Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:48 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,349,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, it occurred to me.

Know what else occurred to me? How nice it would be if about 500 billion of those 700 billion defense dollars DIDN'T go for defense and what we could do with that money. Oooops...sorry, wrong topic.

In any case, we should make it a priority to pay back the debt. On that i agree.
What you just did was much like attorneys saying things to juries and being told they shouldn't and then the juries being told to forget that. You could have deleted that sentence before posting it, but didn't. Now are we all to forgot what you said?

It was humorous, to me, and I think that if we stop spending for defense we will have no military and then it will be easier for certain parties to take over our government with no opposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,814,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
We pay something like $600 B in interest alone every year. Has it not occurred to any of the progressives on here what we could do with that money if we weren't giving it away for interest? Why not make it a priority to pay off that debt?
I have heard that idea many times, here in Portugal as well. Paying back all debt now in order to get rid of the interest payments, sounds interesting (if that is what you meant). But the existing debt is just too big It would bring about great poverty in the short term.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why do you ask Roy? Do you WANT to be called a racist?

I mean really....what does race have to do with the point you're making?
Race has not one damned thing to do with it as far as I am concerned but it was a lack of agreement with the President and I have been called racist over and over for not voting for him and disagreeing with him so often. I guess me not liking is very racist since he is a black man.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not a bad idea. How many carriers should we scrap?
How about enough to give the Chinese navy a shot at control of the seas? That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
No, I just enjoy calling out people who conveniently gloss over Bush's deficit increases while laying 100% of all blame for everything wrong in the U.S. at Obama's door. It's almost as if Bush were never president the way some of you talk...
Throw out some of my words that were aimed at protecting the record of Bush just for kicks. I think that they will be attached to those who were blaming him and trying to change the debate from Obama. How long has it been since Bush left office? Yesterday or the day before?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:56 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,679,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Yeah, too bad. And too bad the malfeasance of the guy before Bush failed to attend to protecting the U.S. which resulted in the cold blooded murder of more than 3000 of my closest friends.

Too bad. But none of that is going to change anything. We have debt and it's costing us more every day.

What are we going to do about the debt? You can bash Bush but the basket is still empty and losing more cash everyday.
Yeah it really is too bad that abortion of a president spent so much, isn't it? It's also too bad he didn't listen to Clinton's expert on Al Qaeda. I'm sorry to hear all of those who lost their lives were your closest friends. What are the odds? My condolences.

About this debt, like the overwhelming majority of Americans, I think we should cut spending and raise taxes. And we should go ahead and pass a balanced budget amendment so when another drunken idiot is in office he can't spend us into oblivion again.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:58 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,884,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why go back that far? Don't we have a spender par excellence working in the White House today? I think we do but you would rather blame Bush for all of today's spending. Does this kind of thinking make me a racist?
No, but I wonder why you would consider using the word in an argument where it shouldn't be anywhere in the radar. You could have just said... Bush had a plan in 2001, to pay off the entire debt... using tax cuts. Realities begged to differ, however.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:00 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,239,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
If the budget that they left in place would have been allowed to run its course, the debt would have been entirely paid off by 2012. Sounds good to me. Too bad Bush happened.
You said that before, I posted the facts, no reply.

Again, income among those making over $200k a year dropped by 26% between 2000-2002. The budget you cite assumed an increase in income among that cohort equal to the increase from 1998-2000.

The dot com bubble and corresponding stock option sales was a once in a lifetime event, budgeting off that bubble was foolish, just ask Gray Davis of CA.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The answer is you remove the tax breaks and pay your bills.
Casper
Yep, take from the rich and give to the poor. That is what our tax system today is as is so easily seen by the number of people who pay no income tax but do get those refund checks. Maybe changing to the Fair Tax would take care of the whole thing since that 50% wouldn't have to pay with that one either.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
If the budget that they left in place would have been allowed to run its course, the debt would have been entirely paid off by 2012. Sounds good to me. Too bad Bush happened.
What was the budgeted amount spent the last two years? I can't find a record of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies