Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:10 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,362,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Since when is AIDS a genetic mutation? Lol

Did somebody skip class in middle school?
As a gay man who gets HIV tested every six months, I am very well aware of what AIDS is, how it is transmitted, and how to protect oneself from it. Despite my supposed "lack of genetic diversity" for being a blond blue eyed white guy. Lol.

Back on topic though, you speak of genetic diversity as a good thing, but let's say you have a homogenous population of people who are free from genetic illness. Then, for diversities sake you let in someone different. As it turns out, this newcomer has multiple sclerosis and has reproduced within our previously healthy population. Now all of their descendants are cursed with a chance of getting this sickness.

The Amish have much higher rates of dwarfism within their community, but significantly less rates of autism. Isolating gene pools can have positives and negatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,362,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
One ancedotal situation does not constitute a scientific truth. The fact of the matter is that American Indians suffered a massive decline in their population when they first came into contact with European settlers because they had not been exposed to small pox. Far more Indians were killed by disease than any combat with European settles.
Sounds like those native Americans had weak immune systems. I'm glad my ancestors didn't breed with them and pass that undesirable trait to me. My brother is half white half native american (his father is Hispanic, but I'd be flabbergasted if that guy had any white in him). My poor brother was always sick and overweight. Even to this day. He also has asthma which he inherited from his father. His greater genetic diversity than mine didnt do him much good.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:08 PM

3,326 posts, read 3,179,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
But my point is that the OP pointed out that intra-racial breeding leads to genetic mutation. So either way we're screwed, since if we all mix into the same race we'll be back where we started.
I am unaware of that and no link was provided. Having said that genetic mutations occur all of the time. Most of them harmful, some of them beneficial, others somewhere in between. Do you realize everyone with blue eyes is related? Sometime between 10,000 and 15,000 years ago a single human was born with blue eyes. Everyone on earth with blue eyes is related to that single individual and hense to each other. Blue eyes were a mutation. So, screwed we're not, at least not because there are phenotypical differences in human beings. Just say no to the uber-race crap. It's a loser idea.

Last edited by Dutchman01; 08-05-2011 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Sounds like those native Americans had weak immune systems. I'm glad my ancestors didn't breed with them and pass that undesirable trait to me. My brother is half white half native american (his father is Hispanic, but I'd be flabbergasted if that guy had any white in him). My poor brother was always sick and overweight. Even to this day. He also has asthma which he inherited from his father. His greater genetic diversity than mine didnt do him much good.
No, they had immune systems that had not been exposed to several different pathogens. Native americans now have the same ability to fight those diseases as our ancestors did then. If you brother is sick and overweight it has nothing to do with either his hispanic (native american) or white heritage.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Race has nothing to do with tribalism. Tribalism has nothing to do with genetics.As long as there are religions, cultures, social standings, and languages, there will always be divides and tribalism.

Tribalism only affects those who are ignorant. You can have different cultures and peace at the same time.
I was addressing the idea some american liberals/leftists have that there would be no racism if there were only one race. I'm surprised you didn't see that point. Did you read the op?

Old 08-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Sorry, but you are way off base here. the left don't want want for everyone to be of one race, that would destroy the majority of their pandering for votes. The left likes to pander to minorities by telling them, they are less then white people and need help to succeed in life.
I'm guessing you didn't read the op either.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Diversity is about as necessary as feces floating in a swimming pool. Thanks for starting the White Guilt Thread Of The Day though. These are always good for comic relief.
I'm an anglo-saxon with conservative political leanings. I have no white guilt. I reserve that malady for my liberal/leftists brethren. Having said that, unlike you, I'm somewhat unsettled by this talk of the superiority of a single race. We all know the consequences of such thought.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Whatever happened 40,000 years ago is not relevant to the modern day in any way.
I couldn't disagree with you more.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:32 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,916,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
How is it necessary?
Years and years ago... whites where in Europe. Blacks in Africa. Asians in ..Asia..middle eastern people in.. the middle east... and then the Natives in North America..

Didn't they all do just fine before we all started to merge together?

I'm not against it at all, but I don't see how it's "necessary"????
um .. because the government says it's necessary and tries to force diversity on everyone.

I don't have a problem with diversity at all, as long as it's a natural diversity.

The government takes something natural, and legislates it into something that might be un-natural ..

Old 08-05-2011, 05:34 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,042,356 times
Quote:
Perhaps, those who oppose diversity did not do their research of the importance of genetic diversity. Humans who breed within the same gene pool create genetic mutations, which can cause defects in human populations. Cross breeding is necessary from a biological view point. Do research. There are numerous studies on why race preservation is unhealthy and a threat to the human race.
I thought you were going to go after diversity in the social sense, not the genetic sense. Demanding diversity in the social sense kind fo annoys me. Too often it's getting a lesser qualified employee, or student for the sake of diversity. And it's done at the expense of quality. And if we're going for true diversity, why not put in the effort to include those who think differently rather than those who simply look differently?

But how about this genetic diversity? Well, generally speaking it is a good thing. I'm not for insisting on genetic diversity as a social goal, but I am definitely for removing all obstacles that would impede it. Truth is, I have spent much of my adult life trying to advance this kind of diversity. Unfortunately the black and Asian women I've encountered don't seem to find me as attractive as I find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies