Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Ask President Bush and let us know if he gets back to you.
Why go back that far? Don't we have a spender par excellence working in the White House today? I think we do but you would rather blame Bush for all of today's spending. Does this kind of thinking make me a racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 01:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
We pay something like $600 B in interest alone every year. Has it not occurred to any of the progressives on here what we could do with that money if we weren't giving it away for interest? Why not make it a priority to pay off that debt?
Yea, it occurred to me.

Know what else occurred to me? How nice it would be if about 500 billion of those 700 billion defense dollars DIDN'T go for defense and what we could do with that money. Oooops...sorry, wrong topic.

In any case, we should make it a priority to pay back the debt. On that i agree.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Calvin, despite what the LimBeck machine has told you, there are many liberals who are concerned with fiscal responsibility, just as their are many conservatives who are not. (Dick "deficiets don't matter" Cheney come to mind.) If you cared to liberate your mind from the stupid left/right axis, you might cease being part of the problem and begin being part of the solution.
Have you noticed that a very high number of our Congress critters seem to be agreeing on the illegally drawn up and proposed bill that is taking up all their time? If not listen to some news.

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why go back that far? Don't we have a spender par excellence working in the White House today? I think we do but you would rather blame Bush for all of today's spending. Does this kind of thinking make me a racist?
Why do you ask Roy? Do you WANT to be called a racist?

I mean really....what does race have to do with the point you're making?

954 posts, read 1,281,133 times
Quote:
No, but is of questionable logic. Obama inherited two wars started by, and mismanaged by Bush.

There's no question that both parties are fiscally irresponsible, all concerned merely with short term re-electability. However, Bush Jr. really screwed this country over, and despite Obama being a kinda crappy president, he's not yet matched the levels of crapitude reached by Bush Jr.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:44 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Why not make it a priority to pay off that debt?
Not a bad idea. How many carriers should we scrap?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:04 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
No, I just enjoy calling out people who conveniently gloss over Bush's deficit increases while laying 100% of all blame for everything wrong in the U.S. at Obama's door. It's almost as if Bush were never president the way some of you talk...

Old 08-01-2011, 02:04 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Calvin, despite what the LimBeck machine has told you, there are many liberals who are concerned with fiscal responsibility, just as their are many conservatives who are not. (Dick "deficiets don't matter" Cheney come to mind.) If you cared to liberate your mind from the stupid left/right axis, you might cease being part of the problem and begin being part of the solution.
I'm not seeing it. Honestly..I'm not. Skippy came in and despite being $8 T in debt...he runs it up to about $14 T in 2 years.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:07 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, it occurred to me.

Know what else occurred to me? How nice it would be if about 500 billion of those 700 billion defense dollars DIDN'T go for defense and what we could do with that money. Oooops...sorry, wrong topic.

In any case, we should make it a priority to pay back the debt. On that i agree.
I honestly agree that we could probably cut quite a bit--I think we've got some overseas bases that cost a lot of money. In addition to that, imagine what we could do to help the needy if we weren't giving it away in interest payments!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:11 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
I'm not seeing it. Honestly..I'm not. Skippy came in and despite being $8 T in debt...he runs it up to about $14 T in 2 years.
Well, I'm one of those liberals. I think running up that much debt in two years was unwise, even if it was well meaning, (unlike some of Bush's spending) so in a way I blame both parties for the deficit mess. But I do wish more right wingers would acknowledge that Bush played a HUGE role in the fiscal mess we're in. They never talk about that, and its hypocritcal.

I also think that the tea party's approach to it was awful. Absolutely awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies