Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:18 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,202 times

Advertisements

The jobs were outsourced to China .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
The term is "Yellow Collar" now because all of them jobs are in China

Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Whatever happened to the guy who worked hard, fought the bosses for a decent wage and benefits, saved for his kids' futures, and invested in America. I miss the old Irish, Italians, Polish immigrant guys who were smart enough to know that they had to fight for themselves, and that their bosses were smart enough to fight for themselves. Capital vs. Labor is an old and necessary power struggle. Capital seeks profit, labor seeks life quality for the people. We need both, equally matched.

I have only seen those guys in two places. Pittsburgh and Butte, MT. And of course many hispanic guys work hard and vote democrat.

Most white working class are now fighting to get rid of unions and to cut taxes for their bosses.

What is up?
Still here working everyday in a company union, I work at a refinery in the northeast. We have a pretty good working relationship with the refineries owners. Most of the non union trades were booted out years ago due to a poor safety record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
China and India.
Right here in the good ol USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Now, they are interested in a case (30 -12 oz cans) of Bud Light.
I prefer PBR, but Jack Daniels will do in a pinch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't know, but i'm a black Blue Collar Democrat. So is most of my family.
I'm the first union employee in my family, but it wasn't really my choice, and being a welder, I'm certainly not complaining.
I have nothing against my non union counterparts, north, south, east or west. I just wish everyone could get back to work.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:51 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Maybe they got tired of being called racist over any disagreement with Obama/far left policies.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:51 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Whatever happened to the guy who worked hard, fought the bosses for a decent wage and benefits, saved for his kids' futures, and invested in America. I miss the old Irish, Italians, Polish immigrant guys who were smart enough to know that they had to fight for themselves, and that their bosses were smart enough to fight for themselves. Capital vs. Labor is an old and necessary power struggle. Capital seeks profit, labor seeks life quality for the people. We need both, equally matched.

I have only seen those guys in two places. Pittsburgh and Butte, MT. And of course many hispanic guys work hard and vote democrat.

Most white working class are now fighting to get rid of unions and to cut taxes for their bosses.

What is up?
A lot of the people you describe were always, at heart, very socially conservative. There was room in the Dem Party for conservatives then (still is), and there was enough of the old union solidarity from the 30's for the workers to stick with the Dems, up to a point. They were, after all, working stiffs- the GOP was for rich folk and Mangaement types.

However, these white middle class types left the Democratic Party in the 60's and 70's, in response to what they saw as the Dems creating an overly permissive, too-liberal society. The civil rights movement alienated lots of whites. The Free Speach Movement, the women's rights movement, the Viet Nam War, race riots, assasinations, extraordinarily high crime rates, all made them feel like society was coming unglued. The Dems had been mostly in charge, politically, so they got the blame. At the same time, their unions became corrupt and ineffective. Factories closed, and they found themselves competing with poor blacks for jobs.

Manditory school integration hit, complete with forced bussing. That was the last straw. So strong was their fear and resentment of societal changes, whites began voting (arguably) against their own economic interests. Wallace ran two campaigns based on white fear and resentment, the GOP mastered the strategy, and, for the last forty years, the white middle class has been largely a GOP base. The amygdala won out over the cerebellum.

Last edited by Gurbie; 08-04-2011 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
A lot of the people you describe were always, at heart, very socially conservative. There was room in the Dem Party for conservatives then (still is), and there was enough of the old union solidarity from the 30's for the workers to stick with the Dems, up to a point. They were, after all, working stiffs- the GOP was for rich folk and Mangaement types.

However, these white middle class types left the Democratic Party in the 60's and 70's, in response to what they saw as the Dems creating an overly permissive, too-liberal society. The civil rights movement alienated lots of whites. The Free Speach Movement, the women's rights movement, the Viet Nam War, race riots, assasinations, extraordinarily high crime rates, all made them feel like society was coming unglued. At the same time, their unions became corrupt and ineffective. Factories closed, and they found themselves competing with poor blacks for jobs.

Manditory school integration hit, complete with forced bussing. That was the last straw. So strong was their fear and resentment of societal changes, whites began voting (arguably) against their own economic interests. Wallace ran two campaigns based on white fear and resentment, the GOP mastered the strategy, and, for the last forty years, the white middle class has been largely a GOP base. The amygdala won out over the cerebellum.
Thanks for posting!

You've perfectly demonstrated the condescension and snobbery that will relegate the Democrats to minority status for the foreseeable future.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:29 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Thanks for posting!

You've perfectly demonstrated the condescension and snobbery that will relegate the Democrats to minority status for the foreseeable future.
So, because you think someone is condescending, you would vote against your own economic interests? I don't see the point of that. It sure seems naive to believe that cutting taxes on the wealthy will protect you from snobs. For all your attacks liberal snobs, the rich will return the favor by sending your job to India. Besides, political parties aren't social clubs. They are ways to organize and make sure your voice is heard. Capitalism always seeks the worst feasible deal for labor, it cares for only profit. And since the worker is so completely outmatched, organized labor is the only feasible way to negotiate.

We will see if your prediction is right. People are hitting the end of their unemployment benefits and the super wealthy are on a spending spree. Luxury sales are up. Let's see how long people put up with that.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
As a former union worker, I saw first hand how the union was in bed with the bosses and only interested in increasing the number of dues paying union members.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't know, but i'm a black Blue Collar Democrat. So is most of my family.
Way to go! In a reread of my post, I forgot to include black workers. Yes, blacks seem to vote in their interests, which keeps the fight going. More power to you!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
As a former union worker, I saw first hand how the union was in bed with the bosses and only interested in increasing the number of dues paying union members.
Good point. Yea, union corruption must have been another factor. Some of those guys were real tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies