Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 04:39 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Honestly, I think they've given up. I do mention it often to people - that we have no business being there and need to pull out in addition to closing down bases, but the RWers never seem to get that concept so why bother.

They've had it and maybe they are trying to figure out a way just to leave this country. Oh, and I signed Obama's BD card last year and told him to end the wars.
Yeah I'm sure the ones howling about leaving were the ones signing up to be human shields for sadaam too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 04:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
We're still here. It's been 10 years. There are many people pissed off about Obama's lack of action including myself. I voted for him for many reasons, two of them being the shut down of Guantanamo and ending the useless wars overseas. Waste of lives and money!
I was very concerned about the policies and direction Obama would take this country before he was elected - so was pretty disappointed when he got into office. However, I kept telling myself that perhaps something good would come out of this - if only to get our soldiers out of the middle east (and I mean - out of Iraq and Afghanistan - both) . . .

The one thing I consoled myself thinking has never occurred. Yet, that was a really big issue in Obama's campaign. Instead, I see him escalating tensions in the middle east . . . and sending weapons to Libya.

What a mess. At least the man could have followed through on that one campaign promise - wh/ btw - would have also greatly reduced our burgeoning national debt.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
We're still here. It's been 10 years. There are many people pissed off about Obama's lack of action including myself. I voted for him for many reasons, two of them being the shut down of Guantanamo and ending the useless wars overseas. Waste of lives and money!

Absolutely! I like Ron Paul's statement; "We marched right in, we can march right out".

We should end all wars. Declare victory and exit in 30 days...

Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, maybe it's because they don't make the front page of the news anymore.
Then your issue is with the media, not the protesters. Most of the protesters haven't actually gone anywhere! KU started this thread arguing that antiwar protests have ended since Obama was inaugurated. A 10 second search on YouTube proves beyond a doubt that's not the case. So it looks like we've got yet another KU thread based on an entirely faulty premise!

Old 08-06-2011, 04:42 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times
Quote:
No, maybe it's because they don't make the front page of the news anymore.
So first you claim that protesters aren't protesting any more, because they're okay with wars when they are being waged by Obama.

Then, we point out that people ARE still protesting, and now it's about the evil mass media not covering the protests like they did under Bush.

I'm not responsible for the mass media, but those of us who were against the wars back when they begun haven't changed our minds, so that answers your question "What happened to all the anti war protesters" quite definitively.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
There is almost certainly a contingent that doesn't care any more that Bush is out of the White House, but there is still a strong anti-war movement that is being ignored just as much as they have been for the past 8 years. Pity, because if people had listened to them we could have spared the lives of thousands of American soldiers, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, and about a trillion dollars in government spending.

I agree. But they don't get any attention.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah I'm sure the ones howling about leaving were the ones signing up to be human shields for sadaam too.
Yet another thing we had no business being involved in. What is up with you RWers who just love wars?

Old 08-06-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
I'm not responsible for the mass media, but those of us who were against the wars back when they begun haven't changed our minds, so that answers your question "What happened to all the anti war protesters" quite definitively.

I seriously doubt there are anywhere near as many protesters today as there were 5 years ago.

Yes, some are still protesting. But many just used those events to rag on Bush and they are now silent.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:46 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt there are anywhere near as many protesters today as there were 5 years ago.

Yes, some are still protesting. But many just used those events to rag on Bush and they are now silent.
Resigned with a sense of learned helplessness at this point is more like it.

Now that the tea party kooks are running the GOP, how can anyone hope for anything good? I, personally, give up.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,372 times
Quote:
I agree. But they don't get any attention.
The attention they were getting at the beginning of the Iraq war was explicitly derisive. Turns out they were right. I know that Obama said often during the campaign that he would not be ending the war in Afghanistan, at least not immediately, but I was expecting us to be pretty much entirely out of Iraq by now, which we're just not.

And the antiwar protests have been getting very little attention since 2003, no matter how many show up, however much KU may believe to the contrary. A tea party protest that turned out to be half the size of anti-war protests got minute-by-minute coverage, and the explicit backing and support of a major cable news network. It's not the protesters' fault that the media has had been biased against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies