I think the feeling was, this was an opportunity for the democrats to deliver on a campaign promise, and that there was no better time than last year. Unfortunately, it p*ssed off a lot of middle-of-the-road voters, and it didn't really address the immediate economic problems, especially given that most of the real reforms didn't go into effect until about 2014. His heart was in the right place, but his mind wasn't.

Otherwise, I don't think there's much else he could have improved upon. He's been surprisingly good - better than I thought he'd be. I voted for Hillary in the primaries and I wasn't entirely sold on Obama, but I knew then and still feel he was better than the alternative. Not even close. Anyone who would have voted for McCain over Obama just has serious biases against democrats in general. Not worth wasting time discussing their hangups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies