Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:58 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,310,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Minus the Hitler reference, I actually have to agree with Glenn. When I read an article in an international newspaper yesterday, it repeatedly mentioned the "Labour Party youth unit"...or the "youth element of the Labour Party." Each time I read that descriptor it raised my eyebrow just a bit. It does sound a bit politically militant. I'm suspicious too.
So it's ok to demonize victims of terrorism because the terrorist is a right winger who identifies with the tea party?

Gotcha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,168,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
So it's ok to demonize victims of terrorism because the terrorist is a right winger who identifies with the tea party?

Gotcha
That's your interpretation of my comments. That doesn't mean you're accurate.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,786,670 times
Sounds like those guys at Fox are smarter than I thought. Beck has proven even to his followers that he is a wacko and not everything he says is well thought out.

Actually, I agree that as an American, political camps for kids seems a bit strange, but he hit a very, very sour note there. It comes from trying to spin and politicize every goddamn event in the world. All the goddamn time! Why not just be a compassionate fellow human! It is a heartbreaking tragedy whatever your politics. He appears to shed tears over a loss of American values, but where was the heartbreak when true tragedy struck?

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 07-25-2011 at 11:19 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 PM

47,022 posts, read 26,109,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
...you would understand mixing kids and politics at a political camp for kids is a bad idea.
I'm impressed with how people can make it sound as if they're 7-year olds, but I guess Glenn Beck knows his audience are emoting, not thinking.

Scandinavian political youth organizations are mostly the 16-24 year age bracket - which is actually not a bad age bracket to start getting one's feet wet in political debate, learning how an organization is run, argue fervently for a viewpoint and still lose the vote (graciously), learn how to hammer out a compromise - pretty good baggage for anyone, and in particular those who want to have a go at politics later in life. They also tend to throw some kick-ass parties.

Anyone who thinks those are top-led organizations with some sort of dictated agenda are completely ignorant of their nature. It's not at all uncommon for the youth groups to publicly criticize their "mother parties" - not that the broader public cares all that much.

Of course, the summer camps aren't purely politics - they're as much about recreation, campfires, socilaizing - and of course finding a girl/boyfriend, the camp's website is quite open about that aspect as well.

"Hitler Youth", indeed.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,786,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'm impressed with how people can make it sound as if they're 7-year olds, but I guess Glenn Beck knows his audience are emoting, not thinking.

Scandinavian political youth organizations are mostly the 16-24 year age bracket - which is actually not a bad age bracket to start getting one's feet wet in political debate, learning how an organization is run, argue fervently for a viewpoint and still lose the vote (graciously), learn how to hammer out a compromise - pretty good baggage for anyone, and in particular those who want to have a go at politics later in life. They also tend to throw some kick-ass parties.

Anyone who thinks those are top-led organizations with some sort of dictated agenda are completely ignorant of their nature. It's not at all uncommon for the youth groups to publicly criticize their "mother parties" - not that the broader public cares all that much.

Of course, the summer camps aren't purely politics - they're as much about recreation, campfires, socilaizing - and of course finding a girl/boyfriend, the camp's website is quite open about that aspect as well.

"Hitler Youth", indeed.
Thanks for the explanation Dane. I was perplexed by the concept, but what you describe sounds much more like the scandinavians I know. I lived in Uppsala, Sweden in 1989-90, and I agree that it is very unlikely that young scandinavians would "fall in line" with any party orthodoxy. And, yes, they definitely know how to party!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

"Hitler Youth", indeed.
I think you should provide us proof that these are not "top-led organizations" with a specific agenda. I find that very hard to believe. The very term "mother party" suggest that there is indeed an agenda and/or ideology that is followed.

I understand that your Scandinavian background has you coming to a natural defense, but lets be objective about it. Proof to support your statements would help your cause.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,996,177 times
Of course he is.

Beck is just trying to make it look like, ya know... the kids kinda sorta deserved to get executed...

It's what Beck does -- he's a vile piece of garbage. And, of course, hugely popular in conservative circles...

Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,119,058 times
How anyone can defend Beck after this statement or to criticize the victims in any way buggers the mind.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,310,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Of course he is.

Beck is just trying to make it look like, ya know... the kids kinda sorta deserved to get executed...

It's what Beck does -- he's a vile piece of garbage. And, of course, hugely popular in conservative circles...
When I first hear about dozens of kids being murdered in a terrorist attack my initial reaction isn't to compare the victims to Nazis.

Then again I'm not an extremist or tea party supporter.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
How anyone can defend Beck after this statement or to criticize the victims in any way buggers the mind.
Who is defending Beck? All i've seen are those of us who find it a tad bit supicious that there's an active "youth wing" of a political party. How do youth get tangled up in a political ideology to the point that they end up en masse at a political summer camp? This is about American's viewing the Norwegian ideological system a bit odd more than it is about Glenn Beck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies