Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,143,309 times

Advertisements

It is far better to think of these as isolated, unpredictable, discrete events. It is not advisable to try to connect them in your mind with, say, the fires burning across Texas — fires that have burned more of America at this point this year than any wildfires have in previous years. Texas, and adjoining parts of Oklahoma and New Mexico, are drier than they’ve ever been — the drought is worse than that of the Dust Bowl. But do not wonder if they’re somehow connected...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...49G_story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:07 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,953,281 times
Of course they are not. Global warming reduces wind shear, which reduces the strength and the amount of tornadoes, if the brainwashed liberals would actually see through that. And the drought i the South is being caused by La Niña, which is not unusual because in years with a strong La Niña that's what usually happens

Old 07-26-2011, 11:07 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,172,380 times
Your article is confusing weather with climate. Sorry.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,259,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Of course they are not. Global warming reduces wind shear, which reduces the strength and the amount of tornadoes, if the brainwashed liberals would actually see through that. And the drought i the South is being caused by La Niña, which is not unusual because in years with a strong La Niña that's what usually happens
(1) Please don't confuse large-scale changes in vertical wind shear with micro-scale processes like tornadoes. Even in an environment that has a large-scale 'cap' (i.e., warmer air aloft, stopping convection), in some local spots, the cap can 'break' and a solo thunderstorm can pop up and drench a locality.

(2) This is true, coupled with the fact that the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) is also trending negative.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,296,330 times
Changing goal posts. It's what the church of climatology does best.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 AM

11,579 posts, read 13,957,242 times
Let's face it, the Republicans and their evil corporate masters are responsible for the changing weather patterns.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
I guess the politics of Global warming/cooling/change is more important than the science and hypothesis itself. The science seems to be gone as well as the reasoning and open-mindedness that goes with the science.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:17 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,959,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It is far better to think of these as isolated, unpredictable, discrete events. It is not advisable to try to connect them in your mind with, say, the fires burning across Texas — fires that have burned more of America at this point this year than any wildfires have in previous years. Texas, and adjoining parts of Oklahoma and New Mexico, are drier than they’ve ever been — the drought is worse than that of the Dust Bowl. But do not wonder if they’re somehow connected...
A link between climate change and Joplin tornadoes? Never! - The Washington Post

I am confused now.

Are we now accepting opinion articles as evidence?

I mean, from your link:

Quote:
Bill McKibben is founder of the global climate campaign 350.org and a distinguished scholar at Middlebury College in Vermont.
Now, I am willing to disregard the whole motive argument and dismissal of bias in order to focus on the science and data the one making the argument uses, but your opinion piece does not provide any relevant scientific data to establish its position. It uses anecdotal remedy to connect the occurrences and then opines the cause and relation. That is, there is no support at all, nothing to validate the position they make.

So, if I can not view the data and the methods they use to establish their position, I am left simply with their reputation as such (which I will not accept regardless as we are talking science, not speculative opinions), yet I must say that if I am to accept ones reputation alone as support for their opinion, Mr. McKibben would likely be the last that I accept.

That is, he is the founder of a political organization and activist group specifically on promoting the position of AGW.

So with all honesty and due respect, how can you even remotely expect us to take your response seriously?

sickofnyc,

If you would like us to discuss this, then maybe you could provide some research that is connecting such occurrences to such? Something that is tangible, that we can evaluate afor validity in its position. Do you have anything as such or is simply opinion pieces all we are to expect from you concerning this claim?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,151,358 times
Quote:
A link between climate change and Joplin tornadoes? Never! - The Washington Post
OMG what an effing moron.

There have been prairie fires for millions of years, there have been tornadoes for millions of years, there have been floods for millions of years, there have been hurricanes for millions of years.... It's called "Nature".

The only reason that they did not impact HUMANITY a million or so years ago, was because there was little or no humanity to impact.

I suppose the GIANT STORM on the planet Saturn is also caused by Earth's global warming.

Honestly, these people need a slap.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-26-2011, 01:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...49G_story.html
If you do think there is a connection what do you think about the Dust Bowl? Was that part of the changing climate as well? I think you must be a student of Al Gore's...maybe one of the few in his class this year.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies