Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:38 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
BTW, you Perrybots need to read the Bible. I posted this before but you 700 Club members ignored it.

“Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you” - Jesus
So now you want a theocracy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
But they don't pay him to open with ONLY christian prayers and tell him that ONLY christian prayers are allowed and that non christians are not welcome in the halls of congress, which is what perry did here.

You are letting the fact that you are a christian blind yourself to the reality that there are MANY non-chrisitans in America, and we have just as much right to be here as you do. The country shouldn't cater to christians at the expense of everyone else.

Oh the humanity indeed. If this were any other religion, such as islam, you would change your tune. But you are a schill for your religion, so you just answer with sarcasm and "truthiness".
Again, see the 1st amendment.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Yep, but you must understand these were not mandates, not requirements.

If you want to understand the separation of church and state, you have to look at the entire historical picture and what these issues pertained to.

The letter to the Danbury Congregation by Jefferson was referring to a sermon given by the pastor there. Jefferson was using that from the sermon to try and explain that what the powers of the federal government was to calm the fears of them.

Think back to the issues with Virginia and the problems it had and the work Mason did to write their Bill of rights (to which our Bill of rights was modeled after) and the fact that they were specifically oppressing people by instituting doctrinal mandates upon the people (tell them when they could worship and the like).

This was the concern of the Danbury Congregation, that the federal government would take on the role of instituting doctrinal mandates concerning religious practice and Jefferson was stating there was no power of the federal government to do so, it had no ability to institute such.

He wasn't saying an official couldn't ask for prayer or speak of God or promote morality from its teachings. He was saying they had no power to dictate such. If you read all of the statements and quotes from the founders and various important people involved back then, mentioning religion, calling on guidance through prayer, etc.. was very common and its "power" in terms of their use was simply that of motivational speak, not an order, a declaration or mandate.
Outstanding!

Thank you!

Old 08-04-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
What Perry is doing clearly violates separation of church and state. It is impossible to argue that Perry is not promoting a religion via his rally.

The best thing that may happen to Texas in a long time is Perry running for president. He will be exposed on a national level.
There is no proof for your argument.

You people can say it over and over and over and over again, but it will not become fact.

Read the 1st amendment.

Burn it into your memory.

ANYONE (of any religion) can call for a prayer meeting anywhere, any time.

That is a constitutional right.

Congress establishing a state religion is not.

Got it?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It will be interesting to see the reaction here when, not if, a Muslim Day of Prepare is proposed by a governmental official equivalent to Governor. Or a Wiccan Day of Prayer. Or a Satanist Day of Prayer.

After all, everyone has the right to assemble and a Muslim Day of Prayer has absolutely no effect on the Christians, correct? So you'll all be in complete support of all of those, as well, correct?

Can't wait to see that.

Really do think an entire course in the Constitution, complete with studying the writings of the founding fathers, should be a required course in all public schools.
A) I will support their right to do so.

B) I agree 100% that we, as Americans, should be taught the Constitution inside out.

C) It will never happen due to progressives hatred of the Constitution. And the fact that they control the curriculum.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
What religion? The Bill of Rights says the Federal government cannot endorse a particular religion, but the Constitution is silent on individuals expressing religious belief. It's also silent about the state governments paying for, or even endorsing a religion. Nine of the original states had official state religions.

Honestly...I fail to see an issue here. Can you point out to me what is wrong with this?

When the POTUS, on the other hand, endorses a religion he's wrong. That's forbidden in the 1st Ammendment.

Since when is the POTUS a member of congress?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:01 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So now you want a theocracy?
No. I don't want a theocracy and neither did Jesus.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
BTW, you Perrybots need to read the Bible. I posted this before but you 700 Club members ignored it.

“Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you” - Jesus
If we used your same logic, then all would ignore God in public, shun his praise among others and seek to banish all mention in groups. Churches would be taboo and all would deny the spread of his word to avoid such displays as you suggest.

You misuse the word of God to serve your purpose.

What Christ was speaking of are those who seek approval and praise from man, not of God. It has nothing to do with people calling out to others to pray and seek God's guidance.

You read the words as you do, but far from your heart does it sound.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 9,975 times
Default Tex. Gov. Perry's prayer needs prayer

America may be realizing this Country was founded on God. Liberals and the like continue to want to change principles that have worked and have kept America strong. Nowhere in the constitution does it imply a need to separate religion from government. Gov. Perry was simply exercising his and our "first amendment right" We could use a a man or woman in office who fears the Lord somewhat. I don't respect a politician who does not have a relationship with God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Iesn't know that some people are all in favor of what Perry is doing--so this link might run contra to their mindsets

Texas Gov. Rick Perry's misguided day of prayer - latimes.com

but I don't respect any politician who implies a special relationship with God or who uses that implied connection to market himself to the public

Perry is doing this with direct intention to gain notice of conservative voters across the US and generate sponsorship for a presidential campaign--

this article points out this prayer day is more about exclusion than inclusion and thwarts the intention of the Constitution to separate religion and government...
but as I said I know many people wonan't agreee with its pov--any more than I agree with Perry--

Old 08-16-2011, 02:13 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
How did Jesus instruct Christians to pray? I don't remember reading in Matthew about organizing a rally so every can see you pray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies