Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:27 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Definitely need to get NoVA real estate off its artificially overpriced levels.
It is not artificially overpriced. People pay a lot for housing here because that is where the action is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 06:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Two things:

1) Don't replace retiring feds

This was published in August 2010. The intent was to talk about the federal workforce brain drain due to the aging of the workforce but I want to use the same data to show there is a more humane way to save money than reduction in pay or reductions in force plus it will not negatively impact unemployment percentages so it is politically palpable.

"One of the most significant challenges that the federal government is facing is the “graying” of its workforce. According to a report compiled by the Congressional Research Service, the federal workforce increased in age significantly in the last decade. The percentage of federal employees aged 55 or older rose from 15% in 1998 to more than 24% in 2008. As reported by The Washington Post, OPM has also projected that 20% of all permanent, full-time federal employees will retire by the end of 2014."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

Just let them retire and don't replace them except for one-of-a-kind jobs. A lot of older feds are in the Headquarters operations. They have risen in the ranks over the years and their last stop is headquarters. They make more money than the people who work in field offices. Also, some headquarters positions merely exist to justify the existence of an executive position. So, not only will attrition weed the federal workforce but you will be eliminating more higher paying jobs.

2) Span of Control

Congress needs to look at span of control in federal agencies and ask the question, "Why do higher graded employees in Headquarters jobs need so much first line supervision?" Some high graded first line managers manage a handful of employees in headquarters compared to field offices where lower graded first line managers have double and triple the number of low graded employees reporting to them. Why? Again, is it merely to prop up the justification for executive Headquarters positions? Executives are not on the general payscale.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
How about sever restriction on executive compensation. Say through a 99% income tax on everything over 500 grand. That would save the economy a lot of money.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:22 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
How about sever restriction on executive compensation. Say through a 99% income tax on everything over 500 grand. That would save the economy a lot of money.
What do you think would actually happen if such a tax were levied?

Every US corporation would:

- create new deferred compensation programs not subject to the tax
- accelerate the move of companies to other countries with more favorable taxation practices
- lobby to tax other highly paid people, such as Hollywood liberals who earn far more per year than corporate executives

The tax lawyers and CPAs that work for successful companies are far more talented than the people that work for the IRS or the feds.

You should think through what you really suggest. None of this wasteful activity would produce jobs or improve the well being of Americans.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Too lazy to look this up but I'm wondering how big the federal government's payroll is and how much it would save were we to cut those salaries by 10%. I'd rather see that than a reduction in Medicare or Social Security benefits.
To quote the Eagles "when hell freezes over"

Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Too lazy to look this up but I'm wondering how big the federal government's payroll is and how much it would save were we to cut those salaries by 10%. I'd rather see that than a reduction in Medicare or Social Security benefits.
There are plenty of poor Federal Employees too. I'd rather see a cap of $250,000 a year on ALL Federal Employees including Military. I recall there was such a cap in the past.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:35 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Cutting federal worker salaries would severely restrict the quality of lawyers and doctors the government could hire.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Better yet get rid of most of them and shrink the federal government. Most of them that I have dealt with over the years are useless anyway!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Oh wait, I can't say that.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:12 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
I don't understand conservates anymore. They focus on the pay of government workers, but don't bat at an eye at the gigantic amounts of cash the rich are raking in at the same time they are paying the least amount of tax since the 1920's. Sad, just really sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies