Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:42 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,917,769 times

Advertisements

Despite what many may think, I have always approached politics and economics with an open mind and I am prepared to admit the Tea Party is nuts when it comes to this vote.

This is not because all of the emotional, progressive talking points about default, economic terrorism, blah blah blah , but rather because the Tea Party voted for this budget that created deficit spending and is now refusing to raise the limit so the budget they voted on can be implimented.

What the Republicans should have done is the following.

• Maintained a stern, but compromising outlook but eventually raising the debt limit up to the amount of the deficit they voted on.
  • Let the economic policies of the President and Democrats in the Senate continue to fail and watch the Democrats self destruct so that they can get the Presidency and the Senate.
  • Stay as far away from Obama as possible and let the ratings plummet so that no blame can be thrown to the Pubs.
  • Upon successful 2012 election, the Tea Party keeps the Republicans in line and leads the charge for the balanced budget amendment which has huge popular support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:50 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,578,866 times
Default Tea Party

The Tea Party is sent to spread chaos, and the best way to do this is to throw a monkey wrench in the gears. By doing this they hope to effectively make government grind to a halt, like a child having a tantrum that thinks "If I don't get my way, you'll be sorry!"

At least you've realized the Tea Party is nuts, that's a good first step towards the reality based community.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,917,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The Tea Party is sent to spread chaos, and the best way to do this is to throw a monkey wrench in the gears. By doing this they hope to effectively make government grind to a halt, like a child having a tantrum that thinks "If I don't get my way, you'll be sorry!"

At least you've realized the Tea Party is nuts, that's a good first step towards the reality based community.
Short term they are crazy because they are voting against something they voted on just 2 months earlier. But I support their message and they are breath of fresh air in comparison to the RINOs. It's time to balance the budget.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:06 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,300,680 times
If we do not get a balanced budget amendment our country will be bankrupt and that is NUTS IMO.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:12 AM

24,413 posts, read 27,091,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Despite what many may think, I have always approached politics and economics with an open mind and I am prepared to admit the Tea Party is nuts when it comes to this vote.

This is not because all of the emotional, progressive talking points about default, economic terrorism, blah blah blah , but rather because the Tea Party voted for this budget that created deficit spending and is now refusing to raise the limit so the budget they voted on can be implimented.

What the Republicans should have done is the following.

• Maintained a stern, but compromising outlook but eventually raising the debt limit up to the amount of the deficit they voted on.
  • Let the economic policies of the President and Democrats in the Senate continue to fail and watch the Democrats self destruct so that they can get the Presidency and the Senate.
  • Stay as far away from Obama as possible and let the ratings plummet so that no blame can be thrown to the Pubs.
  • Upon successful 2012 election, the Tea Party keeps the Republicans in line and leads the charge for the balanced budget amendment which has huge popular support.

Yay, finally someone said it.

Republicans and Democrats ALREADY created this budget knowing we would need to raise the debt ceiling, so why are they not willing to now. That isn't being responsible. First pay your bill and then fix your future habits.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:30 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,200,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Sorry, but that's an utter load of crap. You approach things with your emotions which tell you that you're conservative. You then base all of your opinions on your emotions assuming that everything that Democrats do is wrong and everything that Republicans do is perfect. It is thoughtless partisans like you that are the cause of all of our problems in this country. In your case, it is a right wing partisan and the same applies to the tree huggers.

Quote:
Your Republicans buddies are the masters of the talking point. The concern about the country's credit being downgraded isn't just a concern by the pathetic left-wing copy of you. It will drive up the deficit and thus the amount of money I have to pay back. It will also drive up interest rates which have a massive impact on the economy. Already my stocks have lost money. You probably don't have any. You're probably not looking at buying a house because what you'll pay for that will go up quite a bit. The only thing emotional here is you.
Maintained a stern, but compromising outlook but eventually raising the debt limit up to the amount of the deficit they voted on.
Quote:
The economic policies of Jesus himself wouldn't make much of a difference here. By the way, who had almost complete control of the government for the 8 years leading up to current mess we're in.

Ask yourself this. If Republicans are really so concerned about reduced spending and balanced budget amendments, why didn't they do anything about it for 6 years when they had full control of the House, Senate and Presidency? They could reformed SS. Nobody in the party would back Bush. They could have said invading Iraq is worthless and will cost too much. They didn't. They could have said drugs for seniors was just a gift to the pharma lobby. They didn't. They could have cut spending then. Did Bush even veto any bill during that time? They did a lot when it came to funding religious organizations, debating Terri Schiavo and Janet Jackson's boob, but nothing about spending.

In terms of your overall points, the HBO has data that shows the policies they put forward worked. They're the same that pretty much anyone would have done Republican or Democrat. The only difference is that if a Republican had done it, neophyte partisans like yourself would be on here claiming how well it worked.

What the Tea Party should have done is stood behind their leader and got the biggest deal possible that would have left the stock market alone, stopped economic uncertainty that is hurting the economy and actually got something done.

You approach politics with about as much of an open mind as a KKK member approaches race.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:38 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,987,397 times
Any elected representative that is willing to risk the full faith and credit of the nation, which will result in economic hardship, in order to make an ideological stance is an irresponsible extremist and has no business holding public office.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:43 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,607,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
If we do not get a balanced budget amendment our country will be bankrupt and that is NUTS IMO.
You won't get the ammendment. It's just an idiot idea. You can't tie the hands of government to be able to act in emergency situations.

I can just see it now. "WEll , my fellow Americans, we have been attacked but we can't do anything about it because we don't have the funds this year. Maybe 5 years from now we will be able to do something.

Well, we here in Washington know that the big one has hit and LA lays in ruins, the people are dying like flies but we can't do anything because we have spent all our money for this year.

It's just plain and simple an idiot idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:46 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,032,224 times
the tea party makes 100% valid points about our country and how it should be changed. but the established nincompoops wont have it. the left calling them tea baggers like a twelve year old, and are pissed for fictitious bullcrap is living proof.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:46 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,586,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Where do these people get their information? The USA is not even close to going bankrupt. God....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies