Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a Constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage throughout the U.S.?
Yes, I would support a federal ban 6 13.64%
No, I would not 38 86.36%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 01:52 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times

Advertisements

Less than a week ago, he said he was "fine" with same-sex marriage in New York and that it was an issue for individual states to decide. He's suddenly changed his tune.

Rick Perry contorts over same-sex marriage - Los Angeles Times

Too bad. I thought I might be able to support him if he entered the Presidential race. Not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 04:22 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Two different audiences, two different positions. This is news?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Rick Perry is Josh Brolin trying to play George Bush light.

Pathetic, but he is just hypocritical enough to win the nomination. Even most leading conservatives cant stand him, because he is a George Bush conservative, which is a cino.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Fortunately, even in this largely anti-gay nation, a Constitutional Amendment to ban same-sex marriage is about as likely as aliens colonizing the midwest. Not going to happen. It would merely further solidify our slow fall out of the list of 1st World, civilized nations.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:21 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Less than a week ago, he said he was "fine" with same-sex marriage in New York and that it was an issue for individual states to decide. He's suddenly changed his tune.

Too bad. I thought I might be able to support him if he entered the Presidential race. Not anymore.
Perry hasn't flip/flopped. Perry does indeed support an individual states right to decide. He supports the state of NY's decision to allow same sex marriage.

As Governor, Perry doesn't support same sex marriage in Texas. If he were governor of NY, he would not support same sex marriage in NY. But he's not governor of NY, so their decision is their right, none of his interference.

And yes, he may support an amendment to define marriage as man/woman but it's gonna be a slow flip/flop roast if that's ever gonna happen. Perry hasn't flip/flopped anything. You've only demonstrated a lack of understanding of the difference of the two issues, a state's right vs. a federal amendment.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:29 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
“Our friends in New York six weeks ago passed a statute that said marriage can be between two people of the same sex,” Perry told a gathering of several hundred GOP donors at an Aspen Institute forum. “And you know what? That’s New York, and that’s their business and that’s fine with me. That is their call. If you believe in the 10th Amendment, stay out of their business.”
I interpreted the quote to mean he has no issue with a state exercising it's rights and not indicative of his position on gay marriage.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Same Sex marriage should be left up to the individual states, just like abortion.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:46 AM

15,096 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:

I know, right? Who cares about stopping the wars and bringing our troops home .... shutting down the criminal gangsters on Wall Street and FED, reinvigorating the economy and putting Millions back to work, or preventing the total collapse of our political and economic systems. These are all such trivial matters next to the important issue of Same Sex Marriage.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:

He did not flip-flop.
He does not support it at the Federal level and never has.
He says it's a state's issue not a Federal issue.

From your link:
"Further, Miner said, there is nothing inconsistent in Perry’s support for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage at the same time he insists on letting states go their own way. An amendment would require support from three-fourths of the states, Miner said, thus allowing them to weigh in."

Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Perry is Taliban, he wants Religious FundiMENTALists to run our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies