Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,763,614 times

Advertisements

...that makes a lot of sense lol. It seems the tea baggers have weaken their own party's bargaining power.

'Very close' to a debt deal, Senate's top Republican tells CNN - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:16 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
You must not know how to read because is almost exactly like the Republicans previous plan minus the Balance budget amendment (and the only reason it was included was to get the bill passed in the first place)... so it looks more like the Republican plan than the Democrats plan... so learn to read, its fundamental... and to the detail-oriented person out there, they would also note that the plan is ALMOST exactly like Boehner's plan which meant ALL of this posturing and obstructing was the Democrats...

Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times
So let me get this straight - no new tax increases, no jobs (hence no tax revenue coming in that way), foreclosures (hence no property taxes coming in that way), no real spending by many (so no sales tax revenue coming in that way)...just where is the government going to get the money to continue on? Who is going to drive this economy in terms of spending when no one has any money to spend? The rich will hoard their cash, the middle class and poor class continue to have their jobs outsourced and many are being cut off from unemployment, so they are really not out spending. 70% of our economy is driven by spending. Just how is this supposed to work and why and where are the discussions concerning jobs which is the REAL crisis in this country?

Also, it would be really nice if they'd provide some detail as to just what these cuts in entitlements (I hate that word, especially since people worked and paid into social security during their lives and the military does do its job) are to be.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You must not know how to read because is almost exactly like the Republicans previous plan minus the Balance budget amendment (and the only reason it was included was to get the bill passed in the first place)... so it looks more like the Republican plan than the Democrats plan... so learn to read, its fundamental... and to the detail-oriented person out there, they would also note that the plan is ALMOST exactly like Boehner's plan which meant ALL of this posturing and obstructing was the Democrats...
Aren't we (or shouldn't we be) beyond petty party bickering at this point? Don't we have bigger fish to fry?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Aren't we (or shouldn't we be) beyond petty party bickering at this point? Don't we have bigger fish to fry?
The bickering stops when the other sides stops first... its not a one-way street...

Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The bickering stops when the other sides stops first... its not a one-way street...
Well, I guess you can stop your bickering right now, at least with respect to me.

It's time to put all this stupid bickering aside by both parties and look at the big picture here - and it's a serious one that calls for energy being directed at solutions and not pointing fingers.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Passing the Boehner plan, I have a feeling that our credit rating is due for a downgrade even if this passes. Hell if I was Moody's, I would downgrade the U.S.'s credit rating even with this legislation since it doesn't call for a balanced budget even remotely in the near future. That $3 trillion in cuts, is after 10 years. So basically, only $300 billion will be cut per year. Somehow I think after 10 years the budget is still not going to be balanced due to rising Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and potentially ObamaCare costs

Old 07-31-2011, 09:49 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Public opinion has shifted in the past year to a demand for a smaller, fiscally responsible government--at least among a significant portion of voters. Even Democrats have responded to this shift in the political winds.

From what I have read, a number of plans have been offered, not necessarily plans that are being given any attention and even people here on CD have made some good suggestions, e.g. cut out foreign aid. There are countless agencies and bureaucracies--even Cabinet departments--that could be eliminated or severely cut back. But the politicians want to scare the public by threatening that Social Security, SSI, veteran benefits, etc. will be the first to fall.

Senator Tom Coburn sent a letter to his senate colleagues with some clear and specific ways to cut $9 trillion from the budget over 10 years. His letter can be read at this link:

9,000,000,000,000 Ways to Balance the Budget - Right Now - Tom Coburn, M.D., United States Senator from Oklahoma

Quote:
Nearly everyone in Washington agrees we must reduce the deficit, but few offer any specifics as to how to do it. Last week, I released a report, BACK IN BLACK, outlining thousands of detailed budget options within every federal department and nearly every major program that, if taken together, would result in savings of more than $9 trillion over the next decade.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,145,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, I guess you can stop your bickering right now, at least with respect to me.

It's time to put all this stupid bickering aside by both parties and look at the big picture here - and it's a serious one that calls for energy being directed at solutions and not pointing fingers.
People who are in the wrong always want the ones in the right to 'stop pointing fingers'.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Passing the Boehner plan, I have a feeling that our credit rating is due for a downgrade even if this passes. Hell if I was Moody's, I would downgrade the U.S.'s credit rating even with this legislation since it doesn't call for a balanced budget even remotely in the near future. That $3 trillion in cuts, is after 10 years. So basically, only $300 billion will be cut per year. Somehow I think after 10 years the budget is still not going to be balanced due to rising Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and potentially ObamaCare costs
The downgrade will happen regardless of what plan is passed... that is completely clear, the Credit agencies have said explicitly that the cuts must be extremely deep and 3 Trillion is only halfway decent... and nobody has proposed deeper enough cuts... What amazes me is that SS, Medicare, and Medicaid are the first to be chopped up... There are literally thousands of unnecessary programs that can be stopped or reduced before the other entitlement programs get turned into sushi.... but they are pretty much untouched... I do understand that Medicare, SS, and Medicaid occupies the biggest chunk of our spending, but I rather cut $1 in some nebulous program before I cut $1 in SS, Medicare, and Medicaid... In fact, I don't think its even necessary to cut SS because it is entirely solvent IF the government stops stealing from SS... why are they cutting these programs before the other worthless programs... I just don't get it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies